General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

72 Cutlass Supreme vinyl top install help

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2018, 04:02 PM

72 Cutlass Supreme vinyl top install help

Okay I did a search on this site/forum and have not found anything specific to installing a vinyl top and what glue to use. If I missed one please send the link.
Bottom line is I will be doing the install, for what I have seen and found out on the web nothing there scares me from getting this done on my own with help. But the one thing that I have not been able to nail down is what type of glue. For one I will NOT be using any of the aerosols. I have an old spray gun, all I need is what to use. I have found many types of glue that have been used with and without success.
I trust that I will get good info from this site, from my past gatherings so far you have not failed me. Sooooo.

The roof as it is now is 3 coats of epoxy PPG DP (what ever the sealer primer gray is). Q. should I paint this with a single stage or not?
If any of you have done this job I am open to any tips or tricks to get this done from your lessons learned. (I have seen many U Tube videos already is there anything they are not showing?)
What type of glue did you use and your success.

Here is the current condition.

Last edited by AJFink; December 11th, 2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old December 11th, 2018, 04:06 PM

Years ago I had a vinyl top redone, at that point they painted the whole top to help prevent rust as the primer back in the day was porous. I think it still is except for epoxy primers. Hopefully someone with recent experience will chime in.
Old December 11th, 2018, 04:50 PM

From what I have seen, and I don't know if its correct or not? but the whole car is painted final coat and then vinyl roof is applied with what looks to me to be a contact cement? I know your looking for specifics sorry. 3M must have something. I watch graveyard cars sometimes and the guy does the vinyl roofs and that's what it looks like he uses? I would def paint and protect as much as possible underneath especially around the edges and around glass channel. The water just sits there and doesn't drain if it gets wet so I would blow it out after washing or rain. I know a lot of people are concerned with moisture getting underneath and rightfully so but that is when the cars were used on a daily basis in all kinds of weather with minimal protection. I personally like the vinyl roofs if they came with the car.
Paint looks good BTW!
Old December 11th, 2018, 06:04 PM

Talking

Ok I have done a half dozen of these.I was taught by a 40+ yr upholstery guy . take your time, first one may take 3 or4 hrs
have plenty or razor blades on hand "new ones". I believe this is a two seam top so you need to find the centerline of the roof mark with tape front to back.
then get centerline on top measure from seam to seam frt and back( width between seams may be diff) and find center. mark on inside of top front to back
with a pencil. do one side at a time.have top on car and folded to one side then spray side of roof an top let set for a 5 -10 min then start at frt. lining up the centerline on top to centerline on roof. work like 6in from center out. then pull taunt and smooth with your palm. do not stretch or your seams will be wavy.
you will use 2-2 1/2 qts. make sure there is enough glue in window channels an edges to prevent shrinkage.also try to heat top to get out any wrinkles before you start room should be 60 plus degrees. I would recommend painting roof . single stage is fine just let it dry a few days before doing top and scuff with a red scotch brite pad. here is the glue I use and I spray it out of a gravity feed gun from harbor freight. hope this helps and good luck
Old December 12th, 2018, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by forddom

Ok I have done a half dozen of these.I was taught by a 40+ yr upholstery guy . take your time, first one may take 3 or4 hrs
have plenty or razor blades on hand "new ones". I believe this is a two seam top so you need to find the centerline of the roof mark with tape front to back.
then get centerline on top measure from seam to seam frt and back( width between seams may be diff) and find center. mark on inside of top front to back
with a pencil. do one side at a time.have top on car and folded to one side then spray side of roof an top let set for a 5 -10 min then start at frt. lining up the centerline on top to centerline on roof. work like 6in from center out. then pull taunt and smooth with your palm. do not stretch or your seams will be wavy.
you will use 2-2 1/2 qts. make sure there is enough glue in window channels an edges to prevent shrinkage.also try to heat top to get out any wrinkles before you start room should be 60 plus degrees. I would recommend painting roof . single stage is fine just let it dry a few days before doing top and scuff with a red scotch brite pad. here is the glue I use and I spray it out of a gravity feed gun from harbor freight. hope this helps and good luck
This is what I am looking for. THANK YOU!
Q. Tonight I will be clear coating my trunk with PPG 2021 would it be okay to just coat the top?
Old December 12th, 2018, 06:40 AM

I wouldnt. Clear is not intended to be applied to primers.
Old December 12th, 2018, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by forddom
I wouldnt. Clear is not intended to be applied to primers.
Got it ........ will be doing a single stage then......Thanks

Q. The videos say that after you get the top/roof done to do the valance below the rear window next before the sail panels..........good or bad?
Old December 12th, 2018, 07:01 PM

I usually do sails first but if valence is attached that makes sense so you can line up seams from top above. Some tops the valence is seperate piece.
Old December 13th, 2018, 06:23 AM

Well last night I sealed it with a single stage, will be ordering the glue then just wait for my vinyl top from Legendary to get here.
Old December 13th, 2018, 06:26 AM

Didnt know legendary did tops thanks for the info.
Old December 13th, 2018, 06:28 AM

Yes they do and they are a bit more in cost but have the correct cloth backing instead of the fussy stuff.