General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

84 olds rusting out bad and electrical problem driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2011 | 12:12 PM

84 olds rusting out bad and electrical problem driving me nuts

My problem is the car is rusting out pretty badly and I have a electrical problem that is blowing the 20 amp fuse for the gauges, but it won't blow the fuse until I drive it. Have the electrical components are on that circuit. I have the alternator tested, brake light switch replaced, and had the distributor electronics replaced. I also disconnected the cruise control, rear defogger, power seat,seatbelt etc. It sounds like I have shorted wire somewhere and started pulling the some of the dash found a mouse nest next to the computer, but it doesn't look like any wires are chewed. Pulled the back seat and found another mouse nest and both sides of the body are rusted through. I will try to post some pics later on today if I get a chance. Please anybody got any ideas. I just want to get the car drivable for now and hopefully I can stick it in a garage soon before it too far gone or I am beating a dead horse. Help
Old August 24th, 2011 | 04:03 PM

Sounds like a bad wire shorting to ground some where. Those rodents do love the taste of the plastic on the wires. Get a inspection mirror and see if you can find where the trouble is also any pinch points check wire for wear.
Old August 24th, 2011 | 05:11 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by 72 cutlass455
Sounds like a bad wire shorting to ground some where. Those rodents do love the taste of the plastic on the wires. Get a inspection mirror and see if you can find where the trouble is also any pinch points check wire for wear.
maybe thats the key, make all wire insulation out of poison , so when the mice come a chewing , they get dead.