General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Assembly plant differences?

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Chris

Assembly plant differences?

Hi everyone. As I have been putting my 72 supreme back together using the assembly manual, I have noticed that there seems to be differences in specs in both hardware, torque values, and some part numbers that are listed as "Lansing plant only" or something to that affect. Why were there different specs and parts for this particular plant? Were cars built from this plant "better" or more desirable? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Chris
Old February 26th, 2016, 03:08 AM
Lansing built

In Lansing only Oldsmobiles were built nothing else, until 1985 then the main plant and GM went to B.O.C. group actually Buick, Olds, and Pontiac being built.

Lansing being the headquarters for Oldsmobile, standards were followed closely! And few people mentioned that back in the day some dealers requested Lansing cars.

My preference is Lansing built cars. Both of mine came from Lansing

Pat
Old February 26th, 2016, 05:24 AM
Chris

Thanks pat! Is there a code in the VIN that tells the plant where the car was built?
Thanks!
Chris
Old February 26th, 2016, 06:26 AM
Randy C.

There is a code, both in the VIN and on the trim tag. An L indicates Lansing, G is Framingham MA, R is Arlington TX, and Z is Fremont CA>

I talked with the owner of the former Olds dealership where my car came from. When he figured out who I was and actually remembered my car (it was a demo his wife used for nearly 7 months), the first question he asked me was if I had a Lansing car or if it was a Fremont car. His dealership got cars from both assembly plants and he had a fairly low regard for the Fremont plant. His impression of the Lansing plant, however, was quite the opposite. He said the quality control at Lansing was the absolute best and that you could "eat off of the floor" in the Lansing plant. This time frame was in the late 50s, all of the 60s and early 70s. He had the Olds dealership in my home town from 1953 through 1972.

I have a '68 4-4-2 from Lansing and a '69 4-4-2 from Fremont. I also had a '70 GTO from the Fremont plant. I did notice a slight difference in quality control during their restorations (GTO marked as a 455 ci engine but it had its original 400, for example).

Randy C.

Randy C.
Old February 26th, 2016, 06:39 AM
Lansing built

The VIN will show "M" for Lansing. This should be true up to 1984.

For later ones you will have a decal on the drivers door showing city of final assembly or the window sticker.

Pat
Old February 26th, 2016, 08:14 AM

Not only did the plants have differences, but each plant also had running differences as well.

When I worked on the line at the Framingham BOP plant in 1972, they used a TMD (Temporary Manufacturing Deviation) all the time. This was used to substitute parts, change procedures, or make improvements to keep the line moving.

Different vendors would be used if the main vendor could not supply parts.

So a car built on Monday could have differences from a car built later in the week.

And, the paint finishes on brackets and small parts varied due to the paint and dipping operator. No robots back then.
Old February 26th, 2016, 09:11 AM

I have found a couple of differences between my 71 442 built in Lansing and my 71 SX built in Arlington, relating to paint finishes. The firewall paint on the 442 is a very low- gloss black, while the SX has a semi gloss charcoal color. The paint colours are very different for the underside floor and trunk pans. The SX is factory painted in a semi-gloss red oxide color, whereas the 442 is done in black.
As far as quality control, the Arlington plant used the wrong dimples when drilling for mounting the voltage regulator, resulting in a crooked installation.
Old February 26th, 2016, 09:29 AM

This kind of detail fascinates me! And I'm sure could come in handy in certain instances, such as the restoration project that started the thread.
Old February 26th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Chris

Wow! I had no idea I'd have such an amazing amount of detail in the responses! I have learned so much and to hear from some of you who were actually working on the line, I think that's just incredible. I feel like a teenager again learning about all this! Thanks!
Chris
Old February 26th, 2016, 05:55 PM
Randy C.

M is for Lansing! Where the heck did I pull L out of?! That was a stupid mistake on my part!

Randy C.
Old February 27th, 2016, 03:23 AM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
M is for Lansing! Where the heck did I pull L out of?! That was a stupid mistake on my part!

Randy C.
L is next to the M on the key board

I think you probably had the fisher tag "LAN" on the brain?

And to add to Randy list of plants "E" for Linden, NJ

Pat
Old February 27th, 2016, 07:14 AM
Chris

Well I looked at my VIN and it
Was a "G" code for the Framingham, mass plant. I was hoping for the Lansing plant. My wife Said "I'm going to bed now. You're going out to check your car to see what plant it was built in? Are you going to scream and wake me up if it was the Lansing plant?" That gave me a god laugh. When I came upstairs without screaming she said "so I guess it wasn't the Lansing plant?" Lol. My wife is such a supportive woman throughout the restoration of this car, which j think is rare? At one point I was contemplating selling it when money was really tight. She was the one who convinced me to keep it since I had had it since I was 16 (I'm 40 next month) and we used it as our wedding vehicle instead of a limo. Our family decorated it all up with cans streaming out from the back and "just married" painted in soap on the back window.
Old February 27th, 2016, 07:17 AM
Chris

My442 you said you worked in the Framingham mass plant in 1972. Were you there in June? That's the date code on my door. I wonder if you had worked on my car???? Wow that would be neat if we could figure that out for certain!