General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

93 F150 dash lighting

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Oldsdruid

93 F150 dash lighting

Anyone have experience with or know how to get to the dash cluster bulbs on a 93 F150? The one illuminating the amp and fuel gages on mine has burned out.

It ain't as simple as reaching up behind there and removing it- I've found out that much.
Old February 18th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Anyone have experience with or know how to get to the dash cluster bulbs on a 93 F150? The one illuminating the amp and fuel gages on mine has burned out.

It ain't as simple as reaching up behind there and removing it- I've found out that much.
If it's anything like GM you have to take the cluster out from the front and disconnect a ribbon cable. Remove the pod. Most of the bulbs are accessible from the backside.

I don't know if that will work on your Ford because I'm mostly a GM guy. What does your owners manual say? Can you get a service manual on line for your truck? I'd try asking this on a Ford forum - you'll probably get an expert answer.
Old February 19th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Oldsdruid

Owners manual is no help- all it gives are the bulb numbers. I was hoping someone here might have fooled with one before I go thru joining up on a Ford board, though there is an active F150 forum. I might have to- it would be quicker than getting a manual.

Have y'all gotten the idea that I don't like burned out bulbs? The cluster on the wagon finally aggravated me enough with loose/burned out bulbs that I got a ricer LED strip at WalMart and put that in. The LED white light was jarring at first, but I can always see how fast I'm gong at night now!
Old February 19th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I hate burnt out lights too. Wish I could be more help; hope the F150 forum gives you the info you need. Funny stuff about the wagon!

Just curious, have you been to a boneyard and just tried to take an F series dash out so you don't have to experiment with yours?
Old February 19th, 2012, 04:12 PM

On models with tilt steering position wheel in full down position, if column shift set parking brake and pull shift lever to full down position. Remove left and right molding inserts they pop in and are about a inch or 2 tall and about 4-6 inches long at knee height. Remove headlight ****, use a hook to release **** lock spring its at back of ****. Remove the 2 exposed screws under the 2 moldings just removed. Unlock instrument panel cluster trim by pulling reward. On auto trans models remove string loop from shift indicator form column pin. On all models remove thumbwheel bracket screw . Detach backet from steering column. Remove cluster finish panel . Remove 4 cluster screws. Pull cluster away from panel. Unplug connectors. Replace all bulbs so you dont have to do again in 6 months. To install reverse procedre.
Old February 19th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Oldsdruid

Rallye, you talking about the trim plates between the cluster and the lower dash? This is an XLT if it makes any difference.

Am I right that this speedometer is electrically driven and has no cable?

Somehow I figured this was going to be akin to how the wagon cluster comes out. Just needed to know what to take loose to get the cluster out. Thanks for your knowledge and help Rallye!

Allan, I can't tell you the last time I was able to go junkyarding. It's been at least 7 years- I haven't been since I got moved into my M-F dayshift job in Jan 2005. Seems all the yards (and most garages) here think Saturdays are a day of rest and are closed.
Old February 19th, 2012, 07:45 PM

yes they are small plastic inserts that hide the screws seems the lower knee panel screws are under these also seems it is electronic speedo

Last edited by OLDSRALLYE350; February 19th, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old February 19th, 2012, 07:48 PM

There white in this picture
Old February 19th, 2012, 09:06 PM

http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52973