General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

70-72 console lighting, why 3 different bulbs 🤔

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2020, 09:01 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

70-72 console lighting, why 3 different bulbs 🤔

Anyone? Anyone? ...the Great Depression, passed the... Anyone? Anyone? The tariff bill? The Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act? Which, anyone? Raised or lowered? ...raised tariffs, in an effort to collect more revenue for the federal government. Did it work? Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?

Why the hell did they stuff three different bulbs into the console. Looks like 1895 up front for PRND, 1893 for the console interior, and 89 for the rear facing hump (of course deleted in 4speed cars). Wacky!

Old September 25th, 2020, 09:22 PM

I first thought different candlepower for appropriate lighting in the different areas, but after researching the different bulbs two are the same cp so that doesn't appear to be the reason. The brighter lamp for the console rear footwell lighting makes sense, though.

1895 = 2 cp, life = 5000 hr
1893 = 2 cp, life = 7500 hr.
89 = 6 cp, Life = 750 hr.

Are you certain the 1895 and 1893 are the correct bulbs per the Owners Manual?
If so, maybe the different areas had different designers that didn't communicate with each other?

Last edited by Fun71; September 25th, 2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old September 25th, 2020, 09:30 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Originally Posted by Fun71
Different candlepower for appropriate lighting in the different areas, maybe?

Of course, that’s the logical, sensible answer - but not very convenient, almost forgot our cars were designed by engineers, not bean counters!

Can anyone share a photo of all three illuminated in their console?
Old September 25th, 2020, 10:11 PM

Different bulbs for different geometrical areas as well as brightness. As well as different reflectors.
Old September 26th, 2020, 10:15 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

Yup, back then design was specific to application. Not sure that happens too much these days - utilize whatever's in the parts bin.

These incandescents gets so hot so fast I’m surprised the whole console isn’t melted. LED time 👍

EDIT: Posting lamp usage info and console wiring schematic from CSM, FYI.

Last edited by vCode442; September 26th, 2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old September 26th, 2020, 10:21 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

Originally Posted by Fun71
I first thought different candlepower for appropriate lighting in the different areas, but after researching the different bulbs two are the same cp so that doesn't appear to be the reason. The brighter lamp for the console rear footwell lighting makes sense, though.

1895 = 2 cp, life = 5000 hr
1893 = 2 cp, life = 7500 hr.
89 = 6 cp, Life = 750 hr.

Are you certain the 1895 and 1893 are the correct bulbs per the Owners Manual?
If so, maybe the different areas had different designers that didn't communicate with each other?

Good points, thanks for the research - those bulbs may not be the correct ones, checking before I order LEDs
Old September 27th, 2020, 05:22 AM
RWK

I know, it's crazy, my 72 D88 Royale convert has at least 4 different bulbs in the int. just got done going tru and cleaning connections and such, 4 1893s in blue dash down light, tube style 562 in light above radio, big bulbs in under dash and rear, 90s, door courtesy,211-2s,, 2 ash tray lights more 1893s !
Old September 28th, 2020, 09:50 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

So I got the rear console LED courtesy light in - illuminates with front and rear courtesy lights when doors open. Looks great, and I’m not worried about melting the rear console lens anymore.

Now the two other bulbs operate via different sources, the forward facing bulb coming from inside console to PRND on my dualgate, and should illuminate when lights are on, right?

The third console bulb, at the rear - oriented vertically on top illuminates into the interior, and theoretically lights only when the console is open - and shuts off when console is closed.

I’ve had three or four console cars and do not ever recall this light functioning. How about other AUTO console owners - do all three of these lights function? Love to see a photo with lights on, car door and console open - and viola, all three lights illuminated. Lets see🤨

Last edited by vCode442; September 29th, 2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old September 29th, 2020, 09:39 AM

I don't have pictures but yes, all console lights on my car operate as they should.
Shift indicator turns on along with headlights/parking lights.
Console light turns on when console lid is open.
Rear footwell light turns on along with other courtesy lights.
Old September 29th, 2020, 11:14 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by vCode442
So I got the rear console LED courtesy light in - illuminates with front and rear courtesy lights when doors open. Looks great, and I’m not worried about melting the rear console lens anymore.

Now the two other bulbs operate via different sources, the forward facing bulb coming from inside console to PRND on my dualgate, and should illuminate when lights are on, right?

The third console bulb, at the rear - oriented vertically on top illuminates into the interior, and theoretically lights only when the console is open - and shuts off when console is closed.

I’ve had three or four console cars and do not ever recall this light functioning. How about other AUTO console owners - do all three of these lights function? Love to see a photo with lights on, car door and console open - and viola, all three lights illuminated. Lets see🤨
I'm not gonna answer because of the "bean counters vs engineers" jab. You realize us "bean counters" would have NO INPUT into bulb usage, right?

OK, I'll answer, only to confirm Fun71's response -- his description is exactly how my console lights function as well.
Old September 29th, 2020, 05:46 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

I’ve got it all sorted out, thanks folks for your input - and no disrespect meant to any accountants or finance guys, in fact I was a finance /accounting major until switching my junior year. I especially enjoyed the big eight coming onto campus - and paradoxically not worrying about money while courting us at the Deer Park Tavern 👍

Bean counter: a person, typically an accountant or bureaucrat, perceived as placing excessive emphasis on controlling expenditure and budgets.

Old September 30th, 2020, 08:16 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by vCode442
I’ve got it all sorted out, thanks folks for your input - and no disrespect meant to any accountants or finance guys, in fact I was a finance /accounting major until switching my junior year. I especially enjoyed the big eight coming onto campus - and paradoxically not worrying about money while courting us at the Deer Park Tavern 👍

Bean counter: a person, typically an accountant or bureaucrat, perceived as placing excessive emphasis on controlling expenditure and budgets.
I was just bustin' yer chops. Deer Park Tavern... is that north of Chicago? My company has a satellite location in Deer Park.
Old September 30th, 2020, 09:37 AM

Is there a conversion table somewhere for the original to LED bulbs, Thanks
Old September 30th, 2020, 02:40 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Originally Posted by Weezer
I was just bustin' yer chops. Deer Park Tavern... is that north of Chicago? My company has a satellite location in Deer Park.

Say it ain’t so Weezer!

All in good fun, I’m from suburban Philly, and the Deer Park Tavern referenced above is the former Saint Patrick’s Inn - from circa 1747, located in Newark Delaware - home of the fightin’ Blue Hens/University of Delaware.
Old September 30th, 2020, 02:42 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Originally Posted by green1972
Is there a conversion table somewhere for the original to LED bulbs, Thanks
A Google search with the original bulb number, followed by ‘LED’ should be helpful. I’ve learned there are some really cheap ones out there, don’t waste your money - read reviews and search forums for high-quality bulbs. Good luck!