General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Another Dragstrip Closing Bandimere Speedway

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2023, 09:07 PM
Banned

Another Dragstrip Closing Bandimere Speedway

Wow terrible news. Home of the Mile High Nationals is the latest dragstrip to go down. So sad. I grew up there. Running around the pits. Watching my oldest brother wax everyone consistently on his 1000 cc Kawasaki. So many of my brother's and myself have raced up there. Sad sad day.

Hat's off to the Bandimere family for everything they have done for this community. Since 1958.

https://kdvr.com/news/local/bandimer...racing-season/

https://bangshift.com/general-news/l...mere-speedway/

Last edited by no1oldsfan; April 22nd, 2023 at 09:39 AM.
Old April 21st, 2023, 09:56 PM
Banned

John Bandimere, Sr. built his first race car in 1937, a Ford Flathead V-8, which he raced in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb to a ninth place finish. Always known as an innovator, Bandimere actually built a snowmobile in 1936. He became a nationally known expert on supercharging engines and in 1957 became the first to enter a fuel injected car in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. In 1958, John Bandimere, Sr. purchased a parcel of land on the west side of Denver, nestled up against the hogback leading up to the Rocky Mountains. He and his family began the process of constructing a small, but efficient drag strip that was to be used to augment their auto parts business. It also was the fulfillment of a dream of John Sr.’s to provide a safe environment for young people to learn about cars and race them off the streets. Now, more than 50 years later, the only thing at Bandimere Speedway that has not changed is the facility’s location. Nearly every original building has been replaced including the original spark plug-replica timing tower and the event schedule has grown nearly 10 times its original size to host a variety of specialty events, including the NHRA Mopar Mile High Nationals. John Bandimere, Sr. passed away in 1986.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...-chevysleeper/

Last edited by no1oldsfan; April 22nd, 2023 at 09:46 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2023, 05:19 AM
Gary

That is a surprise, it's been a fixture from when I was first aware of the NHRA racing series in the late 50s.

I never had the enjoyment of being there, but whenever I read about the results at the Bandimere Mile High Nationals, it would be time to head to Brainerd for our yearly days of camping and NHRA racing.
Old April 22nd, 2023, 05:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Given the development I've seen on that side of Denver, it was only a matter of time.
Old April 22nd, 2023, 09:31 AM
Banned

Yeah it is sad what Denver is becoming. Build build build. The cost of living out here is becoming just ridiculous. Median home price is 600+ grand. You literally cannot buy a one bedroom home for under 500k. It's ridiculous. I saw a 500 square foot studio apartment sell for 425k. Amazing how little you get here for a million. Locals are leaving in droves.

So back to Bandimere. Super cool drag strip nestled up to the side of the mountain. The echos are epic. Very unique. Such history there. So sad to see it go. You know it's mad money when such a thriving class act speedway like Bandimere goes down. They are supposedly looking for a new spot. They will be in business until October so people can get one last season in.

Old April 22nd, 2023, 09:59 AM
Oldsdruid

I'm guessing the real estate became more valuable than the business, and car-hating people who ignorantly overpaid for nearby spec housing are raising hell about the noise.

Add in land speculators who can't stand to see a square foot of land go undeveloped and there goes the neighborhood.
Old April 22nd, 2023, 10:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I'm guessing the real estate became more valuable than the business, and car-hating people who ignorantly overpaid for nearby spec housing are raising hell about the noise.

