General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

After a long winter...

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:02 PM
Crazy Canuck

After a long winter...

Well I finally was able to take the Olds out of the garage today. Sure it was just to sit in the driveway but it was fun. We still have snow and are expecting a little tonight. I can't wait for some milder temps and some heavy rains to wash the salt and sand of the streets.

The Blue Jays started playing this weekend so I know cruising time is just around the corner!!

Cheers,

Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Spring 442.jpg (54.1 KB, 33 views)
Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldsca
Well I finally was able to take the Olds out of the garage today. Sure it was just to sit in the driveway but it was fun. We still have snow and are expecting a little tonight. I can't wait for some milder temps and some heavy rains to wash the salt and sand of the streets. The Blue Jays started playing this weekend so I know cruising time is just around the corner!! Cheers, Wayne
Snow?? WTH, where???? We still got over 3 feet of the stinkin stuff in the front and back yard!! You'll be putting the rubber to the road waaaay before I do.

BTW, whasssupp with that tattered CDN flag?? I have a flag too and the winter wasn't kind to it. Time for a replacement my man!
Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:56 PM

I fired mine up yesterday. Started surprisingly quick after the extended dormancy. Tempting to full on drive it but then I would just have to back it in again and I'm not ready to make the seasonal garage to shed equipment swap yet. Come on springtime!
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:18 PM
Crazy Canuck

You are only seeing my front yard - the backyard isn't so nice. As for the flag, it must be the picture. My neighbour is pretty meticulous about it.

Allan it is supposed to be around 8C all week so I will send the west for you to get rid of that white stuff!
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:24 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Car looks great! Those g-bodies with the euro front end are hot!

May cruising season be with you soon.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:27 PM

I got my 64 olds 88 started Saturday. It took only three attempts and started fine. I let it idle for 15 min and then shut her down. I checked for leaks and all seemed fine. I poured some mystery oil into the crankcase and started it again. I let it run for a half hour and just had to give it a drive up and down the driveway and I am glad I did.
On my ride back up the driveway I hit the brakes and lost the brakes!!!! I stopped just before plowing thru the garage door!!. I checked the break fluid an it was low but not dry, I took a tour around the car and found a puddle behind the rear tire. Yup you guessed it a blown line. I haven't completed the investigation but I see a big bill. The brakes have to be 10 years old. Can't be to upset...still snow and salt everywhere.
Spring will come ....I hope
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:15 PM

We are supposed to more of that white S^!T too. We still have close to 2' of it. She is going to very wet her in the next 2 weeks. Hell or high water, well it's going to be high water
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You are only seeing my front yard - the backyard isn't so nice. As for the flag, it must be the picture. My neighbour is pretty meticulous about it. Allan it is supposed to be around 8C all week so I will send the west for you to get rid of that white stuff!
Heck, we still have 3 1/2 foot (wide & tall) windrows on the front street where the grader left em. You are too kind, sending us all that warm weather. If all goes right, we're supposed to be into the double digits by Thurs or Fri. I figure we should be out of the snow belt by April 20th or so. What a loooooong and dreary winter this one has been. I don't think anyone got off scot free.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 10:52 PM

Mine won't be out until June. Now starts the engine bay cleaning...

DSC_6581.jpg

DSC_6582.jpg

DSC_6607.jpg
Old April 4th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ken!!!
Tell me you did that yourself and I'll be impressed all to heck! Did you send it to the guy we were talking about? You're going to be going nuts not having it to drive for the next little while. You changing any of the specs on the 455 or just freshening it to factory?
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Crazy Canuck

WOW Ken not used to seeing your car like that. You have got to tell us what your plans are.
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Ken!!!
Tell me you did that yourself and I'll be impressed all to heck! Did you send it to the guy we were talking about? You're going to be going nuts not having it to drive for the next little while. You changing any of the specs on the 455 or just freshening it to factory?
No, I had a friend over and together we took it out. I borrowed the lift from a club member. The engine is going to be inspected by the guy I told you about. He works for Canada Post during the day, and does this at night in his dad's garage. The garage has a furnace and lathes and a host of other equipment. I am waiting to hear on the condition of the engine.

WOW Ken not used to seeing your car like that. You have got to tell us what your plans are.
The engine will be built W30 and then some, not race or anything like that. I bought a new water pump, fuel pump, the engine will be cleaned and painted, the carb is being rebuilt for the fist time in 35 years and the distributor will be recurved rather than getting an after market one. He's looking at a Thumpr cam. Here are the specs for that:

HYDRAULIC − ThumprHigh performance street, stock converter ok,
best with 2000+ converter and gears . Choppy/thumping idle .
Hyd . Hyd . 2000 to 5800 42-600-5 279TH7 278 296 226 241 .491 .476 107°

I'll have to make sure that the idle is not too choppy. He'll check the heads and valves. The rear main seal was leaking so a neoprene seal will go in its place. New hoses, filters, grommets and new engine bay paint will top it off. The car usually doesn't come out until mid-May so waiting two weeks more is not a big deal. The engine will look completely stock to the non Olds eye. Estimating 435-450 HP and torque over 500 ft. lbs.
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yep, I'm betting you're gonna have to gas up at Leduc and Red Deer just for the drive down in July!! I'll be starting on my 455 probably in June. Won't be ready or in the car this year though. When done, I'll also have my 3:42's in. Be kind of cool to see which car is quicker......naw, what the heck am I saying. The 72 will be faster. 76 will need that 435 just to keep up with my dust
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Yep, I'm betting you're gonna have to gas up at Leduc and Red Deer just for the drive down in July!! I'll be starting on my 455 probably in June. Won't be ready or in the car this year though. When done, I'll also have my 3:42's in. Be kind of cool to see which car is quicker......naw, what the heck am I saying. The 72 will be faster. 76 will need that 435 just to keep up with my dust
I did have a race with a 71 W30 4 spd on the way back from Olds one year. It was a rolling start starting at about 30 mph if I remember correctly. I beat him! We did it again with the same results . And now the engine will be ....refreshed. I'm not building a racing engine. I was asked if I wanted aluminum heads, a new carb, torker manifold, MSD ignition, headers...and I said no, I want it to at least look original, not that a 76 455 originally looked like this

DSC_5910.jpg

but if you don't know Oldsmobiles, you won't know the difference.