General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

70 cutlass supreme stereo

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2012, 11:06 AM

70 cutlass supreme stereo

Now that I have my cutlass back on the road I am eyeing the stereo next. I found a website called retrosound usa that makes stereos that will fit in to the factory setting with no cutting or modifying. The stereo they have says its good for 70-72 cutlass 442's. I assume that the stereo is the same for a cutlass supreme? I am refering to just the head unit no speakers. Does anyone know for sure that they would be the same? Does anyone have any other ideas or things they have done to a 70 cutlass convertible for the stereo? I am not willing to cut up my dash at all. I also found a site that makes speakers that slide under the seat for convertible's call custom autosound radios. I thought these looked pretty slick, they have a tweeter that faces towards the front of the car and a small sub as well. I am not looking for anything crazy loud, just something i can hear while driving that sounds good. Any thoughts are ideas would be great. Thank you
Old May 15th, 2012, 11:13 AM

I am eyeing the Retrosound units myself. The Cutlass/442 should fit your Supreme, as long as it DOES fit the Cutlass/442!
I like the model one but there is a model two coming out in a few months that is supposed to have even more neat features. I am waiting for it to come out before I make a decision.

You might consider the kickpanel speakers, unless you want more factory look.
Old May 15th, 2012, 11:27 AM

Ya, my car only had the single speaker in the middle of the dash up top. I don't want to add anything to it thats why I thought just buying the ones that would slide under the seat would be perfect.
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Finn5033
Ya, my car only had the single speaker in the middle of the dash up top. I don't want to add anything to it thats why I thought just buying the ones that would slide under the seat would be perfect.
Excellent idea on the speakers.

Keep in mind you need to have speakers in thr following configuration: 1,2 or 4.

There is a front speaker replacement that has 2 smaller speakers in the package 1 originally came in (referring to the single dash speaker).
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:21 PM

Does anyone have any feedback on Custom Autosound?

http://www.casmfg.com/index.htm
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

I had two 3" speakers, that we never used for my sons car, that I bolted together and made a thin metal frame to go around the perimeter which sits atop of the factory mounting bracket with screws going through the factory holes to keep it in place. It took a little time to fit it but the a/c duct clears it. However, they by themselves will not give you much base.