Add in land speculators who can't stand to see a square foot of land go undeveloped and there goes the neighborhood.
You couldn't be more accurate. The drag strip was there long before all these **** yuppies.
Old April 22nd, 2023, 03:18 PM

As I was told, "It's the new California."
Old April 22nd, 2023, 03:28 PM

Yeah and the California people are moving to Texas...
Old April 22nd, 2023, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
It's insane. Ruining this town. People born here can't afford to live here anymore. Tearing down any cool house with style just to cram in another McMansion with no style no yard etc. Nevermind Denver is becoming the apartment capital of the US. Apartments everywhere. Can't even imagine being a young couple with a dream of owning your own house. Not here.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; April 22nd, 2023 at 03:55 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2023, 04:23 PM

And the Owner wants to retire, his family isnt interested in taking over, and the huge payout makes for a wonderful way to pay for retirement and inheritance. If you cant fill the stands every weekend, its difficult to maintain the operations.
States with huge population influx are going to continue to lose recreational sites to housing and Amazon warehouses. Fortunately, our tracks in Michigan are expanding and upgrading their facilities. And working together to cross promote each other
Old April 23rd, 2023, 07:01 AM

I used to go there back in the 80’s with the Denver GTO club. Morrison was such a cool little town..Sad to see..We are hoping the same fate doesn’t befall Bradenton Motor Sports dragstrip here in south Florida.😔. Sad..guess us Boomers are slowly becoming dust in the wind.
Old April 23rd, 2023, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Andy
I used to go there back in the 80’s with the Denver GTO club. Morrison was such a cool little town..Sad to see..We are hoping the same fate doesn’t befall Bradenton Motor Sports dragstrip here in south Florida.😔. Sad..guess us Boomers are slowly becoming dust in the wind.
At least Bradenton has owners who invest in the park(new track surface) and make sure there are plenty of events year round. The City building commission recently ruled that the new home construction being built next to the track must include a buffer zone, noise abatement berm with trees, and that all buyers be informed of the existing racing facilities in the area
Old April 23rd, 2023, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by 70W-32
At least Bradenton has owners who invest in the park(new track surface) and make sure there are plenty of events year round. The City building commission recently ruled that the new home construction being built next to the track must include a buffer zone, noise abatement berm with trees, and that all buyers be informed of the existing racing facilities in the area
Yes I am aware of that..my fear is once everything is built up around it the powers that be start waffling on the building commission ruling..
Old April 23rd, 2023, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Wow terrible news. Home of the Mile High Nationals is the latest dragstrip to go down. So sad. I grew up there. Running around the pits. Watching my oldest brother wax everyone consistently on his 1000 cc Kawasaki. So many of my brother's and myself have raced up there. Sad sad day.

Hat's off to the Bandimere family for everything they have done for this community. Since 1958.

https://kdvr.com/news/local/bandimer...racing-season/

https://bangshift.com/general-news/l...mere-speedway/
I just got off the phone with my buddy who’s son races jap cars out there consistently and he says Bandimere family looking for another site to put a new facility in..my guess is they are cashing out because of growth out by Morrison and going to build possibly east? Who knows, but according to Gary that is the plan.
Old April 23rd, 2023, 09:57 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Andy
Yes I am aware of that..my fear is once everything is built up around it the powers that be start waffling on the building commission ruling..
That's why it pays you to attend county supervisor and city council meetings, planning and development commission meetings, basically ANY meeting where people are making decisions affecting your property and interests.

Let them know politely but firmly you're there as an interested observer and you're watching what they do. Then don't be afraid to speak up. Again, politely but firmly.
Old April 23rd, 2023, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
No offense Joe P., but as you like to say... ding ding ding!

Run to Rund you nailed it right on the head. I used to live there and tracks that have been there for a long time and were out in the sticks when built have been over run by people. I gain no pleasure in saying it, but most of them from California bringing their mindset with them. Goodbye race tracks.

