General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

AC for a non AC car

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2016, 09:33 AM

AC for a non AC car

I've been thinking more about AC for my Omega . Is there an after market system that will work. I don't have any of the ducts or anything to go original. The odds of finding a Donner car are slim to none and getting worse every day. I don't care about looking original but don't mind if it dose .
Railguy
Old June 26th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Railguy
I've been thinking more about AC for my Omega . Is there an after market system that will work. I don't have any of the ducts or anything to go original. The odds of finding a Donner car are slim to none and getting worse every day. I don't care about looking original but don't mind if it dose .
Railguy
Comparable year Nova A/C systems fit. Aftermarket is probably easier to avoid changing the dash. You'll need the correct Olds engine brackets, however.
Old June 26th, 2016, 07:11 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Try Vintage Air or Old Air Products for add on air.
Old June 26th, 2016, 11:16 PM

classic auto air is another alternative
Old June 27th, 2016, 05:52 AM

Huge fan of Vintage Air here. I installed a universal kit in my non-Olds. Would never hesitate to do another one in ANY car.
Old June 29th, 2016, 06:11 AM

I have VintageAir in my 56... Yesterday in SoCal it was over 90deg as I cruised through traffic on the 134 with my windows up
Old July 17th, 2016, 08:53 AM

I checked on vintage air. They're perfect fit system for a nova only goes to 72. So im pretty sure with my 74 omega it would be to much extra work to make it fit to warnt the perfect fit price. So I think I'm going with the under dash unit. I'm going to need a bracket to move the altanator to the driver side and I was thinking of using a factory olds ac pump so I could use factory olds bracket. Now I need to know which years will fit my 74 omega as the pulley will need to line up with the ones that are there now. I also need to know if the older pumps and stuff will work with the newer type refrigerate. I know where there used to be a 76 or 78 omega probably has 305 not even sure if has ac . Would it be worth getting the condenser and other parts or do they deteriorate over time.
Railguy
Old July 17th, 2016, 09:02 AM

I recently bought an a/c kit from Southern Rods Air in Greer, S.C., for my 55 S88. It fit behind the dash with vents through the dash or underneath. I think it would be a pretty universal fit. Unit seems well made and the prices are more reasonable than Vintage or Old Air Products, and I have used both of those in the past.
Old July 17th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

I checked on vintage air. They're perfect fit system for a nova only goes to 72. So im pretty sure with my 74 omega it would be to much extra work to make it fit to warnt the perfect fit price. So I think I'm going with the under dash unit. I'm going to need a bracket to move the altanator to the driver side and I was thinking of using a factory olds ac pump so I could use factory olds bracket. Now I need to know which years will fit my 74 omega as the pulley will need to line up with the ones that are there now. I also need to know if the older pumps and stuff will work with the newer type refrigerate. I know where there used to be a 76 or 78 omega probably has 305 not even sure if has ac . Would it be worth getting the condenser and other parts or do they deteriorate over time.
Railguy
I think this is just a catalog error. The 68-74 X-body cars are all pretty much the same, though apparently there was something different between 68 and 69. Classic Auto Air offers a perfect fit kit for 69-74 Novas.

Note that you'll need the complete water pump, accessory brackets, and pulleys as a matched set from an A/C Olds. You can get modern Sanden-style compressors in a housing that is similar to the A6 and bolts to the original brackets.
Old July 17th, 2016, 11:17 AM

I also need to know if the older pumps and stuff will work with the newer type refrigerate.
Yes, they will work but need a slight adjustment to either the POA valve or the low pressure cycling switch (depending upon the type system you choose) to achieve comparable vent temperatures as R12. There's lots of information about that both here and on the web.
Old July 17th, 2016, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I think this is just a catalog error. The 68-74 X-body cars are all pretty much the same, though apparently there was something different between 68 and 69. Classic Auto Air offers a perfect fit kit for 69-74 Novas.

Note that you'll need the complete water pump, accessory brackets, and pulleys as a matched set from an A/C Olds. You can get modern Sanden-style compressors in a housing that is similar to the A6 and bolts to the original brackets.
The 73 74 nova is different from the 68 72 and the omega is different from the nova it takes a different heater core. Because the engine is so much bigger . The valve cover just clears it. I have aluminum valve covers and had to bend one of the tubes on the core. Plus I would probably have to get an ac dash pad which is over $200 . Add on the kit price of $1500 pluse the brackets water pump belts another $250? Pluse to charge the system $100- 150? Plus unforseen problems. $?
I'm thinking if that omega is still there and if it has ac I can get all the brackets off of it ,the compressor, the condenser plus anything else i see i might need for probably $100. I won't use the compressor but use it for reference on a new one.
Railguy
Old July 17th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

The 73 74 nova is different from the 68 72 and the omega is different from the nova it takes a different heater core. Because the engine is so much bigger . The valve cover just clears it. I have aluminum valve covers and had to bend one of the tubes on the core. Plus I would probably have to get an ac dash pad which is over $200 . Add on the kit price of $1500 pluse the brackets water pump belts another $250? Pluse to charge the system $100- 150? Plus unforseen problems. $?
I'm thinking if that omega is still there and if it has ac I can get all the brackets off of it ,the compressor, the condenser plus anything else i see i might need for probably $100. I won't use the compressor but use it for reference on a new one.
Railguy
1969 Novas came from the factory with a BBC. Do you really think your motor is larger than that? The fact that you have aftermarket valve covers that are not the same size as OEM is why you have clearance problems. Every catalog I check shows the same heater core for all 1969-1974 Novas and 73-74 Omegas and 72-74 Venturas etc, etc.

