General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Assembly manual

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2010, 05:38 AM

Assembly manual

I have one of those awful reprinted assembly manuals that I bought over evilbay from a supposed reputable company. Is it normal that I can’t read half of the bloody stuff due to bad printing? Company said this is normal for the assembly manuals as they are printed from used workshop stock that was already faded. Can you buy original assembly manuals? (69, 442)
Old July 10th, 2010, 05:45 AM

can you please tell who you got it from? I am in the market for one too and dont want to make the same mistake. I would think that you can get one from fusick or opgi but mabe
im wrong .
Old July 10th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Lance

FWIW, I bought one of these GM Assembly Manuals from Year One about 10 years ago for my '70 and the printing is clear as a bell.
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:06 AM

I got the one for my '72 off Evilbay from assemblymanuals1. It's a reprint just as stated, but it looks good. Everything is legible. Good quality and the best price I could find.
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:09 AM

Millenium industries. I seriously cant read allot of the pages. They sell over evilbay.
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by ROCKET VAPOR
FWIW, I bought one of these GM Assembly Manuals from Year One about 10 years ago for my '70 and the printing is clear as a bell.
I got mine from one of the Olds parts suppliers (forgot which one), but it is pretty clear, too! I think there was only a couple things that were faded enough to make it hard to read, and I have read almost every page!
It is a reprint.

If your copy is dark and smudgy, then it is probably a copy that someone got and ran it through the copy machine at kinkos, not even bothering to set it right.
Sounds as if you got a bad copy in my opinion...
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:14 AM

I have just sent an email to assemblymanuals1 to see if they will send to Australia.
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:17 AM

Its not that its smudged. On allot of the pages the print is that faint that it is almost not there and not readable even with my glasses.
Old July 10th, 2010, 07:09 AM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

Originally Posted by ralsy
Millenium industries. I seriously cant read allot of the pages. They sell over evilbay.

I got thier '68 manual about 7 years ago. 1 out 3 pages can be read. They offered my purchse price back if the manual was in resellable condition.
That meant the shrink/plastic warp intact and unopened. I responded with "how could I tell the pages are so faded if didn't open it."
I got no response. Looks nice on the shelf, not very useful.

Adam

I am really glad this manual is such good quality. Now I know exactly how all the generator brackets go on the 400.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mi man.jpg (93.0 KB, 80 views)
Old July 10th, 2010, 08:14 AM

I originally bought one of those same 1 in 3 readable page manuals too, not too happy with it so I bought an original chassis and body manual combo off e-bay for my '68. It cost more than a re-print but it's in great shape and I can read every page.
Old July 10th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Randy C.

Here's what I learned from one of the most reliable people on this site.

First, my 1968 PIM (aka "assembly manual") for my '68 4-4-2 is lousy. It's produced by Millenium Industries. I've had it for years and I've been able to "fill in" some of the things that were previously illegible, but there are still a lot of holes. My '69 PIM for my '69 4-4-2, from the same company, is perfect. The '70 PIM I have for my '70 GTO is great, as is the '71 PIM for my '71 Corvette.

Second, and most important, you can access top quality PIMs on the internet. Go to http://wildaboutcars.com/ and register to join (it's free). Once you register, go to the "vault". In there, you will find "Download Factory And Non-Factory Technical Journals". In there, you should find top quality assembly manuals.

Hope this helps. It sure did help me. A special thanks to Kurt!

Randy C.
Old July 10th, 2010, 09:30 AM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Go to http://wildaboutcars.com/ and register to join (it's free). Once you register, go to the "vault". In there, you will find "Download Factory And Non-Factory Technical Journals". In there, you should find top quality assembly manuals.
Holy Sugar Honey Iced Tea! (any one with a young one who likes Madagascar might recognize that line.)
I took the two minutes to sign up with the WAC site. Here is the same page I posted from my purchased "top quality reproduction."
I think the on-line is just a bit better.

Adam

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WAC man.jpg (67.0 KB, 71 views)
Old July 10th, 2010, 09:45 AM

do they have it in brail for us hads on guy's ? im going to sing up Thanks for the tip .
Old July 10th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Registered

I have a Millenium assembly manual and every page is legible with black printing. I think they just get bad printing runs/employees. My Fisher manual reprint is missing pages and a bunch are out of sequence.
I've found that the assembly manual line drawings are great to copy and use for coloring.
I got the big box of Crayolas with the sharpener on the side like the rich kids had in grade school.
Old July 10th, 2010, 03:28 PM

You bloody bonza, i've hit the jack pot. I have registered with Wildaboutcars and have down loaded an excellent readable copy of the assembly manual. THANKYOU very much rcorrigan5