General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

72 cs transmission gasket

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2014, 09:31 PM

72 cs transmission gasket

I am in the process of changing my transmission gasket and filter. After loosening all the bolts on the transmission pan the back park will not drop. I have the front just hanging. It's like something is holding it in place. I notice there is a long bar that runs from one side of the door to the other side above the pan. Did I forgot to do something or should the pan drop after taken out all the bolts.
Old August 15th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Lansing built

If memory serves, that the rubber mount for the trans tail shaft/crossmember has compressed or failed to the point of lower height, less clearance. You can loosen the mount hardware and have someone help by prying up on trans and it should come out. Just make sure that your holding the trans pan so you don't get a bath or make a mess when it drops into your drain pan!

Pat
Old August 15th, 2014, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by 72cutlassdog
I am in the process of changing my transmission gasket and filter. After loosening all the bolts on the transmission pan the back park will not drop. I have the front just hanging. It's like something is holding it in place. I notice there is a long bar that runs from one side of the door to the other side above the pan. Did I forgot to do something or should the pan drop after taken out all the bolts.
should I use any type of glue when putting on the new gasket?
Old August 15th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Lansing built

I would not! If you do it may get sealant into the transmission.

Usually they fold the damn gaskets now days instead of the old days of laying them flat on the cardboard with filter in center and shrink wrapped.

You may want to lay the gasket down on flat clean surface and put weight on it for a while, to help take the wrinkles out of the gasket. FYI when removing the old filter, make sure that the O-ring comes off with filter, if not it will be stuck in the bore. Remove with a o-ring pick or pocket screw driver.

Pat
Old August 21st, 2014, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by 72cutlassdog
Done with installing the gasket. It was a piece of cake. If your car have a transmission bracket underneath behind the pan you will need to jack it up with a wood block for a better clearance.
Old August 21st, 2014, 10:29 AM

I just did this in my 72 Cutlass "S" two weekends ago. Pan came right down, I didn't have any kind of rod under the pan.

Just had to be careful with the linkage bolts, didn't want to bend them when putting them back.