General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

77 Olds Omega 4 door, wasting my time?

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2013, 06:15 PM

77 Olds Omega 4 door, wasting my time?

I recently posted a few pictures of a 1977 Oldsmobile Omega with 19,000 orignal miles on it in the newbe forum. My short term intent is to get this car in decent running condition for my 16 year old daughter, and if it survives her, then I would like to restore it at a later date. The car has not run since 1989, but has been in a garage the entire time. The motor is not siezed up, and initial assessment looks fairly good (No rust anywhere, just extremely dirty.

Question is, I have a budget of about $3500.00 to get it in good running condition. Is it reasonable to think that is enough $$ or am I wasting my time?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Greg
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:22 PM
car guy

Doing the work yourself not a problem.

Paying a pro to do all the work might go over budget.
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:24 PM

Sorry, not an attractive car in my opinion. If it were my daughter I'd take the $3500 and buy something newer that gets better fuel mileage and has the newer safety features.
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:21 PM
major noob

If you do it yourself and get help from these knowledgeable people on this site no problem I'm 16 and building my omega just 55 more dollars and I've practically have a car minus breaks and radiator
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

$3,500? You could buy two whole Ωmegas for that.

What could you possibly need to do, provided it doesn't have any major flaws, like a blown engine or transmission?

Cooling system flush, antifreeze, oil, oil filter, rear end oil, carb cleanout / rebuild (rebuild kit, float), fuel filter, air cleaner, cap, rotor, spark plug wires, spark plugs, belts, hoses, tires, probably a master cylinder and wheel cylinders.

Maybe fuel lines and brake lines, maybe drop the gas tank, maybe find a radiator leak.

I'm thinking $500, not including tires, $1,000 absolute max, with the tires another $500 or so.

Save the rest of the money for booze for you and your wife for when your daughter stays out late and doesn't call.

- Eric
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Is your daughter on board with it? I know it shouldn't matter but it does. $3500 should be enough to get it running and safe if you can do the work yourself.
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:38 PM
major noob

I think Eric pretty much covered it but he forgot fuzzy dice what's a car like that without fuzzy dice
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:39 PM

Do it and have her help you work on it. Don't worry about how good it turns out, her working on it will allow her to appreciate things she might not have thought about before. It won't be a waste of time if it helps her later.
I started restoring my 72 with my dad when I was 15 and I'm 18 now. It helped me learn how to set reasonable goals within a budget and got me serious about engineering. Not to mention, it makes you start thinking about how aspects of design affect our society. It was probably the best damn thing he could have ever done for me.
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by billmerbach
I think Eric pretty much covered it but he forgot fuzzy dice what's a car like that without fuzzy dice
... or a pine tree air freshener.

"Every car's got one..."

- Eric
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:42 PM
major noob

Touché
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yes, but, for bonus points, do you know which movie that's a quote from?

- Eric
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:53 PM
major noob

Idk its French so I wanna say three musketeers but on a cartoon level Tom and Jerry..."Touché mister ***** cat." :P
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Not the "Touché," which is a fencing expression which means, "You touched me," or "You scored one," but "Every car's got one..."

- Eric
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:58 PM
major noob

Oh my bad but i think I've heard it before but I'm not to sure
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Any other guesses before I break the suspense???

- Eric
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:04 PM
major noob

Lemme have it lol
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It's from the fim "Repo Man" starring Emilio Estevez, from 1984, one of the greatest car films of all time (in some ways, anyway).

Every vehicle in the movie has a pine tree air freshener, including the LAPD motorcycle, and at one point, the character who works at the repo yard clearing junk out of the repo'ed cars, who, if I recall, wears them around his neck, says "Every car's got one..." as he finds another one.

It's worth seeing, especially for a young person, and especially now that nobody has to waste their time with tapes or DVDs anymore.

- Eric
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:13 PM
major noob

I've actually heard/seen some of that movie to be honest with you
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That explains why you drive that car, then.

- Eric
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:17 PM
major noob

Lol probably
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:23 PM

Hell, I think Maximum Overdrive is one of Esteves's best car movies.

