General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

All Olds show in Alliance - The prettiest one is getting famous!!

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Cutlass Lover

All Olds show in Alliance - The prettiest one is getting famous!!

Check out the pics from the Olds show! Such beauty!! I think some of you were there too, so look for your car! Lots of pics! The best one is # 2850! www.northernohiooldsclub.com then to Shows Photo page on left. 2009 Carnation Mall Show. I'm sure Bluevista will have a shortcut! LOL! I want to get a show board for my car, but I kinda like those home made "billboard" types too. I'm not the only one who likes to "accessorize" their car!

Then would someone pleeeaaassseee answer my thread on my Intrigue question I posted? Thanks guys! xoxo
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Registered

You can't tell how hot it was in those pics.

http://www.northernohiooldsclub.com/.../IMG_2850.html

That trunk leak problem is intriguing.
You have to get in the trunk with a flashlight then close it and have somebody squirt it with a hose.

I can only think that it would be the spoiler mount seals or the tail light gaskets if they're on the trunk lid.

Last edited by Bluevista; October 13th, 2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Cutlass Lover

LOL!! I should have known! You crack me up! Well thanks for your input. It has to be the spoiler cause the tail lights are straight down in the back. I guess that was my question - are there seals around that spoiler? I'll have Defer take a look at it tomorrow night if they have time. For what that Air Intake Pump is costing me,(I could have a lot of Cutlass parts) they should make time! But, they are out in Streetstucky!! No trucks or old men on bikes, though!
No you can't tell how hot it was there in Alliance by the pictures, but I'd sure like to have some of that right now! I hate the cold! Thanks for putting that picture on - did you look at all of them? God they are pretty cars!! I was surprised when I found them. I didn't see any pictures of me anywhere this time, thank God!
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:42 PM
is Fast Enough ...

That's a lot of Olds...

I grew up in lorain, I should make the next meet ...
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Wow, that is a lot of Oldsmobiles. Must be a fairly active club, do you have any idea how many members they have?

Thanks for the link to the pictures.
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:21 PM

CHEVELLE stripes?!?!?!?!?? AWWW c'mon.................

Old October 13th, 2009, 07:19 PM

Looks like a great show. I am glad you and I got to enjoy atleast one good show before the weather set's in. It's getting colder here.
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Check out the pics from the Olds show! Such beauty!! I think some of you were there too, so look for your car! Lots of pics! The best one is # 2850! www.northernohiooldsclub.com then to Shows Photo page on left. 2009 Carnation Mall Show. I'm sure Bluevista will have a shortcut! LOL! I want to get a show board for my car, but I kinda like those home made "billboard" types too. I'm not the only one who likes to "accessorize" their car!

Then would someone pleeeaaassseee answer my thread on my Intrigue question I posted? Thanks guys! xoxo
Incredible selection of Oldsmobiles!! They all look just great; something for everyone.

I was really impressed with the swap meet tables. How were the prices? Lately a lot of guys are putting top $ on things that are (hate to say it, but - well crap) in rough shape and not worth much.

I also am in the process of making a billboard for my car. Don't know who does it locally, but I'll get ahold of Ken and see if anyone in his group does this. Otherwise, it's off to a sign shop.

What's this I hear that you have an intriguing question? Gotta go look for that.
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

