General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

72 442 w30 convertible

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2023, 09:16 PM

72 442 w30 convertible

Hi everyone new here and to be honest I don't know anything about cars so please bear with me... this was my grandfather's car he passed away left the car to my dad and a few years ago he passed away and left the car to me, the car has been sitting in the garage for 15 years and hasn't moved I don't have the time or money to invest into the car I'm hoping someone here can give me a rough idea what it might possibly be worth and my best route to take in selling it.. I did a little research and if I'm correct there was only 113 produced which is pretty crazy to me.. the car is not in the best shape theres some scratches and marks in the paint but no dents or rust anywhere except a little bit on the driver and passenger side at the bottom between the door and the tires, the interior is in good shape there's no cracks or marks in the leather seats no cracks or discoloring in the dash all the gauges and instruments look nice, it's been 15 years since it was on the road but the last time it was out it was driving fine there were no mechanical problems with it my dad just got sick life fell apart the car got parked and hasn't moved since.. my grandfather was the second owner he bought the car in 1978 it's a 4 speed manual with 65k miles .. if you have any questions or need more information I'll do my best to answer your questions.. I uploaded a couple videos to YouTube if that helps more then the pictures, here's the links
https://youtu.be/fVVvmhSy348
https://youtu.be/ehTkcUlKX6o

Old June 24th, 2023, 09:50 PM

Used 1972 Oldsmobile 442 2 Door Convertible Ratings, Values, Reviews & Awards (jdpower.com)
Old June 25th, 2023, 12:10 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Sorry for your losses.

Your dad and grandpa looked after you, though. The 'X' in the 5th position of the VIN reveals that you potentially have quite a valuable car.

To begin with, JD Power is not really the go-to for valuing such cars. For your own edification, you could start by researching auction results (R-M, Mecum, Silver and Barrett-Jackson) and researching online collector classifieds like Hemmings, Barn Finds, Old Ride or Bring a Trailer. In the meantime, post up here with as many detailed pictures (inside, outside, underneath -- and include anything that looks like a potential problem) as you can and we'll try to give you an idea about the condition of the car. It actually looks pretty good.

Also, if you haven't done so already, go on a treasure hunt for every scrap of paper associated with the car that you can find. The Protect-o-Plate shown is excellent documentation and in conjunction with the VIN pretty much authenticates the car, but the more history of the car you can dig up, the more value is added. Anything you can find from the original selling dealer or that shows service and maintenance history is gold. Old photos are great too. Once you find all this stuff, put it in a safe place, along with that P-O-P.

Is there any chance the car was originally sold in Canada? I ask because if it was, you can obtain records of how it was originally delivered to the dealer which can be very helpful.

That should be enough to get you started. Soon, I'm sure other members will chime in with some good ideas to help you figure out what your next move will be.
Old June 25th, 2023, 02:42 AM
Lansing built

X in the VIN is the key. 72 "X" is a W30

Pat
Old June 25th, 2023, 07:59 AM

1972 w-30

I will start out offering you 65k for the car if its number matching and has all the correct parts.
Old June 25th, 2023, 08:24 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by w30hurstolds
I will start out offering you 65k for the car if its number matching and has all the correct parts.
... and if he's willing to do that, basically sight unseen, it should give you (OP) some idea of the potential value of the car.
Old June 25th, 2023, 08:26 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
Your dad and grandpa looked after you, though. The 'X' in the 5th position of the VIN reveals that you potentially have quite a valuable car.

Is there any chance the car was originally sold in Canada? I ask because if it was, you can obtain records of how it was originally delivered to the dealer which can be very helpful.
POP indicates sold in Olds Sales Zone 10. Wonder if 10-359 is in TK-65's dealer database?

You've gotten a tentative offer and value sight unseen from a well-known and respected Oldsmobile performance car guy. Yes, you have an interesting and valuable car.
Old June 25th, 2023, 08:29 AM

The JD Powers price isn't a given. The market determines that. It's just a guide. The real W30 is worth a LOT more than a plain Cutlass.
Old June 25th, 2023, 08:51 AM

Those yellow headlights bring back some memories.
Old June 25th, 2023, 09:17 AM

Hi - Great looking car. Please check your PMs.
Terry
Old June 25th, 2023, 09:53 AM
Oldsdruid

Terry, with one post he may not be able to do PMs yet.

I will say this is one of the most astonishing cars I've ever seen on here.

Elijah15, were your dad and grandpa ever involved in the Oldsmobile Club of America or the W-Machines groups? Maybe we can track the car thru those. Or it may be the unknown jewel nobody knew existed.
Old June 25th, 2023, 10:11 AM

Delete this thread.people in here are trying to sell your car before buying it from u.
Old June 25th, 2023, 10:19 AM

If you can’t see my PM, please drop me a note at vette442@hotmail.com. A friend may have some info on your car. Thanks.
Terry
Old June 25th, 2023, 10:21 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by vincetan
Delete this thread.people in here are trying to sell your car before buying it from u.
He's right. I'd leave the thread up ... you may still get some useful information. But don't take any action based on internet BS. Instead, take some time, assemble all the info you can get and then proceed deliberately.

