General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Anybody had this problem with Tic Toc Tach from Parts Place

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2014, 07:50 AM

Anybody had this problem with Tic Toc Tach from Parts Place

Went to go adjust the Clock the other Day for the second time since my car was finished and the whole clock adjustment rod just pulled outNeedless to say,i can't adjust the clock now and when you try to insert back in and turn it doesnt seem to catch on anything to turn hands.It's just a straight shaft without any type of knurl or step on the end that would push into something It's out of warranty and i did have it apart to paint the
insides as Rob had did, so i guess my question is has anybody else had this problem and what did they do to fix it.I know i will have to pull it out of the dashagain,but not sure what i am getting into Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Jason
Old October 21st, 2014, 08:51 AM

Considering the cost of the tach from the Parts Place....... Did you call them and ask if they can repair/or replace it? Seems like the least they can do if they stand by their products.

Trust me- for the price of those, its the least they can do.

Let us know what the Parts Place said?

Last edited by Bens71442; October 21st, 2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old October 21st, 2014, 09:05 AM

I do have one of tithes etches but have not had your issue. Thanks for the heads up as. I will be more gentle when I adjust the clock. I wonder if you could put a drop of superglue on the stem and insert it back in the hole?
Old October 21st, 2014, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by JJSCUTLASS
Went to go adjust the Clock the other Day for the second time since my car was finished and the whole clock adjustment rod just pulled outNeedless to say,i can't adjust the clock now and when you try to insert back in and turn it doesnt seem to catch on anything to turn hands.It's just a straight shaft without any type of knurl or step on the end that would push into something It's out of warranty and i did have it apart to paint the
insides as Rob had did, so i guess my question is has anybody else had this problem and what did they do to fix it.I know i will have to pull it out of the dashagain,but not sure what i am getting into Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Jason
I don't know if this will help you, but I may know what happened. You do have to pull the clock from the dash. IF, your clock works are similar to a 66, the adjustment shaft has a small gear pressed on to the end. There is also a spring between the gear and the case that pulls the shaft back in to the neutral position after you adjust the clock. I had to change that spring on mine and learned about this thru trial & error. I had to gently pry the small gear off, replace the spring, and knock the gear back on the shaft. It is a snug fit, but can be done. I used a jewelers hammer to gently pound the small gear to it's fully seated position on the shaft. The lens can be scratched easily so go slow and carefull. Good luck!
Old October 21st, 2014, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sampson
I do have one of tithes etches but have not had your issue. Thanks for the heads up as. I will be more gentle when I adjust the clock. I wonder if you could put a drop of superglue on the stem and insert it back in the hole?

Samson if you have this tach do you push in to adjust or pull out??
Old October 22nd, 2014, 08:41 AM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Bens71442
Considering the cost of the tach from the Parts Place....... Did you call them and ask if they can repair/or replace it? Seems like the least they can do if they stand by their products.

Trust me- for the price of those, its the least they can do.

Let us know what the Parts Place said?

Called them and the Guy I spoke to was really nice for a change!
He spoke with his manager and said I could send it back to get it fixed
for maybe $150 to $200. Or I could by a New one! It is out of warranty,
but are you kiddin me!! It cost $229.00 when I got it LOL!!
Old October 22nd, 2014, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by JJSCUTLASS
Called them and the Guy I spoke to was really nice for a change!
He spoke with his manager and said I could send it back to get it fixed
for maybe $150 to $200. Or I could by a New one! It is out of warranty,
but are you kiddin me!! It cost $229.00 when I got it LOL!!
"How absolutely Typical." There is no such thing any more as customer service....just "buy my tach" - " I'll warranty it for 24 hours." - "After that, yer Fk'd"

Kinda like the head lamp aluminum doors that have improperly punched holes in them, and they will not work on any of my 1970 cars I've owned.....however 1971 Headlamp doors worked just fine. This is why NOS 1970 Headlamp doors are still worth giant sums of money- (if they can be found).

I think some of the above posts that people commented on, that you can fix (your tack clock adjusting ****) on your own... I really think the car hobby these days is getting worse......not better. And that's pretty sad.
Old October 25th, 2014, 08:35 AM

Yeah i've had some problems with some products from the parts place and other places and when you call and tell them what's going on with something you bought, they act like it's your fault,then u have to pay to ship it back >Many arguments with them on the phone!!

I bought a sending unit from them for my gas tank awhile ago and of course it's out of warranty. Unit is not calibrated correctly so my gas tank reads about 3/8 lower than what's actually in there Well now i have to drop the tank and replace with original, which i should of just used from the get go!! We should be able to bill these places for our time fixing everything or modifying everything these places sell.

I going to yank Clock out soon and see what has to be done if anything!Hopefully it has pulled out of some small gear?? Trying to push it back in now while it's in the car, it is not going into anything that catches to turn clock.Just hope when i pull it apart, i will be able to see what's going on and i have a feeling glue will be involved. Sorta why i posted this to see if anybody else on here had this happen to them