LOL!! I should have known! You crack me up! Well thanks for your input. It has to be the spoiler cause the tail lights are straight down in the back. I guess that was my question - are there seals around that spoiler? I'll have Defer take a look at it tomorrow night if they have time. For what that Air Intake Pump is costing me,(I could have a lot of Cutlass parts) they should make time! But, they are out in Streetstucky!! No trucks or old men on bikes, though!
No you can't tell how hot it was there in Alliance by the pictures, but I'd sure like to have some of that right now! I hate the cold! Thanks for putting that picture on - did you look at all of them? God they are pretty cars!! I was surprised when I found them. I didn't see any pictures of me anywhere this time, thank God!
Uh, cutlassgal
Is this the question about the Intrigue?
If you have water coming through the rear deck by the spoiler, yes you miight have a problem seal on the spoiler. Most of the rear spoilers I've seen have 2 studs that go through the deck lid on each pedestal and are fastened inside with 10mm lock nuts. The thing that GM did to try and eliminate leaks on the spoiler mounts? They used 2 sided trim tape in place of a plastic or rubber gasket. You could probably solve this water leak easily by taking off the inside lock nuts. Squeeze some windshield sealant up tight to the deck lid by the studs that you can see, then put the nuts back on after about 1/2 hour and snug them down. The reason I suggest windshield sealant is that it will actually cure better when it comes into contact with moisture.

The only other way that I know to repair a leaking spoiler wing is to carefully cut the two sided tape and gently remove it. Then clean both the bottom of the spoiler pedestals and the deck lid. Put new trim quality 2 sided adhesive on the bottom of the pedestals, trim for fit, remove backing tape and firmly seat the spoiler in place. Snug down with the lock nuts and presto. It should be ok.

Here's one that I took off a car in the wrecker to put on my wife's car. Hope it helps. This is not an Intrigue wing; it's for a Saturn. But the principles are the same. (not bad for 25.00)

IMG_1125.jpg?t=1255492829IMG_1126.jpg?t=1255492988

IMG_1127.jpg?t=1255492869

Sorry, the pic is a little blurry, but you can see the studs and the 2 sided tape adhesive that I had to cut through. You can see that one of the studs is pretty close to the edge of the adhesive. Try lifting gently on the wing to see if there's a gap that shows anywhere. There shouldn't be any at all. Careful with the spoiler, it's lightweight fibreglass.

Hopefully this will help you solve your trunk leak? Good luck

BTW if your water leak is not the spoiler, it could be a bad rear window seal. That's what happened to my car. It was like having a tap going on a heavy drip into the trunk. Water will always find a way through the tiniest opening where you least expect it. Blue Vista is right about getting someone to spray from outside, but the water may run to a different location before it starts to drip....and you have to trace it back to it's source. I would suggest spraying just the trunk first. Then move up the car on one side and spray the rear window seals. It will probably only take about a minute or two to see the water starting to drip.
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:38 AM

OMG!!!!!!!

I found either my old car or an absolute dead ringer for it! Check out IMG 2928! Anybody know the guy?
What I wouldn't give to own it again!!! HOOOOO!!!!!
That was the 1st car I bought new & what got me hung up on Olds!

Ralph
Old October 14th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by mugzilla
That's a lot of Olds...

I grew up in lorain, I should make the next meet ...
Hey Mugz, I'm in Amherst. Look me up next time you're up this way!
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Cutlass Lover

Thanks Allan R! I will try the windshield sealer and see if it works - when I get time!! It was a great show - they did have quite a few tables at the swap meet - I didn't think the prices were real bad, but then again my purchases were the A/C Valance and the HAT!! LOL! There were a lot of cars. I don't know how many members the chapter has, but I think I'm going to join.

As for the "beautiful" Chevelle stripes - I don't know anything about them! They were on her when I got her!! I think they are privledged to be on an OLDS instead of a CHEBBY!!! LOL!!
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Captain of my ship

I wonder if that may be the problem winning trophies? Some judges may be a little sticky on originality.
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Cutlass Lover

I suppose that's a possibility! I have seen them on other cars too, though. Another reason it would be nice to talk to the guy that had her before me. I'm going to have to get that posse out there in Texas looking for him!
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Registered

Allan R. has to be your hero now Sandy.
Great pics and explanation Allan.

That show was pretty big, the swap prices were real good, sorry I didn't need anything.
This is serious Olds country around here, always a lot of them at the cruises and shows and plenty of the members here are Buckeyes.

