General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

"69 S factory floor shft question

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2011, 08:55 PM

Location: from Wisc, then Texas, then Kansas, now back to Texas,
"69 S factory floor shft question

I need to know if the floor shifter (automatic) is connected to the steering column and steering wheel lock ???????
Old January 6th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Oldsdruid

It is. It's part of the anti-theft steering & transmission lock.
Old January 6th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by knighthawk
I need to know if the floor shifter (automatic) is connected to the steering column and steering wheel lock ???????
Federal law has required the shifter to be locked with the key on all cars since the 1969 model year, so yes, there should be a backdrive linkage from the trans to the steering column.
Old January 6th, 2011, 09:17 AM

OK , so I understand this, also how it all is to work... then does the collor or base that had the 'nub' ( now removed) , for the shifter lever, does this peice rotate every time you move the shifter ? or maybe just at 'park' ?
Old January 6th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

OK , so I understand this, also how it all is to work... then does the collor or base that had the 'nub' ( now removed) , for the shifter lever, does this peice rotate every time you move the shifter ? or maybe just at 'park' ?
This link has some photos of the backdrive linkage.

http://www.slyagent.com/tech/bdrl.htm

The rod is connected to the trans shift lever and moves any time the shifter is moved, so yes it moves in every gear, not just park. The "nub" at the base of the steering column rotates the shift bowl (collar) on the steering column and locks in the park position when the key is removed. If you have removed the backdrive linkage and cut the nub, you should pin the inner tube in the steering column. If it vibrates out of position, you won't be able to remove the key.
Old January 6th, 2011, 10:24 AM

thanks , good picture.... so... I need ALL of the old shift linkage from the column,, and add the cable from the console. I have to put back in the crossshaft, was hoping use that space for adjustabkle proportioning valve, Oh , well , back to the drawing board .... At the tranny, I recieved an arm with only 2 holes in it from the guy I got the shifter assy from, I assume then, I have to combine this lever with original ""U"" shaped original part. I may need to know the hole spacing. As to the column and lock, I did remove the nub, and the bowl is ready for reassembley. If I put it all back together, like it was, ( if I can ) all should work ???????
Old January 6th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

OK, I misunderstood your use of "nub". You're talking about the bump where the shift lever attaches to the column. I thought you were talking about the tab at the base of the column on the engine side of the firewall.

The bracket on the trans that has both the hole for the shift cable and the two ears for the backdrive linkage is unique to 1969-up floor shift cars. The one you have is a 1968-older bracket. You either need the correct bracket or you'll need to weld the two you have together. Line up the hole that goes over the shaft on the trans and you'll have the proper alignment of the tabs. The rest of your column shift linkage is the same as the backdrive linkage parts, so just reuse them. If you are reinstalling this backdrive linkage, ignore my prior comment about pinning the collar to the rest of the column. That only applies if you are leaving the backdrive linkage off (as is often required with headers).
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Registered

The shift bowl or collar where the old shifter lever was will turn when you move the floor shifter since it's connected to the lever on the bottom through the shift tube in the column. The back drive linkage also controls your reverse lights and neutral safety switch on the lower column, unless '69 is different than later years, so good to have. My '68 GTO has all that electrical stuff on the dual gate floor shifter, nothing locked with the dash ignition switch but the switch itself when you shut it off in '68, now too.
I don't know if that shift bowl moves on a regular floor shift column too, never had one with a column lock so beats me?

Inline Tube has that shift lever and the other back drive linkage parts.
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bluevista
The back drive linkage also controls your reverse lights and neutral safety switch on the lower column, unless '69 is different than later years,
Actually, it is different. The NSS is still on the shifter for 1969. And you don't need to buy new parts, since the backdrive linkage is just the column shift linkage.
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:53 PM

I got the wiring harnesses from Year One or OPGi, that connect to the console, mainly for the console lites, but it also has wires for the neutral switch and backup lites , guess I could use the column switches ..... as long as I'm using the steering wheel lock ? now.........where did I put that cross shaft........... As how I have the motor and tranny out on the floor, the final linkage will have to be at a later time, but I need to get the column back together now................thanks.......just seems like to me, alot of extra resistance when using the floor shift .... wouldn't it make it shift harder ????
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

wouldn't it make it shift harder ????
Not that you will notice.