As I pointed out, other vendors sell A/C kits that fit 69-74 Novas. Your money and time, your choice.
Old July 17th, 2016, 02:37 PM

Obviously you never worked on an omega. Check on a pilot bearing for 74 omega or trans mount . Tell me what you find. I bought plenty of parts that were supposed to fit but didn't .
Railguy
Old July 17th, 2016, 04:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

Obviously you never worked on an omega. Check on a pilot bearing for 74 omega or trans mount . Tell me what you find. I bought plenty of parts that were supposed to fit but didn't .
Railguy
Of course the pilot bearing for an Olds motor is different from one for a Chevy. The body shell is the same, just as the firewall, A/C box, and floorpans for a Chevelle and Cutlass are the same.
Old July 17th, 2016, 06:10 PM

Did you look it up? My point is all the parts stores and other sources I've seen will tell you a chevy pilot bearing will fit . They also say it takes an olds trans mount.
http://m.autozone.com/drivetrain/transmission-mount
http://m.autozone.com/transmission-a.../pilot-bearing
Railguy
Old July 18th, 2016, 05:59 AM

Since you will most likely be charging the system with R-134 you will want to use the newer style condenser because it will be much more efficient. The newer parallel flow condensers are quite a bit more efficient at dissipating heat from the system. The only difference between old and new throughout the rest of the system is the seals and hoses, and of course the type of oil in the compressor. You will be much better off using a new compressor and any company that sells you a kit should be able to supply you with the needed brackets. Joe is right that the Omega and Nova are the same as far as installing an A/C system. The core support and firewall are identical and that is all you need if you are not installing a factory in-dash system. Under-dash A/C units work great and are MUCH easier to install though. Look around and get the best kit for your needs and try to get the correct brackets for your engine and use the newer parts and pieces for the rest of the system. It will work better, be 40 years newer, and most of the time be lighter, especially the compressor.
Old July 18th, 2016, 06:20 AM

I put the Southern Rods Air on my '55 about 10 years ago and it cooled the whole car well and never overheated in 90+ degree weather even idling for long period s of time.I still had the original radiator ,.water pump, and no fan shroud.I did have to fab up two brackets, because at that time they didn't make an engine kit for the "324". I ran it over 9 years without a problem. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; July 18th, 2016 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Add
Old July 22nd, 2016, 08:52 AM

Did you guys with after market ac need the three groove pulleys. I was thinking I would have to move the altanator but it seems theres a bracket to put the compressor on the driver side. How are yours set up. Pretty sure I'm going with the under dash model I like the retro look.
Railguy
Old July 23rd, 2016, 08:06 AM

Did you guys with after market ac need the three groove pulleys. I was thinking I would have to move the altanator but it seems theres a bracket to put the compressor on the driver side. How are yours set up. Pretty sure I'm going with the under dash model I like the retro look.
Railguy
I have seen A/C compressors mounted on the driver's side of the engine before, even mounted a few that way, but most of the time the passenger side is better and MUCH more convenient because that is the side where all of your hoses will be routed. Either way will work the same though so which ever way your brackets fit, it wont matter. Most aftermarket kits will let you know if you need three groove pulleys or if two will work. Some kits even come with a pulley that can be mounted inside the factory one to add another groove. When you order your A/C kit speak directly with the company so you can ask them these questions and get them to answer them with definite facts about the kit you are buying.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 08:12 AM

Also, there are definite advantages to the under dash evaporator. They are easier to install because you don't need to take the heater box off the firewall to install it. You don't have to modify your existing heater controls to make it work. And they are much more efficient because the cold air doesn't have to go through the ducts in the dash. You get the cold air right off the coils into the cabin of the vehicle. Just remember to rout the moisture drain to the outside of the vehicle and put the clamp on it so it wont fall off the housing. They can generate a lot of water!
Old July 23rd, 2016, 11:35 AM

Vintage air shows a bracket for either side. Passengers side 3 groove , driver's side 2 groove but one belt runs compressor and power steering pump and there's not much belt in contact with the power steering pump pulley. I get the idea of the compressor being closer to the condenser but why put the altanator there when there when there's no ac? Why not just put the altanator on the driver side regardless? I know I should be puttig these questions to tech at vintage air and others but I have to start somewhere and I w as hoping to get some info from people who have been where I'm at now. Doesn't look like this is going to happen this summer so might as well take my time and do my homework.
Another thing when I was gathering info on installing a clutch and manual trans. Some companies said pedals from 68-72 would fit 73-74 others said no won't work. Both can't be right.
Railguy