Those stripes really don't make that much difference at shows around here, maybe at that one a little because they're Olds guys but she's nice enough to compensate, (the car that is), you're nice too Sandy.
I can tell it's a Cutlass and really not pretending to be a Chebelle just fine?
A lot more people than normal looked at "T.P.O." at the show we were at, most Cutlassesses are 442's now and it's different.

You really have to paint and detail the engine and get rid of those red heater hoses Sandy.
Do you have lots of tools to strip down that engine for paint and know how to use them?
Lefty-loosey/righty-tighty and all that?

I have a feeling I'm going to be hands-on involved with this somehow before all is said and done here.

You need to contact Hedley Lamarr and have him get a sherriff and posse together to track down that varmint out there in the lone star state.

Last edited by Bluevista; October 14th, 2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Cutlass Lover

[quote=Bluevista;115585]

You really have to paint and detail the engine and get rid of those red heater hoses Sandy.
Do you have lots of tools to strip down that engine for paint and know how to use them?
Lefty-loosey/righty-tighty and all that?

I have a feeling I'm going to be hands-on involved with this somehow before all is said and done here.

Well, Yeah!! Thanks for volunteering!!! I don't have lots of tools,- some - but I do know how to use them, and can ratchet with the best!! Not afraid of dirt and grease under the fingernails either!! And I pay! LOL!! I also don't know the first thing about painting an engine but I learn quick!! But I can buy black hoses and engine paint, and you can take it from there! Now I crawl into the engine compartment and clean with a toothbrush, and detail the best I can. Oh, she would look sooooo beautiful with a painted engine!!! and her new parts.... A trophy is waiting for us next summer!!

Thanks for the kind words - her stripes appreciate it!! We thought you were pretty nice too!! Sorry, again I forgot... that was Redgoat!!
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:21 PM

My 80 was this color with SSIII rims and sport mirrors. Man I had fun with that car.
I sold it and wish I didn't have to.

Old October 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Cutlass Lover

Sad face! I'm sorry.
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:24 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Sad face! I'm sorry.
look for original hose clamps and the correct heater hoses ...

Vacuum line have unique ribbing so be careful with them ...
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Captain of my ship

Sad face! I'm sorry.
From what I have seen of your Olds so far you got nothing to be sorry for.Fusicks sells a lot of original quality products and are good people to deal with. As far as getting the motor cleaned up and painted it will take some work but I did mine myself last winter without taking out the motor. I did however take most of the stuff off the motor that I could. Enjoy your car when you can and do work on it when the weather doesn't allow you to drive it. of course when money allows for it too
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Cutlass Lover

Thanks for the kind words... again! I am going to be ordering some stuff from Fusicks. I hear they have the dated spark plug wires. I want to get a set. She is going to look soooo beautiful with a nice painted motor! I can't wait!
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Captain of my ship

COOL

So are you planning on restoring it to original , just new and painted? Have you found someone to strip and paint the motor this winter or are you going hands on? Mine I did not do 100% original but it's not going to be a show car , I just want it to look good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
023.jpg (95.4 KB, 5 views)
024.jpg (90.1 KB, 8 views)
026.jpg (82.2 KB, 13 views)
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by German442
OMG!!!!!!!

I found either my old car or an absolute dead ringer for it! Check out IMG 2928! Anybody know the guy?
What I wouldn't give to own it again!!! HOOOOO!!!!!
That was the 1st car I bought new & what got me hung up on Olds!

Ralph
1 more try! That's the burgundy red '65 442 holiday coupe! Anyone know who it is?