Jed, glad you like engineering. Engineering school will kick your butt. Let me know if you need advice on how to live through it.

As for the Omega, it's going to be her car, of course it matters if she wants it. Way too many people assume that the favors they do people are going to be automatically loved. Some people might hate that car so much that they'd rather earn enough to buy their own than drive it. But, yes, get her involved NOW. Like, this minute. Like "honey, here is this car, and I'd like you to have it. Here's our budget, and now let's talk about getting it running." It will be the heap she and her dad fixed up to her forevermore after that, and she won't keep it forever, and it won't be worth crap, but she'll value it.
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:29 PM
major noob

Yea and if your budget allows get a different color for the car it don't have to be a fancy paint job but she might not like the buckskin color lol
Old November 13th, 2013, 03:40 PM

The daughter is all in, she loves "old cars", just hard for me to get my head around a 1977 car being "old".

BTY Jed, Engineering school is worth it. when you get out, try finding a smaller company doing real engineering instead of a "Lock..d", "Boing", or a place like that. You'll learn more in 5 years than an entire career at the big firms. Save those places for later in life.

I have worked both, and writing requirements is not engineering.
Old November 14th, 2013, 06:42 AM

I'd rather spend a couple of grand on a car that's got no sensors or electronics to fail. With our older cars ... if it's not running .. it's coz you broke something. Not because one out of 7000 sensors goes menstrual.
Old November 14th, 2013, 07:51 AM

Keep in mind any 16 teen year old will change their mind in a heart beat, if their friends say anything derogatory or anything else comes up the car will be on the outs. My `daughter wanted a cute little two seater sports car for her 16th then found out it didn't seat 6 comfortably Sometimes you can't win....Tedd
Old November 14th, 2013, 10:40 AM
major noob

True words proffessur glad i not the only one
Old November 14th, 2013, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the advice Professur, I had a recent data point on the sensors with my 2006 Dodge truck. After much debate on the symptoms, came to closure on a intermittent TPS, even though no engine light, no engine codes.
Old November 14th, 2013, 05:33 PM

To be honest .. I mind less the sensors ... as I do being told that without the $8000 dealership scan tool you're not even able to replace the power steering box.
Old November 14th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Friend of mine got a deal on a set of fancy factory HID headlights for his E46 BMW from a junk car, so he put them in.
Easy swap.
They didn't work.
Turns out that in order to swap headlight types, the body computer has to be reprogrammed for it, which can only be done by the dealership's fancy proprietary computer.
He put the old lights back.
Now they don't work either - no highbeams, and they act weird.

This kind of crap drives me crazy.

- Eric
Old November 17th, 2013, 06:20 AM
major noob

^^^^ that's some crazy bs
Old November 17th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Administrator

So what's the plan for this car? Does your daughter have any ideas on what she wants you to do to it for her?
Old November 17th, 2013, 06:52 AM

Standard method for a daily driver Whoa, Go, Show. Visual inspection to ensure it's structurally safe, then hit the brakes hard. If the lines are at all questionable ... rip and replace. That new nicopp brake line material lasts forever, is dead easy to work with ... and believe me ... when you're handing the keys to your little girl ... that's one thing you don't every want to be responsible for overlooking. Take a good look around the clamps. My Parisienne had a double line failure where the lines from the master cylinder clamped to the frame. I'd just rebuilt the tranny and had the rear end off the ground to do some testing. Took about half an hour for my hands to stop shaking.
Old November 17th, 2013, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Professur
Standard method for a daily driver Whoa, Go, Show. Visual inspection to ensure it's structurally safe, then hit the brakes hard. If the lines are at all questionable ... rip and replace. That new nicopp brake line material lasts forever, is dead easy to work with ... and believe me ... when you're handing the keys to your little girl ... that's one thing you don't every want to be responsible for overlooking. Take a good look around the clamps. My Parisienne had a double line failure where the lines from the master cylinder clamped to the frame. I'd just rebuilt the tranny and had the rear end off the ground to do some testing. Took about half an hour for my hands to stop shaking.
I agree. You just can't just look a brake lines and say they are good. They rust from the inside out also. How many people replace their brake fluid (on average) over 30 - 40 years?