It is a valuable car and you come off as a little bit naive. That's a combination that brings out the sharks
Old June 25th, 2023, 11:08 AM

Sorry for your losses.

To begin with, JD Power is not really the go-to for valuing such cars. For your own edification, you could start by researching auction results (R-M, Mecum, Silver and Barrett-Jackson) and researching online collector classifieds like Hemmings, Barn Finds, Old Ride or Bring a Trailer. In the meantime, post up here with as many detailed pictures (inside, outside, underneath -- and include anything that looks like a potential problem) as you can and we'll try to give you an idea about the condition of the car. It actually looks pretty good.

Also, if you haven't done so already, go on a treasure hunt for every scrap of paper associated with the car that you can find. The Protect-o-Plate shown is excellent documentation and in conjunction with the VIN pretty much authenticates the car, but the more history of the car you can dig up, the more value is added. Anything you can find from the original selling dealer or that shows service and maintenance history is gold. Old photos are great too. Once you find all this stuff, put it in a safe place, along with that P-O-P.

That should be enough to get you started. Soon, I'm sure other members will chime in with some good ideas to help you figure out what your next move will be.
thanks for your reply appreciate you taking time to give your thoughts.. got lots of old photographs from the '70s and '80s of the car couldn't find a window sticker or very much paperwork but I did find the owner's manual the vehicle warranty booklet and a few other things..

Old June 25th, 2023, 11:18 AM
Rocket Renegade!

That's all great stuff. Set it aside and keep it safe.

Nobody's actually asked (including me -- I'm just assuming), but it is your intention to sell the car, isn't it?
Old June 25th, 2023, 02:16 PM

That's all great stuff. Set it aside and keep it safe.

Nobody's actually asked (including me -- I'm just assuming), but it is your intention to sell the car, isn't it?
will do, I'll continue to dig around and look for more.. yes looking to eventually sell it
Old June 25th, 2023, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
POP indicates sold in Olds Sales Zone 10. Wonder if 10-359 is in TK-65's dealer database?

You've gotten a tentative offer and value sight unseen from a well-known and respected Oldsmobile performance car guy. Yes, you have an interesting and valuable car.
Sorry I missed the question about the Canada thing earlier, the first owner lived in Illinois (Chicago land area) the second and final owner also lived in the Chicagoland area, I don't know exactly what city the first owner actually purchased the car from, I'm guessing at least somewhere in the state of Illinois
Old June 25th, 2023, 06:26 PM

What is the deal with it having 442 stripes and not the usual W30 stripes? Possible stripe delete?
Old June 25th, 2023, 09:04 PM
Banned

71-72 were interesting years. I had no idea you could get a 455 Cutlass until I joined this website. One of my brother's knew this girl/lady who's Dad worked for Oldsmobile. She had a black black interior white convertible top 72 455 ragtop car. I was a kid so didn't know how rare that car was.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; June 26th, 2023 at 02:14 AM.
Old June 25th, 2023, 09:10 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

X as 5th character in vin, unless vin plate is tampered with, is basically bulletproof documentation for W30 in ‘72. Striping and badging, not so much.
Old June 25th, 2023, 09:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vCode442
X in vin, unless vin plate is tampered with, is basically bulletproof documentation for W30 in ‘72.
Striping and badging, not so much.
I agree completely with what you are saying I understand that. I didn't see the W-30 emblems.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; June 26th, 2023 at 02:15 AM.
Old June 25th, 2023, 09:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vCode442
X as 5th character in vin, unless vin plate is tampered with, is basically bulletproof documentation for W30 in ‘72. Striping and badging, not so much.
So help me out. A 455 Cutlass in 71-72 had what letter to identify it as a 455 car? Could you get a 455 Cutlass other than an SX in 71?
Old June 25th, 2023, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
So help me out. A 455 Cutlass in 71-72 had what letter to identify it as a 455 car? Could you get a 455 Cutlass other than an SX in 71?
The VIN did not identify the engine size until 1972. So to answer your question, in 1971 there was no letter to identify the car having a 455 in the VIN. If the VIN in 70 or 71 starts with 344 then you would obviously have a 455 as those 3 numbers identify the car as a 442. Beyond that, you need paperwork to know for sure what 455 and what trans was in the car. For 72, the 5th position of the VIN was designated as identifiying the motor. The 455 codes for 1972 were U, V, and X. The U was the 455 mated to an auto trans. The V identified a 455 married to a 4 speed. The X designated the W30 455 with no distinction between 4 speed and automatic. Since the W30 was only available in a 442, the X in the vin is also a sure way to tell the car is a 442. So, as stated above, unless the VIN on this car has been swapped, the X proves that it IS a 442 W30. This is one of the reasons that many beleive the 72 W30 is a severely undervalued car as it is the only year that the VIN tells you clearly that you have a W30.
Old June 25th, 2023, 09:48 PM
Banned

Very cool. Thank you for all that.

