General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Bad Starter? Please help.

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2019, 09:05 PM

Bad Starter? Please help.

Went to get my Olds across town to bring it home to my new garage. I have been driving it for about a year now. The battery seemed weak, cranked it for about 10 seconds and the battery pretty much died. I turned off the key and the starter kept cranking. I got out pulled the positive battery cable which felt hot, touched it to the terminal again and got alot of sparks.
So what do you think? Fried solinoid? The starter was new when i built the car, Power Master starter.My main dash harness and ignition harness are both new reproduction harnesses. I had to use the Power Master R terminal diode wire.
It has had no problem cranking up to this point. I am majorley bummed! Anyone know what the problem might be.
The carb has been rebuilt, there are no internal leaks but i generally have to crank it for 5-10 seconds, long enough for the oil pressure gauge to start showing pressure. This is because the gas seems to evaporate or drain out. Then i know i have gas in the carb, pump it a couple of times and it will then start. I only drive it on weekends usually.
Any help would be appreciated, ill go back tomorrow and start trouble shooting.
Thanks
Steve
Old January 13th, 2019, 03:24 AM

The starter is hung in the flex plate, if you turn the crank shaft counter clockwise it should kick it's self out, should be able to to with just your hands on the crankshaft pulley.
A weak battery will do what you said happened, charge the battery before cranking again or use a good battery to jump yours off.

Good luck Johnny
Old January 13th, 2019, 06:51 PM

Well Toy you were right. The starter drive was stuck in the flywheel. Turning it counter clockwise released it. Put a fresh battery on it and it works as it should.
I still dont understand why it was cranking, (very slowly) when i turned the key off. And big sparks when i pulled the positive cable. As long as i have been messing with cars i have never had this happen or heard of it happening.
Thank you for your reply.
Steve
Old January 13th, 2019, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Because in order to actuate the starter motor the solenoid pushes the gear drive out. There is a little disc that completes the circuit and as long as the gear drive is out the starter motor is engaged. You might also check your clearance between the starter gear and the flexplate, should be around .018.
Old January 13th, 2019, 08:30 PM

Thanks Eric, I appreciate the reply.

Steve