General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

adding a Tach

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2012, 04:30 PM

adding a Tach

just want to know if it's hard to add an after market tack? Francine already has the volts, temp, & oil pressure gauges but i gotta replace them, and tho's don't look that hard to do.
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:33 PM

i guess i'm also asking how they work. do you have to hook it up to the transmission in any way or what, u know what i mean?
Old January 11th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by WolfmanG
i guess i'm also asking how they work. do you have to hook it up to the transmission in any way or what, u know what i mean?
No, you don't hook it up to the transmission. Tach needs a power source, ground and the pulse off the distributor to give you rpms.
The temp and [oil pressure] gauges works by converting temp and pressure in the sender dashpots on the block to an electrical signal and sending that signal back to the gauge where it causes your indicator needle to move.
Old January 11th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Olds Dreamer

Your red engine has hei. if thats the engine u have in ur car ur hei cap will say tack next to where u plugged in the positve wire. then the tack will need positive and negative. (and some have an extra wire for the gauge lights)
Old January 11th, 2012, 07:50 PM

thanx guys i really appreciate it. i saw a vid on how to install one. looks REALLY easy. and thanx about the advice on the distributor.
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:41 PM

As mentioned, most tachs now are electric. Got a small one years ago from J.C. Whitney I was able to drill a hole right into the dash of my car. My car has MSD 6AL ignition, so needed one of their tach adapter modules. For the three gauge pod, got a small Auto Meter electric unit from Summit racing, in a black plastic bracket, with black bezel gauges. Should be perfect for you. Actually had a paint supplier mix me up some satin red paint for the bracket to match the interior, and about good as it gets.