General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

'70 Exhaust tip alignment

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2018, 05:13 AM

'70 Exhaust tip alignment

Well, I got to the end of my painted bumper swap project and everything fit perfectly - and best yet everything works. But the passenger side exhaust tip cannot be aligned correctly using the same brackets as I had before, which is odd. It's a good 3/8" too far inward, while the driver's side is absolutely perfect. I'm not sure what I'm missing here - at the moment I'm heading to Home Depot to get a longer bolt and a spacer and move the tail pipe bracket out from the frame 3/8". Nothing changed, nothing loosened - the pipes are welded together all the way back. How do the tips not match up like before, and are there any adjustments to make to center the tips in the cut outs? I'm probably just the victim of old parts that have been twisted and straightened over the years.... I just didn't want the whole thing to look jury-rigged when I spent so much time doing it right!

Old November 29th, 2018, 12:53 PM

Well, I took off the mounting bracket, put it on a vice and bent it. Now everything fits and I don't have a pile of washers underneath to make it look "half fast"....