General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Am I just overly sensitive?

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2011, 08:25 PM

Am I just overly sensitive?

So I picked up a used radio for Lorayne on craigslist and it in awesome shape. Not to mention the guy I got it from was fantastic I don't plan to actually hook it up as it essentially a prop to fill in my dash. But over all I'm happy. I got happiness and a new source all for $20

I was checking other deals out there and ran across another ad and thought I'd take a look

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/2395936693.html

Someone please tell me I'm just over reacting. But $700 bucks? Holly crap. I email the guy asking why he though $700 was reasonable and he replied with:

"What in the Hell makes you think I am going to sell it to you anyway?

Doesn't it just **** you off when you know you want something really bad,
but your either too tight to let go of the money or just too poor to buy
that damn thing?

Try Singing to yourself..... Or better yet, go hit every wrecking yard you
can find for the next 30 days straight & see how many you can find.... Who
knows, you might get lucky & find an old AM to FM converter still hanging
under the dash..... Or NOT !

Besides, that is what these 70-72 Cutlass Radio / 8-Track combos bring .....

Good Luck !"

Needless to say I will not Ever be dealing with Mr. Mark Boohner of Booher Performance in Dallas TX.

The nerve of some people!
Old May 30th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Ha! That's funny.

I gather that a lot of these technologically inferior accessories bring stupid money, but I think, considering the actual practical utility of an 8-track player in 2011, it is just that, stupid. I mean, this stuff is essentially what you called it - dash filler. You've got a restored fancy car, you want something fancy sticking out of the dash. You probably have a Sirius radio or an iPod in the glove compartment anyway. (Yes, I'm sure there's one guy on this board who listens to his 8-track every day, and he will flame me now. Such is life.)

The vast majority of people who buy these things (and it doesn't look like this one even works) would do just as well with an AM radio in the dash slot (and there were lots more AM radios sold and used, making an AM radio, in a way, a more accurate "restoration" detail), and are essentially spending their (hard-earned?) money on a couple of ***** they will never turn.

I know some will disagree with me, but that's the way I see it.

- Eric
Old May 30th, 2011, 08:48 PM

Dont feel bad mochi, have you looked to see what some people are getting for NOS radiator caps? Nuts, just plain nuts.
Old May 30th, 2011, 08:56 PM

I mean I fully understand getting what the market will bear but that's just plain ludicrous. Then the nerve of the guy to treat a potential customer that way. Floored just floored.
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

One hates to put it in this perspective, but some people just have no class.

Homes is a lowlife. Nuthin' more to say.

- Eric
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:06 PM

What's worse is I did some research on the guy and found out he's been in the business for 20 years!
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:18 AM

Probably deals with people on craigslist a lot. You ever place a add? He spent more time responding to someone asking him to "justify" his price than I would lol.
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:43 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I buy & sell most of 60's \ 70's GM parts full time...

If interested, Contact [me] at 214-[xxx-xxxx] or Email me via Craigslist.

PLEASE, NO Scammers or Time Wasters !
While I would say, on the one hand, that dealing with Craigslist probably DOES net him a disproportionate number of "Looky-Lous." and that he DOES say "NO... Time Wasters," on the other hand, I would note that he could have easily, and appropriately, ignored Mochi's e-mail, and that when he responded to it, he was actually wasting his own time, and not having someone else waste it for him. Also, I would agree that if this is his full-time job, it would behoove him to have some halfway decent customer service, since the person he insulted today may be the potential customer tomorrow. Regardless of whether his response would incline one to like him or not, it presages the sort of response one might be likely to get from him in the event of a problem with a purchased item.

Finally, the wording of his ad, "I do not know if it works... The rule of thumb on radios & 8 tracks from the early Classci [sic] cars is that if the Stereo had stopped working, it was NORMALLY PULLED out Replaced with a WORKING unit... & it could be repaired if NECESSARY ! I would bet that this Radio will work by the Looks of IT !!!" reeks of dishonesty. How hard is it for the "FULL TIME" seller to slap 12v on that puppy and see if it goes? He knows darn well that it's broken, but is looking to lube up prospective customers with flim-flam to sell it anyway.

I stick by my assessment: Lowlife.

