General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Auto level control system testing?

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2009, 07:01 PM

Auto level control system testing?

The air compressor for the rear suspension on my 84 'Toro isn't functioning, does any one know of a way to test it?
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by poorboy_616
The air compressor for the rear suspension on my 84 'Toro isn't functioning, does any one know of a way to test it?
A lot of times the fuse is blown. Have you checked that?
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:10 PM

for my silhouette van the factory shop book gave several test to do but they were for a 2000. you may want to find a factory book for your car.
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:13 PM

if you have a part number for your compressor let me know. i have 2 old NOS air compressors but dont know what they fit. i do have the part numbers for what i have. if you could use one and will fit your car i would make you a good deal on it.
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

The chassis service manual has a fairly detailed troubleshooting proceedure. It (the procedure) is many pages long and not easily reproduced here. The 1984 CSM and corresponding electrical manual come up on ebay regularly.
Old June 7th, 2009, 07:01 AM

Thanks guys!

I will hunt for the manual on E-bay. The car sits level without it finctioning (meaning the coils haven't sagged, yet) but it would be nice to get it working.

The fuse is still good, but which plug is power? I assuming the big two prong, that way I can verify that it does have power....
Old June 11th, 2009, 09:19 PM

Bump* Bump* I did find out the big plug is power, and it is live. The compressor has two other pluhs, both single wire. One would be for compressor on, the other probably for air dump....

No one has tested these before?
Old June 12th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Bump* Bump* I did find out the big plug is power, and it is live. The compressor has two other pluhs, both single wire. One would be for compressor on, the other probably for air dump....

No one has tested these before?
Unfortunately I only have a 1982 manual, not an 84 manual, and the Toro wiring appears very different from the B-body wiring for this system. There should be dark green and black wires that run the compressor motor and orange and white wires that run the vent solenoid. All are controlled by the sensor head that is at the rear axle. Unlike on the B-body cars, the Toro (well the 1982 Toro anyway) uses FOUR separate fuses to control the ELC system. The GAGES fuse provides the main power to the compressor relay. The CLK-CIG fuse provides power to the vent solenoid. THe DOME fuse provides power to the sensor at the rear axle. The TURN fuse provides an enable signal to the sensor head via the backup light switch. Start by checking all four of these fuses in addition to the ELC relay. Failing that, there are several pages of troubleshooting flow charts in the CSM.
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Banned

buy wagon shocks,and have the guy put the air lines to the side when he puts them on.
problem solved.
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by agtw31
buy wagon shocks,and have the guy put the air lines to the side when he puts them on.
problem solved.
I'm not sure that's really helpful. First, this is a Toro. Not clear "wagon" air shocks even fit (or what that really even means). Second, why spend money until one knows what the real problem is. I'll say it again, anyone who has money to waste, I'll happily provide my mailing address. Everyone else, try a little troubleshooting first.
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Banned

same system in the toro $ riviera is in the wagons.

it is junk,waste of money to fix,because it will break again.

terrible design,terrible product.

2 sensatracs cost $100 installed at sears..

problem solved

Last edited by agtw31; June 12th, 2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old June 18th, 2009, 05:54 PM

The shocks work fine and hold air (I tested them), it's the compressor thats having issues.

I have a few caddies in the boneyard here localy that have air ride, I am wondering if those compressors might work?
Old June 18th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Banned

why do you think those cars are in the junkyard?

if you have the time,go for it,you might find one.
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:58 PM

I know why they are there.....

One has an internal veiwing window in the side if the block (tossed rod), the other looks like someone dropped their ciggarette on the carpet....

I have the time next week, but I may not even repair it at all. It's just a curiousity at the moment as to why it doesn't work.

Is there a way to test the switch on the rear suspension? If the switch is bad, that would cause the compressor not to kick on.....
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

I know why they are there.....

One has an internal veiwing window in the side if the block (tossed rod), the other looks like someone dropped their ciggarette on the carpet....

I have the time next week, but I may not even repair it at all. It's just a curiousity at the moment as to why it doesn't work.

Is there a way to test the switch on the rear suspension? If the switch is bad, that would cause the compressor not to kick on.....
That was my point about doing troubleshooting before throwing parts (and dollars) at the car. Also keep in mind that the system has some electronics that only allow it to work within a few minutes of the initial engine start, just so the compressor isn't running constantly in response to suspension travel from every bump in the road. Again, this is why you need the troubleshooting flowcharts in the CSM.
Old June 19th, 2009, 12:39 PM

Does somebody have a copy of the CSM they could post an excerpt from?

All I need is the flow charts, I think I can figure the rest out.

Better yet, is there a way to "trick" the compressor in to running?

Right now, not having a functional stereo is driving me nuts.....(I have to get one)
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:58 AM

Where is the compressor for the load leveler? I don't think mine works on my 85 Toronado...I never hear anything, well not sure what it's supposed to sound like either though!
Old July 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM

The compressor is on the Driver (Left) front fender. Right on top. It has one large plug and two smaller ones. You should also see the air line leading from it.
Old July 4th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Banned

when it kicks on,youll feel a small vibration,it's only for a second.

to test it,just open your trunk and stand on the back bumper,it should kick on.

if your rear end is low,its broke,if its high,the system is flipping out.
Old July 4th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Cool, thanks! Yeah mine is dead...I tried standing on the rear bumper with the ignition in "run" and nothing happened...does the engine have to be on?