General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

71 Cutlass Convertible Top Rips

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2011, 05:58 AM

71 Cutlass Convertible Top Rips

I have had 3 tops on my Cutlass over the years and ever since the original top showed rips on the sides above the rear windows, I have always put a piece of material in between the top and the arms so they don't rip through.
Has anyone else had this problem, I was told it was a design flaw, and the most recent top ( last month) has not been down yet and the installer also said it was a design flaw.
I'd like to know if anyone has had this experience and what they did to prevent the side rips.

Thanks
Joe
JVCCUTLASS
Old October 6th, 2011, 06:41 AM

Do you recall what brand of tops you were using?
Big difference in quality amongst them all.

Were they installed too tight?
There should have been foam pads over the frame - the factory used them...
Old October 6th, 2011, 03:36 PM

Talking 71 convertible top rips

I just picked up my '70 Cutlass convertible from a professional top shop in St. Charles, IL with a new OEM vinyl top installed. I actually saw your thread before I picked it up and asked them about it. They readily agreed it was a flawed design by GM but there is a fix. They do pad around the rear rib under the top but the culprit seems to be the strip that runs horizontally across the top outside just above the rear window (mine is glass). It has stainless bullet caps screwed on each end. The original strip attaches (or sits) right over the top of the inside main rear steel rib and follows it almost all the way to each end. They shorten it up by moving each end inward about 5 inches so it really doesn't have much of an arch on either side. They say this eliminates the wear that the bullet caps cause when lowering the top (which eventually causes the rips). I'll take a picture of it and up load it for you.
http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20top%202011/
If the link isn't active, copy and paste it into your browser and hit Enter.
I've also tried to put both pictures as attachments to this thread reply but don't know if I'm doing it correctly.
The top shop buys their tops from a west coast manufacturer but I can't remember the name. I'll have to get that for you too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Convt. top spline 2.JPG (60.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg
Convt. top spline 1.JPG (47.4 KB, 18 views)
Old October 6th, 2011, 05:42 PM

I own a 69 and have had the same problems. The shop that replaced my new top (back in 95) has been in the business for at least 40 years and suggested that when putting the top down stop about half way and get out and tuck the folds at the rib in. By doing this you have a better chance of not wearing out the area at the rib. It seems to help since my top is still like new. They too shortened up the rib area like Bobac455 said. Hope it helps ,I feel like it helped me. Good luck
Old October 6th, 2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by archerbob
I own a 69 and have had the same problems. The shop that replaced my new top (back in 95) has been in the business for at least 40 years and suggested that when putting the top down stop about half way and get out and tuck the folds at the rib in. By doing this you have a better chance of not wearing out the area at the rib. It seems to help since my top is still like new. They too shortened up the rib area like Bobac455 said. Hope it helps ,I feel like it helped me. Good luck
THIS is to be remembered! It is also in the '72 owners manual!
Not doing this causes a lot of tension on the lower fabric when forcing the top to be as low as it can go. I did this wrongly for 3 years and wondered why the boot would never fit.
I bet it would fit after I lower it right... And I bet my top will last longer!
Old October 7th, 2011, 09:21 AM

Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to look into having the arms shortened on both sides. My remedy was to put the top down half-way, pull out the top material away from the arms, and put a piece of household floor rug inbetween the arm and the top to give it some cushioning.