General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

all Olds show, Oct 11, Downingtown, PA

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2009, 08:00 AM

all Olds show, Oct 11, Downingtown, PA

7th Annual All Oldsmobile Fall Show, Sunday, Oct 12, 2009, Kerr Park, Downingtown, PA, sponsored by the Delaware Valley Oldsmobile Club, chapter of the Oldsmobile Club of America, trophies, dash plaques, door prizes, 50/50, food, $10 pre-reg, $15 day of show, spectators free, bring canned good for food bank
Nice park setting with children's playground, previous years have had
50 - 80 Oldsmobiles of all years and models. Bring your daily driver to show car. Need not be a member of OCA or DVOC to attend.
show flyer with directions and more info at:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/...wflier2009.pdf
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:33 AM

sorry title is correct, body is wrong, show is Oct 11
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:31 PM

Beat me to it. We should be there with both our wagons. Tempted top have a friend bring our future Olds powered Chevy truck.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:52 AM

Stickman,

Look forward to seeing you and your wagons then!

As longa s the truck is Olds powered, you can bring it.

Tom
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:00 AM

I won't be making it.

I'm going out the Scot Kintz's house outside Chicago and I'll be getting back in Philly on Oct 11 at 1:35 PM.

By the time I get out of the airport, etc, probably be after 3
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:34 PM

Always a nice show hoping for good weather!
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Reddog - sorry we'll miss you, hopefully see you at the next event.
Oldsmaniac - we'll see you there, weather looking cool, but OK
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:23 PM

Hopefully I will be rebuilding my carb tomorrow so my wagon can make it. I may have two back up plans. Plan B will be if I can get a cheapie carb off craigslist. Plan C is to ****** the carb of the Olds powered pickup i bought.
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:50 PM

WOOHOO!!!! the wagon is now fixed. I am NEVER taking my car to a mechanic for anything. Today I tackled something I had never done. Rebuild a Quadrajet. The directions they give in the kit really suck as they are not really directions. They tell you how to adjust things by bending this or that but no step 1 do this step to do this. I took it apart and the wife helped quite a bit. The mechanic messed up the spring for the secondary airflap and the wife figured out how to get that damn pin out. I thought it was a screw. Any way it works. I need to tune it a bit tomorrow. Seems teh mechanic changed my timing. I told him the car loves alot of advance. He dialed it back and now it has a harder time starting and was down on power. I will fix baby tomorrow and we should have both wagons at the show.
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:28 PM

I wish I were closer - sounds like a great show...

But there is something I've always wondered about (I'm still new to exhibiting in car shows). We work like dogs on our cars (granted they are labors of love), and spend countless hours and dollars on them, and then after all is said and done, we end up spending more money to register and display them. It's kind of a kick in the rear and a bit upside down, if you ask me.

Why do they not charge the spectators and leave the car owners to what they do best - exhibit their rides and make the car show a success - in fact, why not pay us for showing up (it wouldn't have to be much)? (Exception perhaps for charity events).
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Wirth
I wish I were closer - sounds like a great show...

But there is something I've always wondered about (I'm still new to exhibiting in car shows). We work like dogs on our cars (granted they are labors of love), and spend countless hours and dollars on them, and then after all is said and done, we end up spending more money to register and display them. It's kind of a kick in the rear and a bit upside down, if you ask me.

Why do they not charge the spectators and leave the car owners to what they do best - exhibit their rides and make the car show a success - in fact, why not pay us for showing up (it wouldn't have to be much)? (Exception perhaps for charity events).
Well I have no problem spending the money as it is for what I love. As to who they charge, I think that there are alot of places that simply can't charge spectators. This particular is in a city part so there is no way they could keep people out of the show area. It is a public place so there can be no charging of spectators. Also for the most part the show attended mostly by the participants so you wouldn't get much from a spectator turnout. The other thing is by letting people view the cars for free maybe they become interested in the car culture and become active participants that get their own cars and that can only be a good thing.
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:45 PM

No question about it, it is worth the money for car show entry fees - if that's all there is.

Here in AZ, we have an RV dealership that sponsors a car show every month. And they have a people's choice judging event for the cars, with prize money to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. No one pays to get in. This dealer feels that it's a win all around when people show up at his dealership - which makes for a successful show.

There is also an event held and sponsored by Mc Donalds, called the Pavilions, every Saturday evening - it is also free, and it brings a terrific biz to McDonalds. This is a show of about 250-350 quality cars, trucks and motorcycles. And I have heard of several others around the Phoenix area.

I believe that these are businesses that are thinking creatively, which adds to the community. These are the type of shows I'd like to see more of.
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:46 AM

Weather looking good still!......As to the fees, at this show lots of door prizes are usually given and of course trophies must be paid for. Sometimes too a donation must be given for use of the show site. Since it is an Olds only show it is mostly the owners who are also spectators. This show is a way for fellow Olds owners to chat, compare, and dust off the cars.
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Yes, unfortunately we, as other shows, need to pay for the site, dash plaques and trophies. Most door prizes are donated. If we can acquire some corporate sponsors, then we can have trophies paid for, etc, but that takes somebody knowing someone or some luck. And in these tough economic times, less companies sponsor events like this. We try to keep the cost as low as possible and we usually break even, which as a non profit club, is our goal.

We had a beautiful day and a great turnout of approx 60 Oldsmobiles! Overall a succesful show!
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:29 PM

And I forgot - we donate our half of the 50/50 to charity, the food sales went all to the local fire dept (who did the food) and we also had a canned good drive for a local food bank - so we try to support the community we are in. We have had some local business also donate items, so ends up a win win for everyone.
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:54 PM

We had a lot of fun. It was a great show with beautiful cars, beautiful weather, nice people, and all in all great day. I posted pics in my Hubgarage account and have figured out how to view them without being a member. Just go to www.hubgarage.com and search downingtown. Then just click on the albums pic under where it says vehicles.
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:12 PM

Stickman - thanks for coming out and glad you enjoyed yourselves.

this link shoudl work to your pictures also - all very nice!
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/Th...vehicles/42572
Old November 16th, 2009, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by tva442
And I forgot - we donate our half of the 50/50 to charity, the food sales went all to the local fire dept (who did the food) and we also had a canned good drive for a local food bank - so we try to support the community we are in. We have had some local business also donate items, so ends up a win win for everyone.
This does make the expense all worthwhile.

The photos of the show looked great. The cars were excellent - looked like a good showing with some of the older 50's cars, as well as the later models. I moved to AZ from near the Delaware in NJ about 7 years ago - and this show would have been on my radar back then. Wish I could have been there!

Last edited by Dan Wirth; November 16th, 2009 at 08:09 AM.