1975 Delta Royale manually lowered top

Old June 29th, 2013, 09:53 PM

1975 Delta Royale manually lowered top

Did the unthinkable today and manually lowered the top on my '75 Delta 88 and it actually went both down and up quite easily. I definitely see how one could try to force it and cause top frame damage if you weren't very careful. I had help and I was almost too terrified to go up at all but it just kinda happened and came back up just as easily. Maybe I got lucky but it sure is nicer w the top down!!!
Old June 29th, 2013, 10:09 PM
same but different

Glad you got to enjoy it like it should be. Sounds like a nice adventure.

Are you having problems with it when trying to power it up/down?
Old June 30th, 2013, 03:56 AM

I lower/raised my non-operating top when getting my Royale ready for paint. I used 2 drills attached to the actuator cables to power them. Took my time. Top is now rebuilt, new bushings, motor, works smooth. Never force them. Ken
Old June 30th, 2013, 01:59 PM

top problems

The guy I got the car from paid 1500 to replace the top, but they didn't get it working. Im not sure if its bad cable, motor, relay etc. It does click when I push the up/down switch but that's all it does. I need to get the fisher top book or just have somebody who knows them to assess it for me, but for now I am definitely enjoying the breeze(Its 90 out now 2pm!) thanks, James T.
Old June 30th, 2013, 02:12 PM

Ive had it for about 4 months now and this was the first time Ive actually tried to do it because it felt like you would have to force it, but when I did it with the correct side crossing first, it was like butter and just slid right on down. Im just waiting for the time and funds and I too will replace/repair all the major components as the motor and relay are original, the switch feels loose and the gears look decent, but feel a little froze up.
Old July 8th, 2013, 09:03 PM

My top quit going down when I took it out of storage turns out it is a bad switch. So looking for one of those now. Yours might be the same. Good Luck with it.
Old July 19th, 2013, 12:42 AM

Bad switch?

Yeah the most reliable source of info. of asked said the switch was most likely the culprit. working 60-70 hrs a week but once it slows down im gonna get started w solving that issue. thank you cathys88. did anything at all happen when you moved the switch?
Old July 19th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The problem may be the switch, which needs to pass far more current than it should in order for the top to work properly, but could also be a melted contact on the relay.

The only way to make the poorly designed control system work properly is to replace the lousy seat relay they designed the system around and rewire it for low-current control through heavier relays.

The motor comes apart easily, and probably just needs to be cleaned and greased.

See here and here for some of my experiences with it.

There is no such thing as a "Fisher Top Book." The manual you are looking for is the Fisher Body Manual, which has a chapter on convertible tops with all alignment and adjustment information in it.
This chapter is the SAME as what is sold as the "Convertible Top Manual" at various places on line, but you ought to be able to get a FBM much cheaper, especially a '73 to '75 manual, as those are not in demand by the A-body crowd.

You do NOT need to use drills or any other Rube Goldberg system to get the top up and down - just disconnect the two drive cables from the gear mechanisms behind each rear window, and raise the top by standing on the back seat and lifting it up - it's heavy, but it will go up and down just fine this way.

- Eric
Old July 20th, 2013, 10:36 AM

kinghenry88, I managed to take my switch apart clean up the contacts and reassemble it. Once its reinstalled I am hoping she will work fine again.