- Eric
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mochi
I mean I fully understand getting what the market will bear but that's just plain ludicrous. Then the nerve of the guy to treat a potential customer that way. Floored just floored.
He is a complete moron.
An appropriate response would be either NONE, or it is very rare, it works (it better for that $$), or excellent shape (better be!), or whatever.

I would not believe the 20 year part if he acts like that. I would prolly flag it in CL. If he acts that way, I think something is wrong with him and noone should bring 700 in cash even close to him.

Sure he can sell it for any $, but should act like a businessman if he is serious about any sales.
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:08 AM
Past Administrator

$700 is too much money.
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:23 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Ha! That's funny.

I gather that a lot of these technologically inferior accessories bring stupid money, but I think, considering the actual practical utility of an 8-track player in 2011, it is just that, stupid. I mean, this stuff is essentially what you called it - dash filler. You've got a restored fancy car, you want something fancy sticking out of the dash. You probably have a Sirius radio or an iPod in the glove compartment anyway. (Yes, I'm sure there's one guy on this board who listens to his 8-track every day, and he will flame me now. Such is life.)

The vast majority of people who buy these things (and it doesn't look like this one even works) would do just as well with an AM radio in the dash slot (and there were lots more AM radios sold and used, making an AM radio, in a way, a more accurate "restoration" detail), and are essentially spending their (hard-earned?) money on a couple of ***** they will never turn.

I know some will disagree with me, but that's the way I see it.

- Eric
HA HA , I use to own a 8 track back in the day and beleive me ....with the technology today , who in their right mind would want to listen to a 8 track lol....they sounded absolutely terrible period , but if your car came with one and you wanted it complete , I would get one for a filler.....not for that price though. I dont care what anybody says......being rude to potential customers is wrong period...like some others said on here , I wouldnt buy from him at all.
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
HA HA , I use to own a 8 track back in the day and beleive me ....with the technology today , who in their right mind would want to listen to a 8 track lol....they sounded absolutely terrible period , but if your car came with one and you wanted it complete , I would get one for a filler.....not for that price though. I dont care what anybody says......being rude to potential customers is wrong period...like some others said on here , I wouldnt buy from him at all.
I love listening to my 8-track. I've got Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" in it right now. Apparently I am not in my right mind.
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:54 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by starfire
I love listening to my 8-track. I've got Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" in it right now. Apparently I am not in my right mind.
Gone to the dark side of the moon, I'd say.

- Eric
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:01 AM

I have my old AM-FM 8 track in my car. However I use the AM-FM CD/MP3 player in the glove box because it's the one that's hooked up. I think you made the better deal. I bought this for $800 (radio included)

DSC_5966.jpg

Last edited by 442much; May 31st, 2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
You're over reacting.

It's his item, and he can sell it for whatever he wants.
If it's NOT in your budget, best thing to do is ignore it, laugh, and move on.

Apparently there is a market or maybe he's testing the market to see if it's there.
There's tons of fools blowing large $$$ on OEM rare parts. He's trying to catch one.

By you emailing him trying to question his judgment can be taken as offensive.
He's probably saying "the nerve of some people" himself.
Just a thought......
I gotta agree w/ Aces here.... particularly this...
best thing to do is ignore it, laugh, and move on.
Seller sets the price. Its a business deal. Take it or leave it.

The shopper can either dismiss the offered price as unreasonable or try to negotiate a different price. Questioning the seller...as in asking them to 'justify' the price... is (IMO) a bit out of line for a business deal like this.

I've bought & sold a lot of stuff with CL. The biggest problem I run into is that many people who are seemingly adults are unable to remove emotion from the deal.

It works both ways. In the OP's case, the seller should've just responded with something like "I believe its a fair price. Are you making an offer ? Thanks for your interest." instead of having a kiddy hissy fit.

Conversely, I've had people offer like $100 for a $700 item. I just say "Thanks for your interest and offer, but I gotta say no at this time. Take care." only to have them berate me with one or more insults.

Yeah, that really makes me want to negotiate....

Professionalism is a rarity.
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:52 AM
Randy C.

It's hard to believe, but some people buy that stuff. I've made a few "idiot" purchases in my life and will probably make a few more. Fortunately, we get to learn from our mistakes (sometimes, the hard way!) but it makes us that much smarter in the future to avoid such purchases. $700 for an AM-FM stereo, that we don't know if it works or needs work regardless if it works, plus an 8-track with a missing door?

