General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Alignment Specs for Radials

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2011, 06:12 PM

Alignment Specs for Radials

I will be rebuilding the front end on my 63 Starfire and replacing all springs and shocks so will definitely need an alignment. I have the original bias ply specs in the shop manual, but I assume they should be different for radial tires? Has anyone gone through this with the big cars, can anyone advise specs that work well?
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:03 PM

In all my born days, I've never heard of a second set of alignment specs for radial tires for cars that were built before radial tires came into common use. Your car was built about a decade before radials were found widely on cars. I doubt a second set of specs was ever created, and that's assuming a second set was ever needed.

I had a '64 Jetstar 88 back in the 1990s, and I put a set of radials on it. I just had it aligned by the local shop, and I presume they just used whatever was in their manual at the time. I never asked if the alignment was different for radials on this car. It never occurred to me to do so. I kept the car for five years after that, put about 15,000 miles on it in that time, and never had a problem.

I wouldn't worry about this. Get the car aligned by a reputable shop, and I doubt you would ever have a problem.
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:23 PM

As another point of reference on this, I just now looked through the '73 Olds Chassis service manual. There is a lot of discussion of alignment and proper procedures and several charts, but there is not a single mention of alignment settings depending on what kind of tire is on the car.

By 1973, radials were becoming more common on cars, but bias-ply tires were still widely used as well. You would think that if the alignment settings ever differed depending on the type tire, a service manual from this era would mention it.

The manual does talk about the need to make sure the car is loaded properly when aligned. It gives as an example a situation where a heavy toolbox is normally carried in the car. "If this is the case, it should remain in the car during alignment process."