I now live in Idaho and it is happening again. Californians invading the place. You can't tell me it's because they love the Idaho mindset like they did Colorado. Nope, it's all because they can sell their absurdly overpriced shack in California and drive the real estate prices through the roof wherever they go. Not a fan.
Old April 24th, 2023, 04:59 PM

Growing up in Denver my first introduction to the track was before it was built. In high school we had permission to look for fossils in the rocks at the sight. We actually found fossilized sharks teeth. Grew up buying my parts from "Johnny" Jr.
Jahns pistons, Isky cam for my 371 Olds build. To me the Bandimeres were first class. My connection to them is very personal. The loss of the track follows on the loss of CDR south of Denver and Thunder Road east of Denver. Heck thunder Road on Tower rd was in the middle of nowhere. It would now be between Denver and the new airport. The growth drove me out also.
Old April 25th, 2023, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider

That's what happened to Englishtown, NJ Raceway Track. No more Summer Nationals.
Old April 25th, 2023, 04:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ncboat
Growing up in Denver my first introduction to the track was before it was built. In high school we had permission to look for fossils in the rocks at the sight. We actually found fossilized sharks teeth. Grew up buying my parts from "Johnny" Jr.
Jahns pistons, Isky cam for my 371 Olds build. To me the Bandimeres were first class. My connection to them is very personal. The loss of the track follows on the loss of CDR south of Denver and Thunder Road east of Denver. Heck thunder Road on Tower rd was in the middle of nowhere. It would now be between Denver and the new airport. The growth drove me out also.
We grew up street racing at Thunder Road? We called it Century 21. Spent so much time out there. I am guessing near there is where a new track may end up. Fews years back NASCAR wanted to bring a track there and the powers that be in Aurora said no thanks. Talk about a stupid move. We will see what happens.
Old April 25th, 2023, 06:31 PM

Fews years back NASCAR wanted to bring a track there and the powers that be in Aurora said no thanks. Talk about a stupid move. We will see what happens.
You'd have to go out to Strasburg or maybe Fort Morgan. The yuppies along the front range aren't going to go for anything like that near them. Not to mention the Denver smog is getting to really be an issue. You can see the brown yuck hanging over Denver from as far north as Loveland. It's a losing battle my friend.
Old April 25th, 2023, 06:43 PM

I used to race at Second Creek Raceway @ 88th & Buckley road off of Tower Rd Near DIA. I think they closed the track in 2000. Same B.S. People complaining about the noise and smell. Funny thing is you can still see the outline of the track. They could have raced there for another 20 years. It is just now beginning to be overrun. What a crock.
Old April 25th, 2023, 06:47 PM
Banned

Not my battle but sure is a bummer for those that race a lot. More street racing will be the result.
Old April 26th, 2023, 07:30 AM

This sucks, I really liked that track...I'm slowly running out of tracks within a reasonable driving distance.
Old April 26th, 2023, 07:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 69oldsguy
I used to race at Second Creek Raceway @ 88th & Buckley road off of Tower Rd Near DIA. I think they closed the track in 2000. Same B.S. People complaining about the noise and smell. Funny thing is you can still see the outline of the track. They could have raced there for another 20 years. It is just now beginning to be overrun. What a crock.
Agreed to all you said. Just sad. We also frequented Second Creek.
Old April 27th, 2023, 05:49 AM

I raced my '69 4-speed 4-4-2 at Century 21 long after it had closed. I had no idea what I was doing, LOL! Got totally smoked by a '71 4-4-2 with an automagic. There used to be a gathering there on Saturday and Sunday mornings to run down the 1/4 mile track. Then the local constabulary came out and dumped a line of piles of dirt down the whole length of the 1/4 mile to shutdown the racing. When we were kids my buddy's dad took us out to watch the stock car racing at CDR, Century 21, Second Creek, Lakewood. What a blast! Good Times, back in the day.
Old April 27th, 2023, 06:15 AM
Banned

We had of crossed paths back in the day. What color was your 69? What color 71 did you race? We Lived out there. We were out there (Century 21) all the time. I remember when they brought all the dirt out there. Last I checked the track and the dirt are still there.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; April 27th, 2023 at 06:18 AM.
Old April 27th, 2023, 08:22 AM

NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED
Old April 27th, 2023, 08:25 AM
Banned

