General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Auto Instruments & 68 dash cone needed

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2009, 07:11 AM

Auto Instruments & 68 dash cone needed

Last month, I send in my speedometer to be rebuilt and my gauge dash cones to be re-plastic-chromed to AutoInstruments.com. I recently received all the components back. Everything was packed very well in bubble wrap and plastic. However, upon looking at one of the bezels, I noticed what looked like a cut in the chrome around the face, so it'd be incredibly noticable. At first I thought, "jeez, I didn't do that, did i?" thinking that I cut too deep into the bubble wrap. I was trying to be very careful with it, so I don't think I did. Then I checked all the bags and didn't notice a cut into any of them. This cut was deep enough that a razor blade would have to have cut the bag it was wrapped in as well.

Well, I spoke with Auto Instuments and sent the dash cone back to them. They claim they would have never let it leave the shop like that, and they would see what they could do. Gentry, the owner, just gave me a call, and regardless of who did it, offered to rechrome a new dash bezel for me, free of charge. In a day and age where often the customer is blamed for most things, I found this to be incredibly stand-up and generous, especially as it could have been my fault (although there's no evidence to show who's to blame). So I just wanted to give props to Gentry and Auto Instruments for being a standup business. They'll definitely get my busines again.

This leads me to my second issue. I need a '68 Cutlass/442 dash cone that surrounds the speedometer or gauges. Obviously doesn't need to look great as it's being rechromed and painted. Just can't have any gouges or dents in the face plastic or cracks.

If anyone has one, please let me know asap. I have an extra at home in Phoenix I can send you when I go back there in May. It's just that they're attached to a dash that hasn't been taken apart, and I'm not sure if my parents could deal with removing one.