General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Any gourmets out there.

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2014, 03:49 PM
72Cutlass S

Any gourmets out there.

Any of you like to cook? What's the speciality of the house at your home?
Mine is steak aux pouve topped with gorgonzola cheese with sautéed mushrooms, twice baked potatoes and steamed vegetables. I have recently discovered I can make really good shrimp scampi.

Last edited by gs72; November 2nd, 2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 04:46 PM
morgan

I know my way around a kitchen very well i have a commercial food truck so thay helps i have incorporated garage tools into cooking also. Back when restuarant depot used to sell whole short loins for those that dont know its the rear upper part of the beef that includes the spine so i use to use my sawzall and custom cut my own porterhouse, dry age them in the fridee a week or so then sear them directly on the coals...cook to 120 degrees then let them rest a baked potatoe fresh chive etc but my favorite is curing my own meats (including dry curing salami) you havent had bacon pastrami corned beef whole ham or even hot dogs untill you have made your own, i had also built my own smoker for cold smoking and hot smoking that wou theld even make a texan cry...now im hungryi
Old November 2nd, 2014, 05:10 PM
72Cutlass S

The thought of taking a sawzall to raw meat makes me want throw my head back pound my chest and grunt like an ape!!!
Old November 2nd, 2014, 05:17 PM
morgan

Originally Posted by gs72
The thought of taking a sawzall to raw meat makes me want throw my head back pound my chest and grunt like an ape!!!

Well i never went that far but i did take off my tshirt before i started cutting
Old November 2nd, 2014, 05:26 PM
72Cutlass S

Lol
Old November 3rd, 2014, 12:04 PM

I've always been into cook and being a senior in college Ive managed to actually keep the gourmet meals in my life pretty much everyday of the week. I cook for both of my roommates everynight and they seem pretty content with it. I would say the best thing I make is either my rack of lamb or a pan fried sirloin. The Sirloin in kept at room temp for about 20-35 mins then salt, olive oil and then into a hot pan. When cooking in a pan as opposed to on a grille I flip it multiple times. Then in goes a big tab of butter, fresh shopped garlic and thyme. Spoon the butter, oil, thyme, and garlic onto the steak and keep flipping it. Then I usually have a side of baked asparagus(salt, pepper, rolled in olive oil, 400 degrees) and homemade mashed potatoes. Now Im hungry.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 02:42 PM

Old November 3rd, 2014, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by pogo69
...i had also built my own smoker for cold smoking and hot smoking that wou theld even make a texan cry...now im hungryi
Ok, let's see it! Btw your methods would have made a great tool time episode, "Tim".
Old November 3rd, 2014, 04:16 PM

I'm Cajun so I cook crawfish etouffee and shrimp and sausage jambalaya quite often.

I used to make shrimp alfredo (Italian style) but then I modified it to Southwestern style and it's now sauteed shrimp with Jalapeno cream sauce.
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:09 AM
morgan

[QUOTE=oldcutlass;760242]Ok, let's see it! Btw your methods would have made a great tool time episode, "Tim".[/QUOT

this smoker is actually a bread proofing cabinet it has commercial size sliding trays in it for grisket and i made a hook rack that hangs from the top for bacon and cuts of pork butt and hanging ham and sausage. the heat source is a propane burner and a cast iron pan to hold the chips i cut a hole for the chimney and there is a removable disc on the back to attach my flex pipe to cold smoke, i dont have the cold smoke box attached in this pic... i have used cold smoke on fish,almonds,jalapeno peppers and some pastrami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0870.jpg (58.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0873.jpg (22.8 KB, 9 views)
Old November 4th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Very nice, it's quite different than what we use here in Texas. We use hardwoods, no propane.

Old November 4th, 2014, 07:28 AM
morgan

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Very nice, it's quite different than what we use here in Texas. We use hardwoods, no propane.

Thats a large smoker for sure...i like it, i have seen a few of those that are trailer mounted...since they are horizontal the amount of smoke/heat can be tricky i use propane as a heat and use oak for wood the nice thing about a burner is you can maintain a constant temperature. But the pic of yours ...thats a big smoke box...i guess u got out smoked