General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

AC Cooling Question

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2010, 02:57 PM

AC Cooling Question

Hey, Ive just about finished restoring my 72 cutlass s 442 and one of the last things on my list is to complete my AC system. New AC parts seem quite expensive but so do originals. From what I have heard original AC parts can be unreliable/rusted. Should I go for new parts? Thanks
Old January 30th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Oldsdruid

I'd go for a modern POA valve that will work with R12 or R134a and also incorporates a clutch cycling switch. It looks close enough to an original that it won't stand out much if you're going for original appearance.

Anymore I think a reman A6 compressor is a crapshoot. You might or might not get a good one. It's about as simple to go with a Sanden or other smaller more efficient axial type and I think brackets are made now to adapt them to Olds engines. The downside is they do not look like the originals. I wouldn't even consider using a later R4 compressor and SBO brackets as those were junk when new, much less after a couple rebuilds.

As far as hoses and plumbing, unless the system has been opened and exposed to air for any length of time there should be enough residual compressor oil in them to have prevented any inside corrosion.