General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

71 cutlass ignition wiring

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:27 AM

71 cutlass ignition wiring

does anyone have a picture of the 71 cutlass ignition switch wiring connection. I have the manual but it I can't figure out were the wires connect on the column itself. I am installing a new wiring harness because the wiring that was in the car when I bought it was crap. Looking at the diagram in the manual versus what I see in the car has me confused. The car is has a column shifter not a floor mounted one. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The ignition switch is located on the top surface of the c lower portion if the column.
You have to drop the column to get to it.
The plugs just plug in.

- Eric
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:55 AM

Hey Eric,

Is that the same place where i'll find the thicker Pink wire that i'm looking for to splice into my distributor? I dont have to drop the column to get to it do i?

cheers,

Tony
Old September 13th, 2011, 11:11 AM

I have found the connection for the ignition switch, I bought a new wiring harness because the harness in the car was cut and spliced in several different places. When I was ready to connect the ignition switch I notice that some of the wires on the old harness didn't match up with the new harness connections, so I changed them to match the old harness. I think that is why I am having problems now with my accessories. I don't remember how the new harness was connected to the new plug for the ignition switch. Does anyone have a picture of how the harness should look when it is connected or describe the placement of each wire on the switch itself? I can see markings on the ignition switch but it does not match anything in the manual.
Old September 13th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yes, Tony, it's the same place. You don't HAVE to drop the column if all you want to do is find the wire, but it might make it easier if you haven't found it before.

- Eric
Old September 13th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Okay, Freddy. I'm confused now.

Any way YOU could post pictures of what you've got, so we can know what sort of suggestions to make?

- Eric
Old September 14th, 2011, 06:26 AM

71 Ignition connection

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Okay, Freddy. I'm confused now.

Any way YOU could post pictures of what you've got, so we can know what sort of suggestions to make?

- Eric
Here are some pics of the connectors on the ignition switch. Here is how its connected from left to right:
Brown Wire-Top left Purple Wire-Top Right
Red Wire-Center Middle
Pink Wire-Bottom Middle Orange Wire-Bottome Right
I also have an additional red wire that I dont know were to connect
SDC11651.jpg

ign1.jpg

ign2.jpg
Old September 14th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Okay.
Now I understand.
You took the wires out of the connector plugs.
I was wondering what you meant, since the plugs only go in one way.
I thought these expensive harnesses came with the connector plugs on them. Guess I was mistaken.

It's hard got me to post what I need to right now because I'm at work, but there's a picture of the plug connections on the schematic in the Cassis Service Manual.
If nobody else posts it, I'll post it tonight when I get home.

- Eric
Old September 14th, 2011, 06:52 AM

You would think that would be the case with buying a new wiring harness. I have been pulling my hair out with this one. I looked in the service manual but it shows 8 pin connectors the switch in my car has 9 connection points that is were I'm having the issue. I have figured out some of the connections but I don't want to connect the wrong wire to the wrong place i could be buying another new harness and I don't want that.

thanks Eric
Old September 15th, 2011, 04:46 AM

Does anyone know were each wire goes on the ignition switch for a 71 cutlass. I have looked at the service manual and I still cant figure it out. the wires are colored pink, purple,2 red, orange, and brown
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Freddy, sorry I forgot to check this out at home last night, but I can give you some info here, and I can scan the image at home tonight if you need it.

You're looking for Figure 12-3 on page 12-4 of your 1971 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual. If you don't have one, you should get one.

The diagram you need is located along the bottom edge of the picture, and is the second PAIR of plugs pictured, counting from the RIGHT.
Here is how it looks on the WildAboutCars scan - not too clear, but possibly clear enough for your purposes, as it does show wire colors and locations in the two plugs.

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ign Switch Plug.JPG (48.5 KB, 581 views)
Old September 15th, 2011, 06:55 AM

Thanks Eric
Old September 15th, 2011, 07:01 AM

Eric,

The CSM was available in Color!??

I have a copy that i printed at work, the page in color is the first page with the Rocket emblem on it.
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Oldsdruid

All Oldsmobile factory service manuals had color wiring diagrams and transmission flow diagrams.

That's one reason I keep telling y'all not to fool with these CD scans of the shop books.

Look on wildaboutcars and see if it has the A-body L6, 88/98, or Toronado color diagram or the 442 black/white line diagram. The 71 shop book A-body V8 diagram was badly printed and is damn near unreadable even in the hardcopy.

The L6 and 442 ignition switch wiring is exactly the same as the V8 and eminently more readable. It will show you exactly which cavity which wire goes into. 88/98/Toro ignition switch wiring is also the same but the diagram is showing a little difference in the physical appearance of the plugs, and the orange IGN 3 wire has a black stripe.

Also- keep in mind that the switch is physically mounted to the column differently on a tilt wheel car. The plugs are the same, you just have to flip them over 180 degrees between tilt vs. non tilt.

And yes, it's hard to believe these expensive repro wiring harnesses don't include these plugs. They were only used on every GM car made from 1969 up thru the mid 80s.
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:34 AM

I went looking on wildaboutcars for the 72 rocket electrical diagram. I'm guessing it's dangerously similar to the 71? Although i think 71 had an L6 right?

Anyone know of a scanned color copy of the electrical diagram? Or maybe even if one of the moderators could post it in the tech section? I think that'd be a big help to us all!
Old September 16th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Okay, Freddy, here you go:

This is from a 1973, but it should be the same.

Sorry, I'm not up to scanning in the whole schematic, because I'd have to cut it out of my CSM, and I'm not prepared to do that .

- Eric
Attached Images
Old September 16th, 2011, 05:19 AM

Thanks Eric,

I have a copy of the manual now the wire connection plug wires were in the wrong place. I switch the wires but ran into another problem...now the car will not start the starter only clicks when you turn the key. I sent yesterday at my local auto parts store getting my starter checked which they said was good as well as the battery that had 10.4 volts when it was put under a load. I let them keep the battery to charge it. I also notice that the battery wire to the starter was loose as well as the terminal on the starter itself. So we will see what happens when I put everything back in this morning. Thanks again for the help with the connection schematic.
Old September 16th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Freddy B
... the battery... had 10.4 volts when it was put under a load
Thats WAY tool low.

Either it's run down or it's no good.

Originally Posted by Freddy B
the battery wire to the starter was loose as well as the terminal on the starter itself.
That'll do it.

Tighten and clean ALL connections when you put it back together.

- Eric
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:09 PM

Well guys I got the battery back from the auto parts store today he put it on a load tester and it had 12 volts. I installed it and I noticed that the positive battery terminal was broken. I replaced the terminal installed the battery and the starter clicked once. I hooked up jumper cables and it started to click more when i cranked the car. I think the battery is done
Old September 17th, 2011, 08:09 AM

Hey,

I've been getting into the habit of using dielectric grease on all the connections that I touch. I bought a tube a couple years ago for 10 bucks and I've still got lots.

My ignition wires are great and starter is still clean from a year ago.