Ralph
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Cutlass Lover

Very beautiful pics!! I'm going to post some new pics as soon as I get time this morning!! Well, our buddy Bluevista kinda sorta "volunteered" to paint the engine for me!! Isn't that just so nice??? We have to wait for spring though. It was 35 degrees here this morning - heavy frost - I don't have anywhere heated I could take her, so we'll wait for warm weather again. It will seem like forever for it to get here! LOL! It already does... I hate the cold!
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Captain of my ship

yep winter sucks when you have a nice car to drive and go to events. I have a nice heated 3 car garage I can keep mine in so I am fortunate that way. the garage even has in floor heating which helps when you spend lots of time underneath it I plan on working on the interior this winter. i will be replacing the window seals , door seals , convertible top seals then taking out the door panels and rear panels and having them redone. The trunk will be repainted and the i am going to put in carpet. if I have time I will refinish the frame and floor from the underside. lots of work since i will be working alone and sometime over the winter I am supposed to have 3 vertabrae fused in my neck god I hope that won't slow me down too much.
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oooohhh that sounds painful!! You better take it easy! Sounds like you have your winter planned! A heated garage sure sounds nice! At least we have sunshine today!! Sun? What is sun? Something we haven't seen around here for the past 2 weeks!!! It's a lovely thing! Supposed to have 50's and 60's this week! It will seem like a heat wave after last week!! Heck, that's what we had over the summer! LOL!!
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Registered

Talking The Concours d'Prettiest One

Very beautiful pics!! I'm going to post some new pics as soon as I get time this morning!! Well, our buddy Bluevista kinda sorta "volunteered" to paint the engine for me!! Isn't that just so nice??? We have to wait for spring though. It was 35 degrees here this morning - heavy frost - I don't have anywhere heated I could take her, so we'll wait for warm weather again. It will seem like forever for it to get here! LOL! It already does... I hate the cold!
I didn't take a step forward when asked, everybody else took a step back.
Don't worry Sandy I'm a man of my word, I volunteered...maybe.

Hey fellow northeast Ohio Buckeyes or anybody who wants to travel. The engine painting party is at Sandy's house in the spring, plenty of free beer and food.
I'm arranging group rates at the local hotels and radio spots in selected national markets to begin with so people can plan ahead.

Just be careful with suggestions on here you guys or the body bushings will be on order next, I'm only one person.
If a little (car) knowledge is a dangerous thing Sandy's like a weapon of mass destruction.
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I didn't take a step forward when asked, everybody else took a step back.
Don't worry Sandy I'm a man of my word, I volunteered...maybe.

Have I ever told you you're such a sh**??? LOL! No maybe - I'm toooo excited now!!

Hey fellow northeast Ohio Buckeyes or anybody who wants to travel. The engine painting party is at Sandy's house in the spring, plenty of free beer and food.
I'm arranging group rates at the local hotels and radio spots in selected national markets to begin with so people can plan ahead.

Oh Lord! Not that I wouldn't love to have you, but Larry might complain! I may be able to hide you in the upstairs of the garage!! Got sleeping bags??? Hmmm.. what's that noise up there?

Just be careful with suggestions on here you guys or the body bushings will be on order next, I'm only one person.

Yeah guys - don't scare him off!! LOL!

If a little (car) knowledge is a dangerous thing Sandy's like a weapon of mass destruction.
You ain't seen nothin yet!!
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Captain of my ship

same here

today was wet and windy but the rest of the week should be sunny and temps are going up to 15 on the weekend. That is celcius of course farenheit that would be around 60 so that would be top down weather for me. I come from that hearty norweigan stock
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Cutlass Lover

I like 60's but 80's are my favorite.... no humidity, lots of sun... works for me!! Today got up to 56! Heatwave! The sun felt nice! I went out at lunch and walked awhile, and then sat down and read a while. It was pretty breezy though. When we were out yesterday afternoon taking those pics I posted today, the sun had only been out about an hour, and it was breezy and only in the 40's. Our hands kept getting cold when we were out taking pictures! The prettiest one does have a helluva heater in her! It felt good to get back inside!! I'm a freeze baby!!
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Captain of my ship

Thumbs up SUN

having the sun this time of year makes a huge difference in temperatures. today is sunny but cool around 55 F Sunday is supposed to be close to 20C which is about 72F . that is a heatwave this time of year
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Cutlass Lover

