General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

American Racing G-Body Big Block Headers Question

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2020, 02:27 PM

American Racing G-Body Big Block Headers Question

Hello everyone, I've recently been considering putting headers back on my car and the general consensus seems to be that American Racing Headers are the way to go. With my old headers on the 455 it was a nightmare to change the starter. I had to drop the header and lift the motor a few inches up to get the clearance to pull it out. This time I plan on getting a mini starter to help with the clearance issues, I've read that the Powermaster 9510 is the starter these headers were designed around so it is probably what I will go with. My question is, does anyone know how difficult it is to access or change this mini starter with these headers if ever needed? I don't want to have to drop the header and lift the motor again to change a starter, once was enough. As well, has anyone had any experience with this model starter? Thanks.
Old November 15th, 2020, 05:10 PM
72 Olds CS

I cant answer the g body end of the questions, but i have the power master on my a body w 455. ( w manifolds) and it works great never a heat soak issue and smaller size n weight than the OE unit!
Old November 15th, 2020, 09:52 PM

hurstoldsal
I have that starter in my car.with headers. But its a 350 in a 1987 Cutlass. That starter is clockable(Two allen screws, be sure to loctite them. I found out 4 years later). can be turned to help fit with air space around. I added a thermal blanket around the starter. Headman Headers coated. First ,the Powermaster starter and alternator have been in my car since 2006. And still work great, you may never have to replace them.

t's been 14 years but In think I only had to remove the transmission lever to fit. I cooked two starters before Powermaster. Installed a Ford(Guy's please do not hate me) solenoid near the battery and bypassed the one on the starter. The solenoid on the Powermaster I am sure is well made. Just been under so many GMs hitting the solenoid with the handle end of an screwdriver, next a hammer and replace or rebuild the damn thing. Sometimes messing with the wires going to solenoid. Ford solenoid just gives me full control. I can even start it easily If it goes bad.. Have a lot of experience with G body. Hope this helps.

hurstoldsal Great car! Love the pictures of your engine bay! Take a look at my Profile Albums. Have some good ideas for power, braking and handling

Fit my olds 455Summit Racing Verified Purchase

PWM-9510
I installed this because it is smaller than the PM-9610 which I had been running an olds small block I put the 9510 on a 455 in a G body with American racing headers with minor clearancing to one pipe above the starter. I have good luck with power master products they have all been good.