General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Almost scary 90s Cadillac wreck

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Oldsdruid

Almost scary 90s Cadillac wreck

Guess I'd never considered tanks like these would split in half like this one did.

http://www.yourgv.com/index.php/news...harges-pending
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:31 PM
NOVICE car nut

Trees dont move .
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Justin

I wonder how fast they were going ??

That seems pretty extream
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:00 PM

I like how the article had to say that the Cadillac was totaled, as if you could just buff out that little bump and be on the road again tomorrow.
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Always room for one more

I can't believe they put a dollar amount on the totaled Cadillac. I think if someone were to try to put that car back together it would take more than 4500.

The article didn't say what charges were pending against the old man. Drunk driving? Reckless endangerment?
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:14 PM

Im just baffled that the guy is alive, much less in one piece.
Old February 11th, 2013, 07:04 PM

Two words... Ouch!
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bluemeanie
Im just baffled that the guy is alive, much less in one piece.
Looks like the car ripping apart helped saved him. He stayed in the front driver side area as it ripped off while the rest of the car took the impact of the tree...

Reminds me of another I remember from years ago...

Driver stepped out and called in the crash...

Freaky things happen in crashes sometimes...
Old February 12th, 2013, 10:35 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Indy_68_S
Looks like the car ripping apart helped saved him. He stayed in the front driver side area as it ripped off while the rest of the car took the impact of the tree...

Reminds me of another I remember from years ago...

Driver stepped out and called in the crash...

Freaky things happen in crashes sometimes...
Holy Crap ! he walked out of the vehicle after that ? WOW ! I guess he didn't have to open the door to get out lol
Old February 12th, 2013, 01:45 PM

Back in the day in my town a group of sailors hit a large tree in a 70 Toronado. They hit that tree so fast and hard that the trunk flipped up onto the roof practically folding the car in half. The engine and transmission were in the front seat. It killed the five sailors onboard.
Having owned a 70 Toronado I would have never thought that could happen but I saw it in person. Trees just don't move as stated.
Old February 13th, 2013, 08:51 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Back in the day in my town a group of sailors hit a large tree in a 70 Toronado. They hit that tree so fast and hard that the trunk flipped up onto the roof practically folding the car in half. The engine and transmission were in the front seat. It killed the five sailors onboard.
Having owned a 70 Toronado I would have never thought that could happen but I saw it in person. Trees just don't move as stated.
OMG ! That's something to be imagined ! a friend of mine was in a car that hit a tree sideways at a high rate of speed that ripped the car in half in the late 80's .... Today he is permanently disabled . He can walk , but needs a cane to do so .
Old February 13th, 2013, 01:46 PM

Didn't know the guy, but I saw a 90's Camaro back in the late 90's, hit a tree and was split in half, the back half of the car was up in the tree, about 20 feet off the ground.

Don't know anything more than that. Dude had to be moving
Old February 13th, 2013, 02:41 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Here. Warning you will need hours for both sites! Enjoy! wreckedexotics.com and even better is carsinbarns.com.
If you dig through the wrecks theres a 68 or 69 camaro that is completely folded in half. Its on display somewhere as an example of why not to DWI. The rear axle is over the dash!
Old February 13th, 2013, 07:58 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Here is said Camaro. Note telephone pole. They say its a 68 but its clearly a 69.

<<<Quote: Car: 1968 Camaro
Description: In 1979, four high school boys were drinking and street racing when they lost control and clipped a pole while airborn. All 4 were killed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bad685.jpg (54.9 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by droldsmorland; February 13th, 2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old February 13th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Oldsdruid

That 59 Chevy destruction was part of the reason I posted the Caddy wreck, but I wanted to see if anyone else would tie them together.

Point is, even though new cars are inherently safer than 50-year-old cars, they aren't immune to destruction either. I'll grant that in the Caddy and in the SUV Indy 68S posted, people survived whereas they would probably have died in the same collision in an older car.
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:56 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by rocketraider
That 59 Chevy destruction was part of the reason I posted the Caddy wreck, but I wanted to see if anyone else would tie them together.

Point is, even though new cars are inherently safer than 50-year-old cars, they aren't immune to destruction either. I'll grant that in the Caddy and in the SUV Indy 68S posted, people survived whereas they would probably have died in the same collision in an older car.
X2 , it's too bad they had to wreck that caddy though
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
YouTube vid of '59 Impala crash test
I've always been a bit suspect of this 'test'...ever since it came out a few years ago. While I do believe that cars are much, much safer than they were 50 years ago, I wonder if there's more drama than fact here...

We don't know the condition of the '59, It could be rusted to 'lace' with a quick paint job holding it together (just has to look OK for the camera!). It's obviously not a pristine unmolested survivor car. Watch the clouds of rust that spray out during impact...(~1:04 has a good one coming out of the rockers)
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:46 PM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Indy_68_S
I've always been a bit suspect of this 'test'...ever since it came out a few years ago. While I do believe that cars are much, much safer than they were 50 years ago, I wonder if there's more drama than fact here...

We don't know the condition of the '59, It could be rusted to 'lace' with a quick paint job holding it together (just has to look OK for the camera!). It's obviously not a pristine unmolested survivor car. Watch the clouds of rust that spray out during impact...(~1:04 has a good one coming out of the rockers)
I agree. However, I believe the 80's and 90's full frame autos are very safe cars. Impact bumpers, 3 point belts and lots of sheet metal and crash protection. Today I saw a 90's rear drive fleetwood full frame car take on a new Grand Cherokee. Everyone seemed to be fine, but the Cherokee looked much worse off.
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

the 59 could have been a heep but it's true old cars are not safe. I crashed my cutlass into the median wall on the highway i prbably hit it at 35 mph i took out the core support fender and i crushed the fire wall which i had to pull on the frame machine. if i had hit it any harder the whole pillar would have pushed the roof up and you can see where im going with this. Old cars did not have crush zones so the enrgy of the impact moved throguh out the car with out being absorbed.
Old February 15th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Oldsdruid

There was a lot of discussion on AACA about that 09-59 staged crash and several people familiar with that particular 59 said it was a nice original survivor car until that test. Two of them had looked at it and turned it down because of the asking price-which I understand was up in Impala convert territory.

Would be interesting to know how much the insurance institute paid for it, only to destroy it. I guess when you're promoting an agenda, neither cost nor intrinsic value is an object.