General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Aurora Northstar V8

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2011, 01:44 PM

Aurora Northstar V8

With all the bitter partisanship over LS motor swaps, How do you guys feel about the Northstar engine series? It actually came available in an Oldsmobile, So is it fair game? Anyone know a guy/is a guy who's running one in on older vehicle?

FLAME ON!
Old November 7th, 2011, 03:17 PM

If I were to use a caddy motor I would use the 472/500.
Old November 7th, 2011, 03:46 PM

Actually, the Aur got the "Shortstar", not the Caddy Northstar... Yes, they fit the same family, tho.

I would love to see someone pull off dropping that into a RWD car. Are you up for the challenge? Take it away!
Old November 7th, 2011, 05:06 PM

Adapters are made for this there is information on the internet
Old November 7th, 2011, 05:08 PM
car guy

Leaking pieces of junk. I would not own one.
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobum
With all the bitter partisanship over LS motor swaps, How do you guys feel about the Northstar engine series?
You should put the best motor in for the money regardless of what anyone ELSE thinks.
IMHO the Northstar isn't worth the headache.

If you want an LS motor, do it. Don't worry about what the other guy across the country thinks.
He's not driving it.

There are alot of Olds owners who have put LS motors in their cars and are beyond ecstatic with them.
They don't mix it up on this forum much tho. There are other forums you can explore if that
is your primary interest. Just ask and I'll point you in the right direction.

Last edited by Aceshigh; November 7th, 2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old November 8th, 2011, 04:31 AM

Why is telling someone to not put a Northstar in any different than someone saying dont put an LS in?

In both cases isnt it their car to do as they please?
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:46 AM

If I was going through the trouble, a Northstar wouldn't be one of my choices. The smaller 4.0(244 cu in) Aurora version didn't have much low end torque, and you'd be disappointed. Think I’d just stay with standard Olds or Chevy engines. Chevy SB’s were factory in some late 70’s Delta 88’s. There’s a good reason many are going LS, as are great engines. I have a late model LS7 Vette, and not much touching this. LS3’s are right up there, with cheaper iron block truck motors good too. Josh at Custom Image(507-581-3076) can supply you with everything needed, but wont be cheap. Last years Holley LS fest had a crew swapping an LS into a 71’ Cutlass, that did it in 40 min. Had to drive the finished car around for two hours, and got to keep the engine/computers.
Old November 8th, 2011, 07:05 AM

Forget all these engine swaps!

We need an actual Oldsmobile ROCKET.

Burn baby Burn!

(i have made an accurate scale representation of what it should look like, also, note the stiffer rear springs)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Oldsmobile ROCKET.JPG (57.8 KB, 108 views)
Old November 8th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Administrator

LOL, Tony, that is just too funny!!!! I like it though! The Aurora motor was a good engine for the application that it was in, however, there are better alternatives in my opinion that would provide more enjoyment!! With that said, if that is the direction your leaning towards, I say go for it! I for one will never tell anyone what to, or not to put in thier ride!

Good Luck with your endeaver and keep us posted!
Old November 8th, 2011, 07:31 AM
car guy

Before you even think about it do a little research on "Northstar Oil Leak"

We got burned one too many times at the last dealership I was at and petty much if one was out of factory warranty it went straight to the wholesale line regardless of how clean it was.

They have a block design the is a upper and lower case. When they leak between the two pieces the motor has to come 100% apart to fix.
Old November 8th, 2011, 07:37 AM

Delta, i believe your post was in response to me.

I completely understand the differences between the two motors.

I dont know what Oldsmobum's goal is. It's presumptive to think he wants the best motor for the money. How do you define best? Most HP? Most torque? Most expensive? Most unique? Most winning? Most historical?

I am just asking why there appears to be an inconsistency when it comes to telling guys what to now put in their own cars.

Doesnt each car owner establish their own personal goal ?

If the goal is reliability or most HP/TQ for the $ go LS for sure.

If the goal is unique, historical (1997 Indy) different and non conformist I wouldnt want to be told go LS.

Goes back to the goal. It's common to think our goal is the same as someone elses goal.

I am asked my question because here appears to be an inconsistency when it comes to telling guys what to put in their own cars.

I think everyone should do as they like to their own car. If a car isnt done like the way you would do it , that doesnt make it wrong.

If someone wants an LS in their Olds there is nothing wrong with that.

If someone wants an Aurora in their Olds there is nothing wrong with that.

If the definition of best is expensive, historical significance (imagine using a Foyt Aurora), unique, non-conformist or controversal than it is my opinion Aurora is the best.
Old November 8th, 2011, 09:57 AM

I have no intention of putting one in my car, I really like my 324. I couldn't help but notice how heated the LS discussion gets, and the Northstar seemed like a good compromise for someone who might think a non-olds LS motor would "ruin" the car. I have no issues myself with what someone else does to their car; in fact I think custom stuff is bitchen. These Northstar engines are popular in sand rails and some times hot rods, so there is aftermarket and high performance support, but there is never any mention of them here. I was kinda hoping someone would come out of the wood works with pictures of their northstar build. Well when my money tree finally takes root maybe I'll take the initiative... However I'm starting to think I wasted $100.
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
They have a block design the is a upper and lower case. When they leak between the two pieces the motor has to come 100% apart to fix.
Guess I have been lucky - no drips under mine!
Old November 8th, 2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Forget all these engine swaps!

We need an actual Oldsmobile ROCKET.

Burn baby Burn!

(i have made an accurate scale representation of what it should look like, also, note the stiffer rear springs)

I gotta say that would be a nice picture with out the clip art Looks bad *** with the flat center caps and both tire's lined up as far as the white lettering goes
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:05 AM

Agreed! I wish that were my car but sadly i stole the picture and jet engine off google images lol

Who needs photoshop when you have microsoft paint. Heh

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
I gotta say that would be a nice picture with out the clip art Looks bad *** with the flat center caps and both tire's lined up as far as the white lettering goes