General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

70 442 Door Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2017, 09:25 AM

70 442 Door Won't Open

I took my wife out for her first ride in the car. She climbs in the passenger seat and shuts the door. I tell her that I don't think the door is shut all the way so she opens it up and slams it shut REALLY hard. I bite my tongue and we go about our way. When she goes to get out she tells me the door won't open. I get out and try from the outside with no luck. It sounds like the linkage is moving inside the door but it just won't open. I hope this is not going to be a major ordeal. I want to enter a car show this Sunday and would really like to have a functioning door. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 16th, 2017, 02:36 PM

Your latch inside the rear of the door may be defective. Usually it happens to the driver door as it gets used MUCH more than the pass. side but I suppose it could happen to the pass. side also. I'm sure you already tried messing with the inside handle, out side handle & lock **** in various orders to try to get it to work. You might have to carefully remove the door panel & see what is not happening with the mechanism. The door panel can be removed with the door shut but you will not be happy doing it.
Old May 17th, 2017, 03:52 AM

Crisis Averted

Well don't I feel stupid. After freaking out and starting to rip the door panel apart I figured out that the door was just stuck on the sill. No damage to the sill or the paint on the underside or the door. I'm thinking the bottom of the door panel was hung up???
I really can't figure it out but it now opens and closes with no issues.
I think I'll be a gentleman and open the door for my wife from here out.