General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

'70-'72 Cutlass 442 Overflow bottle

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2012, 04:38 PM

'70-'72 Cutlass 442 Overflow bottle

Hey Guys, What determined if a car got an overflow bottle? I haven't seen that many and was wondering what cooling system got it or was it an over-the-counter item. I have seen H/D cooling on various applications and MOST don't have the jug. Anybody know for sure? My '72 442 "U"-code has one and was curious. And here's another good one---did you guys know that not all battery trays were the same? The same car (a 455 auto) has a larger battery tray than my '72 350 4speed. The 455 car also has remnants of cruise control---some of the parts are missing, but the stuff under the dash on the gas pedal are still there. That "U" code car is kinda an odd-ball. An "S" model post, "U"-code 455, Auto, W-25, A/C, vinyl top, SS111, anti-slip, cruise control, and......... the only way to get that model was with a bench seat--no buckets in a post "S".
Anyway, if anyone knows the answer on the overflow jug, please chime in.
Old May 6th, 2012, 05:54 PM

Hi Dave
I don't have the answer but will bring your post back to the top. I can also say that over the years I've owned 20+ of the 1970-72 Cutlass variations and none came with the overflow tank. I did find one in a wrecking yard maybe 25 years ago, but don't remember the details on the car. John
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:07 PM

Overflow bottle

My 71 convertible has an overflow bottle. I read that the bottle was a $7.50 option simply added by the owner when ordering the vehicle, people also got them for free from the dealerships if they were experiencing overheating problems. I'm looking for a replacement for mine but the repro I think looks like crap and costs $250.
Old May 7th, 2012, 12:23 AM

If you guys aren't too concerned with originality you can always use a washer bottle mounted to the passenger side and then drill a hole in the top of the cap to put a hose into. It looks like it could be OEM but we know it really isn't
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:23 AM

What did the 69 overflow bottle look like. Was it the plastic one that is being offered by numerous parts stores?
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:40 AM

70s did not come with an overflow tank, 71 was an option I believe.

Battery trays for 350s were installed parallel to the bumper the 455s received larger trays and went in parallel to the fender. That's why on most 455s the windshield fluid bottle is on the passenger side - 350s mounted it on the drivers side.
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:29 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
Hey Guys, What determined if a car got an overflow bottle? I haven't seen that many and was wondering what cooling system got it or was it an over-the-counter item. I have seen H/D cooling on various applications and MOST don't have the jug. Anybody know for sure? My '72 442 "U"-code has one and was curious. And here's another good one---did you guys know that not all battery trays were the same? The same car (a 455 auto) has a larger battery tray than my '72 350 4speed. The 455 car also has remnants of cruise control---some of the parts are missing, but the stuff under the dash on the gas pedal are still there. That "U" code car is kinda an odd-ball. An "S" model post, "U"-code 455, Auto, W-25, A/C, vinyl top, SS111, anti-slip, cruise control, and......... the only way to get that model was with a bench seat--no buckets in a post "S".
Anyway, if anyone knows the answer on the overflow jug, please chime in.
The overflow tank was a freebie at the dealership like Itmonson said. The '72 Cutlass S was available with Strato bucket seats in '72 unless it was a more door just not in green or gold and no gold bucket seats period for '72. What's the cowl tag interior code?

Originally Posted by ltmonson
My 71 convertible has an overflow bottle. I read that the bottle was a $7.50 option simply added by the owner when ordering the vehicle, people also got them for free from the dealerships if they were experiencing overheating problems. I'm looking for a replacement for mine but the repro I think looks like crap and costs $250.
X2
Old May 7th, 2012, 12:35 PM

My 72 Cutlass doesn't have one either. As stated above it was a freebie from the dealer if requested, but now again as above the repros are $200+. I would like to get ahold of an orginal over flow tank, however AutoValue has a universal for about $20 for the interim.
Old May 7th, 2012, 01:56 PM

As for the bucket seats; Yes in a hardtop "S", No in a post or two door sedan "S". I know it does sound a little weird but it is true.