My bad. I didn't see the W-30 emblems. Could you order a W car without stripes etc?

Last edited by no1oldsfan; June 26th, 2023 at 02:16 AM.
Old June 25th, 2023, 10:42 PM

It looks like there's a W30 on the side, under the 442, in the first photo.
Old June 26th, 2023, 12:08 AM
Rocket Renegade!

There's a W-30 callout pretty clearly shown on the DS front fender.

Looking for that, I also noticed that the tires are Goodyear Wingfoots. Jeez, they haven't made those in at least 20 years.

Last edited by BangScreech4-4-2; June 26th, 2023 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Autocorrect got me.
Old June 26th, 2023, 02:17 AM
Banned

I didn't look close enough. Didn't see W stripes so I overlooked the emblems.
Old June 26th, 2023, 05:30 AM

You have what seems to be a very special car. Do your homework and do not sell yourself short on what you sell the car for..

You will likely have many offers, some fair and some not so much...

Old June 26th, 2023, 06:02 AM

So I'll be that guy......

There is nothing more sentimental than having your grandfather's and father's car. Your going to kick yourself for selling it and may never forgive yourself. I still have my dad's 87 Mustang that he bought new..... It's a 2.3 auto that I dropped a 5.0 T5 in a couple years ago. If I had to make a choice between keeping my 68 442 4 speed convertible and the Mustang, I'd choose the Mustang in a second....
Old June 26th, 2023, 06:38 AM

I can agree with that. I still have my grandfather's Monte Carlo. It is nice to drive, but not particularly sporty. It's got enough power. I would not want to sell it.
Old June 26th, 2023, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Elijah15
Sorry I missed the question about the Canada thing earlier, the first owner lived in Illinois (Chicago land area) the second and final owner also lived in the Chicagoland area, I don't know exactly what city the first owner actually purchased the car from, I'm guessing at least somewhere in the state of Illinois
Deciphering the zip on the warranty booklet if I have it right, 60456, it puts the original owner probably in Hometown, IL which I'll toss a guess it was Jack Thompson Oldsmobile in Oak Lawn, IL... original owner could have been within walking distance of the dealership.
Old June 26th, 2023, 08:20 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by allyolds68
So I'll be that guy......

There is nothing more sentimental than having your grandfather's and father's car. Your going to kick yourself for selling it and may never forgive yourself. I still have my dad's 87 Mustang that he bought new...
Originally Posted by Koda
I can agree with that. I still have my grandfather's Monte Carlo. It is nice to drive, but not particularly sporty. It's got enough power. I would not want to sell it.
Commendable, but I would just note that nobody's about to offer either of you guys 150 large for your car, making the decision to hold onto it an easy one.

Maybe OP has other ways of remembering his dad and grandpa.
Old June 26th, 2023, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
What is the deal with it having 442 stripes and not the usual W30 stripes? Possible stripe delete?
Based on the condition and where it's from I would say the car has almost definitely been re-painted
Old June 26th, 2023, 08:48 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

Elijah, it sounds like you’re going through much right now, best wishes with everything. On top of the 45 year family history, you have a very rare and desirable car. If you’re able to maintain it another 3 or 5 or 10 years in that garage, you may find life’s changes may allow you to enjoy it.

Almost 40 years after selling my 1972 V code 442, I wish I never did. But at the time I thought it was the right thing to do. Many on this website feel the same way regarding their decisions to sell a car they now wish they had. Take the information gleaned from this wonderful forum, and discuss it with your family, and prayerfully consider all your options.

Take your time if you’re able, the value of the car should not decline anytime soon, and best of luck.

Last edited by vCode442; June 26th, 2023 at 08:50 AM.
Old June 26th, 2023, 08:51 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Based on the condition and where it's from I would say the car has almost definitely been re-painted
Well, OP has lots of old pictures, so if he posts them, maybe we'll be able to tell.

Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers with my comment above -- just wanted to give a little perspective. OP is likely at a different point in his life than most CO subscribers and that car might well represent a down payment on a nice house, which is a pretty good legacy from Dad and Grandpa.
Old June 26th, 2023, 08:59 AM

Commendable, but I would just note that nobody's about to offer either of you guys 150 large for your car, making the decision to hold onto it an easy one.

Maybe OP has other ways of remembering his dad and grandpa.
More like 60, but good point.
Old June 26th, 2023, 09:32 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Koda
More like 60, but good point.
We'll see. In any case, it sure seems to be stirring up some interest.
Old June 26th, 2023, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Elijah15
will do, I'll continue to dig around and look for more.. yes looking to eventually sell it
Very cool car, do you have a photo of the Fisher Body Tag on the Cowl
Old June 26th, 2023, 02:37 PM

If I had to make a choice between keeping my 68 442 4 speed convertible and the Mustang, I'd choose the Mustang in a second....
In my best Anton Chigurh voice, "What would you take for the '68?"

Quick Reply: 72 442 w30 convertible