Classic. 👍

Go Nuggets 🏀
Old April 27th, 2023, 08:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gear head
This sucks, I really liked that track...I'm slowly running out of tracks within a reasonable driving distance.
I am guessing more people will take a trip to Pueblo to race there. Long jaunt but we will see if Bandimere moves somewhere closer. Fingers crossed 🤞
Old April 27th, 2023, 09:02 AM
Gary

Deleted
Old April 27th, 2023, 09:30 AM

Per the forum rules there shall be no trolling or flaming.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...aq_userconduct
Old April 27th, 2023, 02:19 PM

The Cars in my Post

We had of crossed paths back in the day. What color was your 69? What color 71 did you race? We Lived out there. We were out there (Century 21) all the time. I remember when they brought all the dirt out there. Last I checked the track and the dirt are still there.
No1, my 4-4-2 is the blue one in my signature, and here. The '71, as I recall was brown. I seem to recall a vinyl top, but wouldn't swear to that. (Pic of brown 71 poached from Oldsmobilecentral.com.)

Old April 27th, 2023, 02:40 PM
Banned

Seems like I vaguely remember that 69. Is that at Gateway?
Do you remember if the 71 you raced was a bucket seat column shift car by chance? My brother's friend had a 71 442 that color. Tan vinyl top. I want to say it had a white center hood stripe. Small world.

We are the ones that measured and put down the starting and finishing lines out there. I will dig out some pictures. Do you remember a white 57 Chevy wagon? Maybe a kind of beater butternut yellow 68 Chevelle with a black SS hood? Maybe either of these cars?

Last edited by no1oldsfan; April 27th, 2023 at 02:57 PM.
Old April 29th, 2023, 08:40 AM

Very sad day indeed. A goal of mine was to finish the build on my car and run it at Bandimere, just for kicks. I better get a move on. Sounds like they’re closing up at the end of the season. Make Colorado great again 😂
Old April 30th, 2023, 10:35 AM

No1,
The pic of my '69 is at the old Latin Quarter apt complex. I don't know whether the '71 had buckets or column shift. I don't recall the hood stripe either. My main memory was of the tail lights receding way in front of me as my wheel hop sent my rear end to the right, LOL! I did go to Gateway HS, though.
Old July 15th, 2023, 05:34 PM
Banned

So this weekend is the last weekend for The Mile High Nationals. Bandimere Speedway is like no other in the US. Sucks to see it go down. I grew up there. 65 years. John Bandimere was a super good dude. The entire family is really. There is a rumor going around that Bandimere is moving near the airport DIA. I am thinking for sure they are moving to the old The Century 21 location. They are mentioning that the new Bandimere will have an oval track too. Century had that.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; July 15th, 2023 at 05:37 PM.
Old July 16th, 2023, 06:35 AM

So this weekend is the last weekend for The Mile High Nationals. Bandimere Speedway is like no other in the US. Sucks to see it go down. I grew up there. 65 years. John Bandimere was a super good dude. The entire family is really. There is a rumor going around that Bandimere is moving near the airport DIA. I am thinking for sure they are moving to the old The Century 21 location. They are mentioning that the new Bandimere will have an oval track too. Century had that.
I saw that article, also. Isn't the old Century 21 location built-over with warehouse/industrial now?
Old July 16th, 2023, 07:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
I saw that article, also. Isn't the old Century 21 location built-over with warehouse/industrial now?
Last I saw it was still sitting like it has been for years. Everything around it has been built up with warehousing but pretty sure Century is still there.

They just brought up on the news that the spot they are looking at near DIA is 1000 acres. I don't think Century has that much space. They are talking that they will be putting in an oval track as well. Years ago NASCAR wanted a track out there. Aurora city chumps said no thanks. Maybe that will be changing. Denver would be a great spot for a NASCAR track I think.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; July 16th, 2023 at 07:39 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2023, 12:41 PM
Banned

Well the day came yesterday. Nice that whoever shot some video for the news caught a 68 Oldsmobile getting it done 👍

Long live Thunder Mountain
Sad day 😔

Quick Reply: Another Dragstrip Closing Bandimere Speedway