General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Anyone in Seattle???

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Matthew Reader

Anyone in Seattle???

UPDATE:Thanks, I think I am just going to forget it. It's a really great car, and the guy was such an ******* on the phone, I think it's a bad sign...I'm going to let it go. There'll be another car. I just can't believe that someone would advertise on the internet, and not be willing to talk about it over the phone...he's telling me to come and see it in person on Sunday ( The car is in Seattle, and I am in Southerm California). He says "I'll only deal face to face." and then he hung up on me. Bad Karma. (or Car-ma!) ha ha.

Looking for someone to look at an Oldsmobile for me. I found a great car on the internet, but when I called, he wouldn't even talk to me when he found out that I wasn't local.

Would someone be willing to go have the once-over on this car and act as my agent to buy this?

Let me know if you can help...

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by PalmSpringsOlds; August 13th, 2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old August 13th, 2010, 09:16 PM

im south of seattle about 1.5 hours...what exactly is the location?
Old August 13th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Matthew Reader

Thanks, I think I am just going to forget it. It's a really great car, and the guy was such an ******* on the phone, I think it's a bad sign...I'm going to let it go. There'll be another car.
Old August 14th, 2010, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by PalmSpringsOlds
Thanks, I think I am just going to forget it. It's a really great car, and the guy was such an ******* on the phone, I think it's a bad sign...I'm going to let it go. There'll be another car.

yep I agree --bad karma
Old August 14th, 2010, 04:42 AM

Bad seller attitude - best to move on.
I had similar experience hoping to look at two nice looking wagons LOCALLY last year, but sellers were not wanting me to see the cars first. I gave up for my own good.

I dealt with a guy 1600 miles away when i was getting Lady and he was so helpful and sent so many good pictures. A great guy...
These old cars are hard to find so dealing with someone who is not local is almost the norm...
Old August 14th, 2010, 08:10 AM

i may know the guy...was it in craigslist?
Old August 14th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Matthew Reader

Yeah, it was on craigslist...and the posting has been deleted. Was an 89 Custom Cruiser. Bummer. It was in my favorite color combination and a one-owner car. He said he was selling it as a favor to his wife's grandmother, but didn't sound like he was interested in doing too much of a favor.
Old August 14th, 2010, 12:41 PM

Yeah, it was on craigslist...and the posting has been deleted. Was an 89 Custom Cruiser. Bummer. It was in my favorite color combination and a one-owner car. He said he was selling it as a favor to his wife's grandmother, but didn't sound like he was interested in doing too much of a favor.
Everyone is telling you to forget this car. I'm going to offer a contrary opinion here. The way you're talking, you're trying to convince YOURSELF that you don't want the car. But your heart says you still can't let go of it.

If the car really is possibly what you want, hop on a plane and go look at it. Don't let a jerk for an owner sour you on the car. You're buying the car, not the owner.

You've stated that you want the Custom Cruiser you buy to be a good daily driver right out the door. I think that means that you have to be willing to go anywhere in the country to get it. Frankly, Seattle ain't that far away from you, relatively speaking.

When I bought my '75 Delta 88 convertible back in 1994, I was in Ohio and the seller was in Florida. On the basis of one letter and a few photos, I flew down there with a return plane ticket that I might or might not have used. I ended up buying the car and driving it home. You'll never know if you don't go take a look.
Old August 14th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Matthew Reader

If I had the time to jump on a plane, I would, but the timing just isn't right. I leave Sunday for Ohio; I have a funeral to attend. I had hoped to buy the car over the phone, and simply have it shipped here to Palm Springs, but the guy with the ad simply wasn't having it. This is how I've purchased at least three cars, and have sold several others over the phone. In the last few weeks there have been six Custom Cruisers. There will undoubtedly be more as the economy worsens, and I will find exactly what I am looking for. This car simply isn't the one for me, and for all I know, it's already been sold. I just can't get over people who put a car on the internet and then won't talk about the car for a few minutes.
Old August 14th, 2010, 02:20 PM

I had hoped to buy the car over the phone, and simply have it shipped here to Palm Springs, but the guy with the ad simply wasn't having it.
He wouldn't take cash on the barrelhead, huh? Why would he possibly care? What an idiot.
Old August 14th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Matthew Reader

First, I offered paypal. He said no. Then, I said I could Fedex a cashier's check. He said no. He said it had to be face-to-face in cash. I said I could send someone with cash, and he still wasn't hearing it. Who knows, maybe he didn't even own the car or want to sell it.

As it turns out, this morning another Custom Cruiser with less miles on it turned up for half of what the Seattle idiot wanted, and it's only 30 minutes from my house. I am going to go have a look at it tomorrow.
Old August 14th, 2010, 07:39 PM
NôôB

good luck on the new car and you know what they say... patience is a virtue
Old August 15th, 2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by sicky olds
you know what they say... patience is a virtue
They also say "he who hesitates is lost."
Old August 15th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Matthew Reader

It's all settled now. I bought an 86 Custom Cruiser with 70K miles on it! Less than half of what the guy in Seattle was asking, and it's only 30 minutes from my house! Needs a paint job badly, but spotless interior and some cool optional equipment! Will get it home back next week when I am back from Ohio...
Old August 15th, 2010, 01:26 PM

Excellent. Post some photos when you get it home.