General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Am I the only one with tunnel vision in the car hobby?

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2021, 03:38 PM

Am I the only one with tunnel vision in the car hobby?

I hate to say it but outside of Oldsmobile I am lost and confused. To the point that I don't hardly even like looking at them. Well, pre war stuff I love looking at but don't really know much about them. I love going to shows that are not exclusive to Oldsmobile with the Jetfire because so many people don't know what it is. I love telling people about them that are interested. When they start talking about their non Oldsmobile car I get lost really quick. I hate that I am like that. Other than taking the Jetfire and informing people about them, I just prefer exclusive Oldsmobile shows or a touch of Buick. I assume this is common among people of specific vehicle make forums but maybe it is just me? Put a Mustang or Chevelle of any year year in front of me and I just can't get into them.
Old June 16th, 2021, 06:47 PM

I consider myself fortunate I have many friends who are into “brand X”foreign car makes. I have a few Grand National buddies, a Buick Gran Sport friend, lots of Mopar fanatics, Camaro and Chevelle friends (not like those are hard to find!!!). I can enjoy other car brands without the expense and hassles of actually owning them.
Old June 16th, 2021, 07:33 PM
72 Olds CS

I like all cars n trucks n bikes n sleds n boats n scooters n bicycles n snowmobiles etctec.

I do focus on olds and fords and yams but in the end i like them all.
Old June 16th, 2021, 07:33 PM
Administrator

I have a love for most vintage cars from the mid 70's back and enjoy looking at all makes. I especially enjoy hot rods and looking at other peoples modifications.
Old June 16th, 2021, 08:43 PM

I like looking at all cars, but my knowledge gets low. I know Olds fairly well, Chevy OK, but my Ford van....uh, that engine is a 302....Mistake on the Lake or British Royalty? Not quite that bad, but I fail badly at those 20 questions identify the trim from the 40s is it a Studebaker, Packard, Hudson or LaSalle quizzes. I like nearly all classic cars, want to own maybe 5% of them, and know something about 1% of them.
Old June 16th, 2021, 09:54 PM

Oldsmobiles the best, but I like checking most of the muscle cars out. Not real interested in street rods, lead sleds or rat rods. Enjoy unmodified cars of the 70's and earlier, and all of the Classics, and brass era cars as well.
Old June 17th, 2021, 02:46 AM
Lansing built

I highly prefer Oldsmobiles. I still have a liking for Buick rigs also. Owned one a long time ago and that car should ended that right away!

I have owned a lot Chevy D.D. including a couple of Z34's back in my early to mid 20's. Segway to my latest purchase with only 29K miles

Old June 17th, 2021, 03:27 AM

I like classic shows that include all makes. It usually makes my Olds stand out all the more, because there are so few of them. I will admit that I'm bored with Camaros and Mustangs. If you remove them from the shows that I go to, you'd probably loose a third to half of the cars there. The last show that I was at, my favorite car turned out to be a truck. I spent about 45 minutes talking to an older guy about his '71 Chevy w/ an 8ft bed. He had done a beautiful job in restoring it and I worked on so many of them as a kid in my Dad's garage. We just got talking and the time flew. My wife didn't get it. She walked off after a few to check out a '70 Camaro.

It was only later that she finally got it. I got to talking to this guy because I remembered working on them so much during my youth, and she loved the '70 Camaro because it reminded her of her best friend's car as a kid and all of the fun that they had.

That's what these shows are supposed to be about. Remembering and fun.
Old June 17th, 2021, 03:57 AM

Chris, I love that Lumina, don't see many of them around here anymore!
-- I love all the old cars, my Dad was a car salesman in the 60-70's, so I saw lots of new sweet cars back then. My favorites are all GM cars and the "Muscle" type Chrysler products. I was never into Fords really though the first Mustangs were cool. Speaking of that I was called a "Ford Man" the other day by a friend who has only known me for a couple years because I have a 06 F250 and my 56 F100, and before that F250 I had a 05 F150. I have never been called a Ford Man before, seemed so funny..
Old June 17th, 2021, 04:54 AM

I like & can appreciate all makes & models. I have my favorites,but to me it's about the passion for the hobby & recognizing the efforts people put in to them.
I end up talking to the owners of cars that I don't even particularly desire just to learn more about them.

I had a black 92 Z34, but with the silver/red side stripe & grey interior. Mine was a factory 5 speed (rare) & then my wife had a red 92 Z34 also after I sold mine.
Nice cars except plan on a timing belt at 70K miles & hope you never have to change the alternator as it's above the pass side axle.
Old June 17th, 2021, 07:08 AM

I like m all also especially the old orphans or unusual different stuff. Old Old's is my favorite and I have a liking for the rat rod class if they are done well. (I'm not sure what a well built rat rod is but I know it when I see it). I'm just getting my feet wet on the foreign makes and realize I have a lot to learn. Never hurts to open your horizons..... Lost in the fifties...Tedd
Old June 17th, 2021, 08:09 AM

I like them all, however I have seen enough chevelles and camaros to last a lifetime..the only exception to that chevy deal is a true 70 LS6 chevelle still intrigues me.. And of course all the early 60’s factory hot rods , 409 Impalas, early multi carb dodges, pontiacs, oldsmobiles and fords..
Old June 17th, 2021, 11:02 AM
Oldsdruid

I used to be kind of Olds-only but as I get older I find myself turning back into a car-crazy kid that likes anything with an engine and wheels. I know 60s GM best but more and more I appreciate everyone's products, domestic and foreign.

A young French guy posts pics on AACA from car shows he attends in France. I get to see European cars I'd never heard of and some of them are pretty hot as cars go. There's a large American car following in Europe and just today he put up pics of an American car meet he did over the weekend- he has a 69 Electra and 78 Dodge "Dukes of Hazzard" cop car.

I never paid much attention to Japanese cars till I started watching JDM Legends, and it hit me that federal regulations prevented us from getting the really cool Japanese and European stuff.

Last few years I've developed a thing for old work trucks- stake beds, wreckers, things like that- and oddball half-ton pickups. Internationals and Studebakers are just cool.

Then there's old tractors 🚜. Love 'em, restored or still working.
Old June 17th, 2021, 02:38 PM

I love variety, and unique cars always catch my eye. I always just look for cars that catch my eye instead of sorting them by brand or era.

I like seeing original cars, ratty muscle cars being used, or very meticulous restorations/hot rods... the middle of the road, average restoration to "stock-ish" specs doesn't do much for me. If someone shows up with a mint survivor AMC Pacer, I'm going to check it out.
Old June 18th, 2021, 11:52 PM

Automobiles and Music have parallels for me, for example in music I like it all except I'm not a fan of rap or hip hop. If your driving in my car you could be listening to Led Zeplin one minute and Tommy Dorsey or Bennie Goodman the next. or maybe a little Willie Nelson or Buddy Guy.
For automobiles I like them all Classics, resto mods from Packard's to Pacers. I don't quite understand the Rat Rod thing and I don't get in to
foreign cars that much although I can appreciate them both because they are preserving vehicles.
I do have a soft spot for any thing 1934-39 I call it my Fat Fender Fantasy and someday I may realize it. Until then my 56 Olds is just fine, Its a hit at local car shows, and while I admit to liking Tri- 5 Chevys there are always multiples, sedans and hardtops but I have yet to see a 56 Olds 2 door sedan show up. I know they are out there but they must be keeping them under wraps.
I'm afraid My Olds will be staying in the garage for a while , it was 117 degrees today !!