General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Anyone buy anything from DVAP?

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2016, 06:42 PM

Anyone buy anything from DVAP?

Has anyone ever bought anything from Desert Valley Auto Parts? They have tons of Olds parts, prices seem a little high but might be worth it if they are easy to deal with.
Old December 18th, 2016, 06:52 PM

danger danger

Originally Posted by jetstar88convertwi
Has anyone ever bought anything from Desert Valley Auto Parts? They have tons of Olds parts, prices seem a little high but might be worth it if they are easy to deal with.
Stay away....they are ANYTHING but easy to deal with
Old December 18th, 2016, 08:13 PM

I couldn't get them to return my calls. I had the need and money they had the parts and we could not get it together to make a deal. Strange way to run a business. This was about the time they were doing their TV show and I don't they has the time to mess with real customers.... Tedd
Old December 18th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I thought the old man (about my age or younger) always seemed like a jack ***. It makes you wonder how they ever got to where they are.
Old December 19th, 2016, 02:56 AM

I visited their yard several years ago. They didn't seem interested in selling anything (at a reasonable price).
Old December 19th, 2016, 05:43 AM

I'm curious if they even have much of anything interesting left. From the ads I was following on a Craigslist it seemed they might of had a few four doors that they were flogging as potential but expensive project cars.
Old December 19th, 2016, 05:52 AM

I bought a passenger side door from them for my 68 442 back around 1994 for about $300.00. It was described as solid and straight. What I got was rust free but very wavy. Inspecting from the inside showed major collision damage. A few minutes with a grinder reveled a least an inch of poorly applied bondo over a poorly prepped crushed door. Basically unsalvageable.
After several calls with no assistance I finally got who I believe was the little twerp son from the tv show. He acted like a dick and refused to do anything about it. I told him I was calleing my credit card company to reverse the charge and he can either send a truck to get it or it was going to scrap metal.
They ended up crediting me and picking it up.
I found a mint door a month later at local pick a part for weekend special of $20.00.

20 some years ago but I doubt they have got any better to deal with.
Old December 19th, 2016, 08:05 AM

Got a front bumper for my 66 Cutlass from them several years ago. Was described as perfect, it was anything but. Although the chrome was nice and everything looked decent on the surface once installed the bumper was found to be pushed up in the center and tweaked on the ends. They are just shysters. Stay away.
Old December 19th, 2016, 10:26 AM
Rog

Dvap

I worked with last summer had to chase them for the parts what I got was not as good as they said and didnt ship all the parts then but said they did never got the parts small money I just gave up!
Old December 19th, 2016, 11:25 AM

Make no mistake...DVAP has a large supply of parts cars. In addition, they also have dozens of solid projects for sale; albeit way over-priced IMO. I run over there every January when I'm down visiting family for a week just to satisfy my curiosity...and, from what I see, they don't seem to have a problem obtaining fresh inventory in both categories. In person, I find the desk guys cordial and easy to deal with...as long as you're willing to pay their usually ridiculous prices. And, they don't dicker. Take it or leave it. It's hit or miss on prices quoted to me when I'm there...but, at least I can see what I'd be getting before making the decision to buy. Occasionally, I'll be quoted what I know to be a reasonable price...but, most times, it's at the high end of the retail spectrum. If you're looking for a bargain, it's probably not going to happen here. They know what they have and aren't afraid to take advantage of demand. They especially love the droves of out-of-towners that show up flush with cash (many are from overseas) during Barrett-Jackson week. Easy pickins'... LOL!

As mentioned, the advantage of being there in person is that you can wander around the yard and find the exact part you're interested in and they'll pull that one for you. When dealing over the phone or by e-mail, they'll confirm they have a vehicle with the part you're requesting (there's usually more than one likely donor)...but, they stop short of singling out the exact part and sending you a pic. I've been told by other yard owners that it just isn't cost effective from a manpower standpoint to do this due to sheer number of inquiries. But, this is where things often break down between Buyer and DVAP (or, other yards for that matter). Perceived condition of parts is subjective and, without a visual inspection of the part by the Buyer beforehand, is often met with disappointment; especially, when a Buyer thinks he's paying a premium and is expecting the best. I do believe their attitude is that whatever they have is better than what you're going to find elsewhere...so, be happy with what you get.
Old December 19th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Its a junk yard, just like any other junk yard but with an attitude because of their perceived newly found notoriety. Its always buyer beware for unseen parts. I watched their show and was not impressed other than they found an unusual way to market themselves.
Old December 20th, 2016, 04:14 AM

I've been there several times. It's a pretty cool place to walk around in but it is very expensive. I stopped watching the show after the old man couldn't stop calling his car a four forty two
Old December 20th, 2016, 06:03 AM
delete

Originally Posted by rand5204
I stopped watching the show after the old man couldn't stop calling his car a four forty two
I liked when they ran their Charger build down the 1/2 mile and the dip shyt son said anything under an 18 was pretty good.
or when they had their GTO on the lift after it was painted and said Ohh the frame is bent
Old January 9th, 2017, 09:25 AM

I bought a deck lid for my 76 442 from them several years ago.

I called and verified they had a deck lid, they had several. My Dad who had been wintering there, swung out. They took him out on a golf cart and he could choose the best one they had with the yard hand.

If you are trying to get anything more than confirmation of a specific car and part over phone or email, you will be disapointed. It isn't time practical to send out a hand for every email/phone inquirey to take a pic of the possible options.

Website was helpful, could be more in depth, but then you start talking more $ to keep it upated. It is a junk yard.