General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

72 Cutlass W-25 Ram Air setup?

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2013, 10:33 AM

72 Cutlass W-25 Ram Air setup?

I'm looking for a Ram Air setup for my 72 Cutlass 350 with A/C.
Any ideas appreciated.
Would it be a W-25 or W 30 for the 350?
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:39 AM

The same, it was option code W25 no matter it's application, the only real noticeable difference is the height of the foam used to seal the air cleaner to the underside of the hood, it was taller on 350 equipped cars due to the shorter deck height of that engine.
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:41 AM

Any idea where to get one?

I have the stock hood. Is it a possible add on via a body shop?
Thanks for the help.
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Toronado
I have the stock hood. Is it a possible add on via a body shop?
Thanks for the help.
This car has a home-built version that looks idiotic since the actual hood lines/humps are very different on an OAI hood versus the standard steel hoods. They didn't even get the front angles of the scoops right:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-...item35c6043170

There are at least three different reproduction versions of the OAI hood on the market depending on your budget and how much of a stickler you are for correctness. Thorntons are the most accurate, but most expensive, and they make the reproduction OAI air cleaner flapper lids as well. Parts Place offers a version with a steel frame but it's not the same in appearance as the originals, and there are all-fiberglass versions too. Do a search on here - there are other threads on this topic already.

Terry
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

To clarify a little for the O.P., the W-25 option was the fiberglass O.A.I. hood and air cleaner adapter that was available on just about any 2 dr Cutlass/442. The W-25 option was included as part of the W-30 package, but you could get it alone as well. Many folks just call this the W-30 hood, so you may hear that name also, but the factory regular production option (RPO) code was W-25.
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I'm looking for a Ram Air setup for my 72 Cutlass 350 with A/C.
Any ideas appreciated.
Would it be a W-25 or W 30 for the 350?
OAI hoods are being repopped by a fair number of vendors, and can be bolt on or pin on. Most don't match the original fit/finish and some don't even have the functional air box.

The OAI hood and air cleaner setup from Thornton is pricey but about the best on the market and uses the proper steel frame/fibreglass overlay. You will need to specify 350 instead of 455 for the foam on the air cleaner to hood seal. More of the OAI's appeared on BBO than SBO. AC has nothing to do with the W25 package.

As Joe mentioned, the OAI hood is most commonly associated with the W30 package. The W29 package on the 72 did not include this hood - it was the Cutlass S 'faux' louvered hood with thin hood stripes and side stripes. Didn't require any changes under the hood for air cleaner because the W29 was also available on Cutlass, Cutlass S and CS verts with their standard engines.
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
OAI hoods are being repopped by a fair number of vendors, and can be bolt on or pin on. Most don't match the original fit/finish...
Sadly, many DO match the OEM fit/finish, which was pretty crappy.
Old April 1st, 2013, 03:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Probably should have said not many others offer the metal substructure for the hood. The new molds for Troys OAI are supposed to be really almost perfect for fit if the feedback from peeps who bought them is accurate.

I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend initially, and on body work to make it fit right. I'm not bashing the other OAI's, I've heard good things about Fibreconcepts and VFN too.

One of the areas most have issues with is the rear of the hood where the stainless is attached. As usual, shop around - prices are going up again. What used to be 558 for a functional airbox (all fibreglass) hood is now 580 and climbing.
Old April 1st, 2013, 04:46 PM

I'm weighing the options of price versus adding value

Obviously it makes it into a bon fide beast.
Old April 1st, 2013, 05:47 PM

Dont forget to change the springs on your hood hinges. Also will need the factory hold downs (assuming you are trying to go with correct appearances).
Old April 1st, 2013, 06:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Obviously it makes it into a bon fide beast.
The question of $$ vs value I'd get was the deciding reason I didn't do it. By the time I bought, crated, shipped, paid customs, fitted, prepped and painted? The hood and breather assembly and hardware was looking close to 5 large. Not easy to justify unless you have bucks and it didn't add value to my car. (this was the Thornton hood BTW). I could get a much cheaper hood for a lot less, but I wanted to keep my car with as many factory correct options as possible.

Originally Posted by drop top olds
Dont forget to change the springs on your hood hinges. Also will need the factory hold downs (assuming you are trying to go with correct appearances).
Changing to lightweight springs is necessary ONLY if you use something other than Thornton or Fiberconcepts. Those 2 companies say to use the original springs because of the way they are built.

In addition to the chrome hold downs, the brackets under the hood are needed too. Ka ching, ka ching...
Old April 1st, 2013, 07:17 PM

When I bought my chrome hood hold downs, they came with the brackets that bolt to the rad support. They even came with the weaker hood springs, even though I didn't need them.
Old April 1st, 2013, 08:00 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Same here. I used the old springs.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:36 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Ted,
Since you actually bought a W25 hood that wasn't part of your original car you would be the best source to help the OP. Your's is a 70, but after all the $$ of purchase, shipping, painting etc are factored in? How would you compare the $$ cost to value added on your car? Is it mostly a personal thing? I think that's where the OP was going with his question.

Are you planning to also install the OAI breather on your car?
Old April 2nd, 2013, 09:35 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by Allan R
Ted,
Since you actually bought a W25 hood that wasn't part of your original car you would be the best source to help the OP. Your's is a 70, but after all the $$ of purchase, shipping, painting etc are factored in? How would you compare the $$ cost to value added on your car? Is it mostly a personal thing? I think that's where the OP was going with his question.

Are you planning to also install the OAI breather on your car?
Tough one
For the total invested in the hood, I could have purchased another project car, which I really do not need at the moment
That said, I think that it does make the car more salable. Whether it would equate into dollars is up for debate.The total invested in the hood is 2.5x what I paid for the car originally( got it cheap) . That said, since purchase price was so low versus the actual value of the car, it allowed me to spend some money on it. If one sat down with a sharp pencil, they prob do not make senseIMO

I think it boils down to personal preference. These hoods make the car look really cool and beasty. Technically, we all know the benefits of air to these motors......

Not too sure on the OAI breather yet.....prob not.

Ted
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:06 AM
delete

I had Thornton restore a '70 hood for me a few years ago. He installed an all new frame and fixed up the fiberglass and got the hood into prime. IIRC it was about $1K for the frame & $1K for the body work. I have Performer with a 400 so I don't have the correct air cleaner set up.
Hood3.jpg

latch.jpg

Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by sammy
Tough one
For the total invested in the hood, I could have purchased another project car, which I really do not need at the moment
That said, I think that it does make the car more salable. Whether it would equate into dollars is up for debate.The total invested in the hood is 2.5x what I paid for the car originally( got it cheap) . That said, since purchase price was so low versus the actual value of the car, it allowed me to spend some money on it. If one sat down with a sharp pencil, they prob do not make senseIMO

I think it boils down to personal preference. These hoods make the car look really cool and beasty. Technically, we all know the benefits of air to these motors......

Not too sure on the OAI breather yet.....prob not.

Ted
That's the same reason I wanted one. The car looks so much meaner with the hood scoops.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:36 AM

Thanks for all the honest comments, I agree