The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Dual Exhaust for 1954 88

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2018, 09:51 AM

Dual Exhaust for 1954 88

As I'm getting to know the 88 I'm focusing in on the single exhaust and would really love to make this old boy breath a lot better.
It has the 324 has any done this mod or know of a link or thread to a set of headers that will work ?
Old June 12th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I put duals on my 54. The first thing you will have to do is cut openings on the front and rear of the X member on the left side since the muffler goes in the X member. Waldron Exhaust makes the pipes for the conversion and you can get it with or without mufflers. If you car has power steering it is going to be a tight fit on the left side and I put some header wrap on the exhaust where it goes by the steering box. They will need to know if you have power steering or not. I used Smitty's glasspacks for the nostalgia sound. I had the holes cut in the frame and then took it to my local muffler shop and had them install them. I bought all new pipes for both sides but if your current pipes are good you can probably get by with just buying the left side and the blockoff plate for the crossover. Here is the link to Waldron.

http://waldronexhaust.com/
Old June 12th, 2018, 04:56 PM

What redoldsman said. Your muffler shop guy will probably not do this twice for you it's a bit of a bitch to fit and bend and takes a lot of time. I used Flowmasters and like them a lot on my ride. Not to loud at 70 ish with just enough rumble on deceleration.

A alternate method is to mount the vacuum tank to the outside of the left hand frame rail between it and the inside rocker panel. There is just enough room there and it gets that big *** tank out of the way so a regular straight forward mounting can be achieved. I personally like the way redoldsman did his and mine is also done that way. It gets every thing up and out of the way though there are a bunch of twist and turns. So far the exhaust has found it's way out of the car..... Tedd
Old June 12th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

A couple things of interest. I first took my car to my muffler guy and he walked around under it and looked and then said "Glenn, I have been doing this for about 25 years and I have never seen a car I couldn't put duals on but I believe you have one". Tedd, you mention deceleration. Quite often when I am coming to a stop I will drop the car into Super and let off the gas. The Smitty's will start popping. My wife will get this smile on her face and look over and me and say "you will never grow up will you". At almost 72 I have no plans to. This is the stuff that makes these old cars fun and keeps us young.
Old June 13th, 2018, 06:44 AM

Puts a big smile on my adolescent face..... Tedd
Old June 13th, 2018, 08:24 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

oldhearse:
If you don't already have a factory shop manual, you need to buy this one. Ten bucks plus five for shipping is as cheap as you will ever see one. This is one of the most important things you can buy for your car.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Factory-GM-1...53.m1438.l2649
Old June 13th, 2018, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
oldhearse:
If you don't already have a factory shop manual, you need to buy this one. Ten bucks plus five for shipping is as cheap as you will ever see one. This is one of the most important things you can buy for your car.
Awesome thank you for the link i will be ordering that this evening.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Factory-GM-1...53.m1438.l2649