General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

70 F85 Post car - worth saving?

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2012, 07:56 PM

70 F85 Post car - worth saving?

Just stumbled across a 70 F- 85. I've actually been looking specifically for one of these cars so finding one on a parts hunt was nice. However, it's pretty rough and needs lots of work. The car has been sitting out for years and front and back windows have been leaking so the lower dash and the package tray area are in bad rusted out shape. Also, the floors and the trunk pan are rusted out and will need replacement -- either partial or full. Current owner isn't sure that car will run and there are title issues. Front is smashed in. Surprisingly, the fenders and rear quarters aren't that bad. Lips are ok just normal issues behind the rear wheels. Most of the damage has been caused by water leaking in through the front and rear glass. Owner bought the car years ago as a parts car and was going to cut the roof off for another car.

I realize the post cars are in high demand and specifically the 70 models, but given the amount of work this car needs, just not sure it's worth it. The car can probably be bought for $700-$800 but as stated, it needs major body repairs most of which I'd probably have to pay someone to do since I don't weld.

Are these cars rare and desirable enough to warrant bringing one back from the dead at a major expense? As with most F85's, its low optioned, bench seat, 350, 2 bbl.

Sorry, no pics but it kinda looks like any car that's been sitting in a field neglected for the past decade. No paint, lots of rust and in dire need of TLC and a serious cash infusion.

The price and rarity makes it tempting but the rust and the unknown are telling me to walk.

So, what do you think? ****** it up and give it a good home or walk and put the $$$ towards a OAI hood for my 72?
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I have no sense of the "collector value" of anything, only of the "real value."

And based on the "real value," I'd say (without seeing pictures) that it's worth its weight as scrap (maybe a few stainless and plastic parts could be salvaged).

Sorry.

- Eric
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Always room for one more

If you can get it to run and drive down the road fairly straight it ought to be worth that much anyway. Might not be worth a frame off resto but would be a hoot to scream around in.

Mike
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:30 PM

i love post cars..but ruff is ruff, and it costs more to do a ruff car on the other end than it does to do a nice car with the upfront cost...id look for a good solid car...big projects are easy to get lost in, but if it was dirt cheap, and i mean dirt cheap..im afraid id probably drag it home too..lol

i jsut found a really solid Aspen green post car for 2500 or so..its nearly rust free..you need a car like that....
Old April 7th, 2012, 11:27 PM

"Where there's smoke, there's fire".....you'll likely find even more rust the more you dig and if you have to pay someone to deal with that mess you are either looking at 1) a financial disaster or 2)Cheap/subpar work being done if somehow the time/$ required to pay someone else is actually affordable (ie hackjob)....that or someone is willing to work for next to nothing.

End value has limited upside as while it's desirable and rare it's not a 442 or W car that might justify the probable substantial expense.
Old April 8th, 2012, 12:02 AM

Sounds like Patton has lots of experience with these cars, so probably good idea paying attention to what he's saying. Know a guy that has one of these cars, and pretty sharp. He has my ex modified 403 in it, and since he's a retired machinest, turned down a crank bushing to mount a 4 speed manual tranny in it. If interested, get me an e-mail, and I'll send out some pic's and his contact information. Mark
Old April 8th, 2012, 12:35 AM

Sounds like a parts car...."title issues" is just another word for YOU HAVING TO SPEND MORE $ to make it legal. If you can do A LOT of the heavy work yourself then the scales start to possibly tip in your favor......"possibly" being the key word.

Buying it to make a few $ on parts....is it worth your time and trouble to make whatever you might?? You have to buy parts cars dirt cheap unless they happen to have some key or hard-to-find part that you need for some other car or will bring a lot of money for a quick initial recovery of your costs. How many parts have you pulled, advertised, sent pictures and descriptions for, packaged and shipped??? Not a particularly time-light endeavor.

Smaller parts can add up to some decent recovery...but how many small parts on the car are really decent. Seatbelts...typically fried from the weather or buckles rusted, etc....now all you have is some junk instead of decent sell-able small parts (just an example). Time intensive as well although easier to pack and ship.

Resist the urge is my advice unless the TOTAL "ALL IN" COST is low....purchase price, transporting, etc.....that's your REAL COST.

Mark already said the same thing above in a lot less words!!

Last edited by 70Post; April 8th, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old April 9th, 2012, 09:05 AM

Well, after letting my excitement subside for a few days and reading these responses, I've decided to pass on the F-85. As suggested, I'll continue to look for a more solid starting point. I really don't need a money pit at this point in time and you're probably right that even more rust will become evident as the disassembly got started. I guess there is a reason why the current owner bought it as a parts car in the first place. In the meantime, I'll continue working with what I have. I appreciate the responses. Thanks!
Old April 9th, 2012, 09:49 AM

I am also looking for a 70 F-85 post car,My parents bought their first new car a nugget gold,350,2bbl,bench seat,3 on the tree car .It got totaled out in 1972 from a drunk driver t bone pass side accident.My mom and dad still yearn for a replacement.The stories of this car is also what made me an Olds nut. I would appriciate any leads on a car similar to this.
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:05 AM

This 69 post just sold at BJ for $6,600. Why anyone would restore something other than a high dollar "collector" car in this market is beyond me

Last edited by allyolds68; April 9th, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:47 AM

I'd walk away from that unless it was real cheap. I ended up with a 70 F-85 post several years ago and pulled the fenders, door and fiberglass hood from it and tossed the rest. It needed WAAAAAYYYYY too much work. All floorboards, trunk pan, both inner and outer wheel houses and quarters were gone. frame was bad on it too. For it just being a F-85 it was not worth it to me to save it.