NAAAAAAAA!

Randy C.
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:18 AM

Craigslist is the best and worst thing to happen to those of us who love old stuff since eBay. It works both ways, for sure. You can be a seller and deal with total flakes and jerks...not to mention waiting all day for someone to not show up, or be a buyer who goes out of your way to find that the item was not as described or sold out from under you.

Yes, I would be pissed off that someone treated me like that, and would never buy from him...never, nothing for any price. But he probably thought you were a supreme jerk, because he is used to that, and no matter how nicely you worded your email, he saw you as just another a** questioning his wisdom in charging a ton of money for his *rare item*.

I onced wasted 4 days to try to give away some roosters, 9 people didn't show up...in a row! I LOVE Craigslist, don't get me wrong. But it is as double edged a sword as you can find. You have to let it roll off, or you don't have any fun.

Kathleen
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:50 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by starfire
yea , I had Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin on 8 track....Pink Floyd would of been great too
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:51 AM
Olds fanatic

Originally Posted by KathleenF
Craigslist is the best and worst thing to happen to those of us who love old stuff since eBay. It works both ways, for sure. You can be a seller and deal with total flakes and jerks...not to mention waiting all day for someone to not show up, or be a buyer who goes out of your way to find that the item was not as described or sold out from under you.

Kathleen
This is soooo true! CL really brings out the riff-raff....but I still love it!

To the OP: I don't think you're overreacting if your issue is with his response rather than his price. There is simply no excuse for this type of response to a potential customer. It so happens that I live near Dallas and I see this guy's ads all the time...and he does have some stuff that I could really use. But there is no way in hell I will ever do business with him now. And how many others on this thread have said this too? Ok, he got his point across - "you're a jerk for questioning me", but what did this cost him??

It seems that most people on this thread agree, that if you think his price is insanely unrealistic, then just ignore it and move on as opposed to questioning his reasoning for his price.

I went through this same situation once when selling an original '64 442 air cleaner. I got a very rude inquiry from a lady who questioned whether the air cleaner was made of gold. I am not new to selling Olds parts and I certainly know the rarity and desirability of this piece. However, I did not respond to her at all.

FWIW, I don't have a problem with his price. I could pay it if I wanted too, but I don't think those parts are worth that price to me. If it's not worth it to anyone else either, then he will never sell it or he'll have to adjust his price. That is how the market works. On the other hand, if someone pays him $700 for it, then it wasn't overpriced to that buyer, was it?

I think these "outrageous" prices are all relative. If you use your rent money to buy a $700 8-track, that's probably not a good idea. But if you're doing a 6 figure restoration on a high dollar car then $700 is no big deal. Some people are wealthy and could drop $700 on a car part just as easy as I could drop $7 on a burger and fries. It's not for me to judge that he's a "fool" for dropping that kind of money on a part that I think is overpriced. It's his money, let him spend it how he sees fit.
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:01 PM

I've had dealings with this guy. He thinks he has all the parts. So he can charge what he wants. Been to his place it's a dump. he thinks and acts like BILLIONS AND TRILLONS. HE IS JUST A WASTE TIME AND MONEY.
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:42 PM

Takes a thick skin to survive these days. You always have the option to walk away.
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:31 PM

Mochi - you are not overly sensitive. This guys a Jack *** and those on this board who defend him are the same. God forbid you call out some jerk *** for over charging on something. This country is full of jack ***'s with no manners or class whatsoever.
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:51 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

Mochi, my Dad told me "A fool and his money are soon parted". You still have your money so you ain't a fool. Laugh it off. Do what the others did, hide a modern radio somewhere with Sirius/whatever and enjoy the ride. I'm slowly gathering parts for my car while it's in the paint shop. Found some smokin deals while being patient but it's an Olds, my luck will soon end..........
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:19 PM

Well I was planning on using it as a filler and buying one of those mounts that a guy here sells. For my actual stero. :-) I'm over it the guy is trash.
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:19 PM

Oh look........it was flagged for removal....:-)
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:32 PM

Yeah, thats how it works.
Old June 1st, 2011, 12:18 AM

A lot of people flag ads also if the price is too good. They get the info and then flag it so they get "dibs".