Hey there Wolfman! It's nice here today as well. There were a lot of stars this morning early, when I took my daughter to school 6:30 ish. It was 47 degrees. The air smells like leaves - nice!! We have some sun out now- going up in the 60's they say. Tomorrow is supposed to be our nice day this week - sun and around 70!! Works for me! LOL! Did you check out the pics I posted on the Clubhouse??
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Captain of my ship

No I did not yet but I will. It will take a while for the nice weather to get here as I am quite a bit east of you. I am close to the Bay of Fundy where I was on this past summer taking pics of whales that come here to fatten up. here is just a few pics from that expedition.
Attached Images
whale tails 1.jpg (39.2 KB, 8 views)
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Cutlass Lover

Wow!! Those are so cool! It would be neat to see something like that in person!! The closest I've been to a whale was at SeaWorld many moons ago before they closed it down. I like the dolphins too. I like tropical fish too. I've had many fish tanks through the years, the last was a 75 gallon, but it just got to be too much work - cleaning every couple weeks, etc... When I got new carpet in the house in 2008 I took the tank down and sold it. Gave the fish to a pet store. I had some beautiful big Bala sharks in there. I raised Angelfish for a few years. She would lay her eggs on a piece of slate I had in the tank, and I would take it and put it in a very small tank and keep it warm and watch for fungus and such, then when the eggs hatched into little wigglers I'd move them into another tank, and so on, as they grew. I eventually would sell them to a fish store when they got big enough.
I really enjoyed it, but it got to be a lot of tank cleaning and such, and became like a "job" instead of just something to enjoy, ya know?
I love watching the fish - very relaxing!!
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Captain of my ship

I was out by the bay today as well as a couple other spots. I do enjoy the whale watching though when they are 3 times the size of the boat you are in it makes you feel real small. They are awe inspiring especially when they breech.
Attached Images
018.jpg (58.0 KB, 5 views)
017.jpg (150.7 KB, 3 views)
012.jpg (83.6 KB, 7 views)
020.jpg (68.0 KB, 7 views)
038.jpg (84.6 KB, 3 views)
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Cutlass Lover

Very nice pictures!! Looks like you all have a lot of color also. Your car is very pretty!! The yellow really looks nice against the background! I like those waterfalls in that one picture. I don't think you'd catch me out in a boat where there are whales! LOL!! I don't go in the water very often - I can't swim! I like to go in a pool and splash around some when it's hot, but I stay in the shallow end!! If i go to a beach, I'll go in the water and get wet, but then it's on to the towel and soakin up the rays!! I'm a sun bum!!
Old October 21st, 2009, 04:48 AM
Captain of my ship

water

When I was up there the tide was in and if the tide was out you can walk over to the waterfalls. you would not see the water at all in that pic. The one with the horse is on top of the hill that is above my house. The first road you see past the horse is the road I live on but you can't see my house. This pic shows what it looks like around my house , still pretty green.
Attached Images
005.jpg (87.6 KB, 6 views)
004.jpg (78.9 KB, 6 views)
Old October 21st, 2009, 04:58 AM
Cutlass Lover

Pretty much all around our area here is color now - they say we're at the peak. One of the guys I work with took off this week and is in the New England states. I bet he's seeing some pretty color there! Looks like your trees are trying to change!
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:07 AM
Captain of my ship

yep it just depends on the variety of tree. The maple are changing but the poplar (aspen) are not yet and the oak are always the last it seems.Most of the birch are yellow now , maybe we can suspend the event for a while with some warm weather.
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:32 AM
Cutlass Lover

That would be nice!! It's nice here this morning. Sun/clouds but going up to 72 they say! I'll take it! Not supposed to last though. Going to get colder again and rainy Friday - my birthday is on Sunday, and it's supposed to be ugly! I hate it... depressing! So I will just enjoy today!!

Quick Reply: All Olds show in Alliance - The prettiest one is getting famous!!