General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Airtex mechanical fuel pump part number 40704

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2014, 04:35 PM

Airtex mechanical fuel pump part number 40704

I've had my '67 since 1995 or so, and my dad has had his since '67, so we're both reasonably well-versed in which fuel pumps they require. I recently found little droplets of gas under the car and traced them to the weep hole in the 10-year-old pump that's on the car.

I looked up and ordered a new pump on Amazon, and (just due to impatience), also ran over to Autozone and picked one up. Both places carried the Airtex 40704 pump (as did O'Reilly, which I checked the next day).

When I got home and went to bolt it up, I noticed that the Airtex pump has a female 1/4" NPT fitting for the outlet side, and it's parallel to the ground. The pump that was on my 330, however (and the one before that, and the one before that) use a 5/8" inverted flare fitting that faces up at about a 45* angle. I probably could have made it work, using a nipple and some flex hose, but I'd prefer to have it correct, so I went looking.

Summit listed the Carter M6108 pump as correct, and the fitting looked like the one that came off my car. I ordered one of those from Amazon (same price), and when it arrived, it matched the fuel pump that was on the car, allowing me to use the original steel line.

I installed it last weekend, and it worked as intended. Beware of parts stores trying to sell you the Airtex 40704 if your car uses 3/8" tube with an inverted flare fitting (like brake line). Summit, Amazon, and others carry the Carter M6108 with the tube fitting.

Oddly enough, Airtex does make a pump with the correct fitting at the correct angle, but it also includes a vent line. I didn't want a capped-off vent line on mine, so I went with the Carter.
Old February 24th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

good info