General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

73 cowl tag decode and interior advice

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2021, 01:24 AM

73 cowl tag decode and interior advice

New member and so glad to find this great forum. New to car restoration and going to restore an old family car: 1973 2-door Cutlass coupe. Runs fine, but the family was heavily involved in fostering rescue dogs who rode in the car. The interior even looks like the dogs drove it themselves. Would appreciate help decoding the cowl tag because I'm a little confused on the correct colors for seat covers, carpet, door panels, armrests and headliner. Various parts vendors refer to saddle, beige and buckskin, etc. The door panels seem almost white with armrests that are a different color. I found some of these codes online, but any help/advice appreciated in getting this back to near original especially in regards to repairing the top sections of the doors. Thanks.

ST 73 3AG37 LAN392049
TR 946 46 T
01D. A52 B84
73 - year
3 - Olds
AG - Cutlass S?
37 - ?
LAN - Lansing Plant
392049 - Plant Number
TR 946 - ?
01D - 4th Week of January?
A52 - Bench?
B84 - ?

Old January 31st, 2021, 06:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

You got most of it:

ST 73 3AG37 LAN392049
TR 946 46 T
01D. A52 B84

73 - 1973 model year
3 - Oldsmobile division
AG37 - Cutlass S Coupe 2dr hardtop
LAN - Lansing Assembly Plant
392049 - Fisher Body sequential number
TR 946 - beige cloth interior
46 T - Moss Gold lower body color (46) with beige (T) vinyl top
01D - 4th Week of January build date
A52 - Bench seat
B84 - Body side molding

Old January 31st, 2021, 06:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'll add that as I look at the photos, it appears that the car has always been what looks to be Emerald Green, but that is paint code 42. Code 46 is clearly Moss Gold. Are you sure that's 46 T on the cowl tag?

Old January 31st, 2021, 08:12 AM

The door panels have probably bleached from the sun over time. SEM paint can make them nice again.
I think there are some repro panels made for the chevelle that might work, although they might not be completely correct.
Replacement carpet is available.
Dash doesn't look all that bad..most have curled up near the windshield, and/or gotten sticky from reacting to cleaning fluids.
Biggest thing is that it looks like it's all there..

Old January 31st, 2021, 08:43 AM
Oldsdruid

Those upper door panels will have to come from a parts car. The hard plastic pieces are shared with the other three 73-77 GM A-bodies but the colors didn't hold up well, so if any are beyond saving your best option is find black pieces and have them painted.

The seat vinyl should be easy enough to source but will have to be cut and sewn by an upholsterer. No reproductions I'm aware of.

Carpet is available in most colors.

Good luck. You have your work cut out for you.
Old January 31st, 2021, 11:45 AM

Repro lower door panels do not have the indents for the carpet strips. If yours are only sun-faded and not dry-rotted, I'd clean them up and repaint. As mentioned, new carpet strips can be replaced. Finding replacement interior sail panels will probably be your most challenging job.
Old January 31st, 2021, 07:18 PM

Thank you guys for the thorough responses. Bill G those cars are gorgeous. I checked and the car was indeed Moss Gold originally, but they changed it to Emerald Green with a Black VInyl top. Sounds like it may be easier to go with a black or different color interior instead of all that work to get back to beige. If anyone with an Emerald Green has suggestions/shots for color combinations I'd appreciate it. If anyone can also tell me what the correct names of the rear side window trim is called I'd appreciate it. I've been checking parts vendors and I'm not seeing anything. I also notice that a number of parts vendors seem to stop at 72 Cutlass which is too bad since we have a 73. Thanks Joe for posting the color chart and thanks everyone for the advice.

Emerald Green with Black top today; formerly Moss Gold.

Looking for the correct name of the trim pieces surrounding the rear window and ideas of where to get them. Probably end up going with black.
Old February 1st, 2021, 11:02 PM

Bill G. those cars are gorgeous. Joe thanks for posting the color chart and thanks to everyone for the quick, thorough responses. I learned that the car was indeed originally Moss Gold with a Beige Top and was changed to Emerald Green with a Black Top following a family vote back in the 80s. I will head over to the Interior section to get some more specific advice. Thanks again for the help.

Old February 2nd, 2021, 02:40 AM

Irish- that was at the OCA Nats..iirc Bloomfield MI several years ago..you don't see many 73-77s anywhere, and when i saw 2 black 73s next to my 74, i just had to take a couple pics..prob won't see it again..lol good luck with your resto.. posting in parts wanted here can be a big help.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 05:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

The 1973-77 cars are not popular to restore and thus are not well supported by the repro vendors, unfortunately.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 07:06 AM

As I mentioned, the rear side window trim pcs are commonly called sail panels. You won't find reproductions. In fact, aside from the front "A" pillar trims and lower door panels, none of the interior plastic is being reproduced. And, be aware when searching that the '73 sail panel trims are unique from '74-'77 due to the shoulder straps vs shoulder retractors. They were shared with the '73 Chevelle/Lemans/Century with the large windows. Good luck.