General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

'71 Delta Royale Convertible top manual?

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:55 AM
stetzie

Information needed.
My owners manual has no information as to the operation of the convertible top. Was there a separate manual, aside from the owners manual, included when the car was purchased? If other instructions or manuals were included, I would need that information also. Next question, if so, does anyone have any of them to sell?
stetzie
Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:54 PM
Oldsdruid

in 1971 there IS a separate Fisher Body folding top manual for installation and replacement; after that it's incorporated into the appropriate year FB manual. I thought 70 was the last year for the separate folding top operation owner's manual, but it may have been 71. My 73 Delta owner guide had convertible instructions.

The trick to these tops is to lower them about 3/4 way down, then tuck the top material in so it doesn't bunch up in the top frame and doesn't stick out past the body when top is stacked. Then lower it all the way to stop before installing the boot.

Also- if top still has a glass back window, there are two guide links at the bottom of it that need to be in place and connected. These links guide and push the glass window back and under the body opening when top is lowered. If they are not connected there is a real risk of breaking the back glass when operating the top. If it's been replaced with a plastic rear window, not critical.

When raising the top, keep an eye on the second bow (the one with the ball joints on the frame) and make sure it tracks up normally with the frame and doesn't get cocked around backwards from where it's supposed to be. When the top is all the way up, put the drivers side guide pin in the windshield header first (the round hole, the pass side is elongated) before latching the top to the header.

Last edited by rocketraider; January 23rd, 2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:12 PM
stetzie

Originally Posted by rocketraider
in 1971 there IS a separate Fisher Body folding top manual for installation and replacement; after that it's incorporated into the appropriate year FB manual. I thought 70 was the last year for the separate folding top operation owner's manual, but it may have been 71. My 73 Delta owner guide had convertible instructions.

The trick to these tops is to lower them about 3/4 way down, then tuck the top material in so it doesn't bunch up in the top frame and doesn't stick out past the body when top is stacked. Then lower it all the way to stop before installing the boot.

Also- if top still has a glass back window, there are two guide links at the bottom of it that need to be in place and connected. These links guide and push the glass window back and under the body opening when top is lowered. If they are not connected there is a real risk of breaking the back glass when operating the top. If it's been replaced with a plastic rear window, not critical.

When raising the top, keep an eye on the second bow (the one with the ball joints on the frame) and make sure it tracks up normally with the frame and doesn't get cocked around backwards from where it's supposed to be. When the top is all the way up, put the drivers side guide pin in the windshield header first (the round hole, the pass side is elongated) before latching the top to the header.
Thanks, rocketraider, I'll make a copy of your message and make sure to follow your instructions. I'll keep a lookout for a top manual in the meantime. stetzie
Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:46 PM

Many of the Olds parts suppliers sell reprints of manuals like this. I have seen "folding top" manuals but not sure exactly what years and models though. Worth looking into perhaps.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:56 PM
stetzie

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Many of the Olds parts suppliers sell reprints of manuals like this. I have seen "folding top" manuals but not sure exactly what years and models though. Worth looking into perhaps.
Any websites come to mind for the manuals?