General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Arm Rest Base to Door Screws

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2019, 07:27 AM

Arm Rest Base to Door Screws

Hi all - I wanted to know if someone knew the size of the arm rest base to door screws for 72 Cultass vert. There are 3 screws that attach the base to the door. I know companies sell them, but it's unreasonable to purchase 6 screws for $10 when I can go to the local hardware store to grab them for $2.
Old January 21st, 2019, 07:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rosco920
Hi all - I wanted to know if someone knew the size of the arm rest base to door screws for 72 Cultass vert. There are 3 screws that attach the base to the door. I know companies sell them, but it's unreasonable to purchase 6 screws for $10 when I can go to the local hardware store to grab them for $2.
Those are pretty specialized screws. I'd be surprised if you can find them at a hardware store, which is why the repro houses charge so much. Of course, I'm sure someone here has a bunch in a coffee can somewhere.
Old January 21st, 2019, 08:54 AM

Ok. I'll be interested to see what comes up from others. You may be correct, even though these screws appear very normal.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 06:37 AM

Yeah they are special. Many times they're lost and someone tries to use big wood screws or whatever and then they pull out and screw up the sheet metal. I did have a bunch of them in a coffee can as Joe said but when I moved all that stuff went to scrap yard. Maybe someone else will have some. or you could go to a salvage yard and get some out of any 70's GM. Probably easiest to just buy them on line, especially if you need other things you can bundle with them to save on shipping...
Old January 22nd, 2019, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Looking at the OPGI ad, they are just phillips head sheet metal screws that can be had at any bolt and fastener store. The screws are available in up to 3 and 4" lengths.
https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/PP0225/
Old January 23rd, 2019, 05:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Looking at the OPGI ad, they are just phillips head sheet metal screws that can be had at any bolt and fastener store. The screws are available in up to 3 and 4" lengths.
https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/PP0225/
I don't care what some aftermarket company sells. The OEM screws that I've pulled from many cars do not look like any screws I've ever seen in a hardware store. It wouldn't surprise me if the ones sold by OPGI are not correct. The thread pitch and pitch diameter are different from generic sheet metal screws.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 10:34 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

https://www.fusickautomotiveproducts...s.asp?dept=768

$20 for the interior kit is cheap IMO. You know you will find other missing/incorrect fasteners.

Herbs has helped me out for singular items several times. They can sometimes go by application but they prefer to have the SAE size.

https://hardwareandfasteningsolutions.com/