General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

69 Cutlass nose design

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2019, 07:51 PM

69 Cutlass nose design

Why does it look like every 69 cutlass has bumped into a telephone pole and stumped it's nose? Is this seriously the way the styling engineers planned it? Is there a way to fix it or do owners just need to get over it?

Old November 27th, 2019, 03:33 AM

Because almost every new car today is basically flat in the front and rear, with zero style. I’m guessing a majority of today’s drivers are unfamiliar with old iron with curves, real bumpers, and other styling characteristics that make old iron appealing. Those same styling characteristics make it harder to judged where the front of the car really is, people either bump into it, or new drivers bump into things. Assuming it’s not serious collision damage, it’s not hard to straighten. My 69 had the bumper nose tilted back when I first bought it. I loosened all the mounting bolts, used a couple ratchet straps and a tree, and tighten the straps until the bumper was titled a little too far forwad, then tightened all the bolts. When the ratchets straps were removed, the bumper relaxer into acceptable alignment.
Old November 27th, 2019, 06:37 AM

Thanks Matt, agree about the styling of modern day cars.

The 69 is otherwise so sleek, I've just always been put off a bit by the front bumper. Glad to know it can be fixed.
Old November 27th, 2019, 08:50 AM

I'll disagree with the modern styling and modern drivers comment.

The split grille was first introduced in that year; it is sometimes hard to make everything absolutely right on the first attempt. This is why the 70 fang is much different aesthetically, and the 71/72 is much different mechanically. It is hard to control the alignment of something just sticking out into space, it either needs to be braced, or not stick out.
Old November 27th, 2019, 11:00 AM

I have wondered the same thing about my 69 bumper. Maybe I'll find a tree next spring.

Steve
Old November 27th, 2019, 11:09 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I have seen it successfully vertically aligned on a 69. One has to be aware of this during the bodywork bumper alignment stage. It can be done but more often isn't. I have a pic of one somewhere from a similar angle with it aligned. It looks great without the goofy bent-in look. Obviously the bumper and the tooth need tweaking to accomplish this. Not exactly sure how.

What would be cool is if a Foose, Strope, Kindig etc... got ahold of one and massaged the front end geometry to get rid of the underbite. It would be subtitle and would require a ton of work. I would envision setting it up like a 71 where the tooth isn't on the hood. The bumper would need to be tucked and the hood lengthed a bit. Of course, the domino effect would be large as everything else would need customizing. Someone has software to render this digitally.

This is the main reason I gravitate towards 68s. No tooth and love the horizontal taillights. But I do like 69s as well. Dad had a 69, 70 & 71. I favored the 71 over the other two. Maybe because of the front end and maybe because of the Saturn gold?
Old November 27th, 2019, 11:18 AM

GM wanted to make sure everyone that worked under the hood cracked their head. Please don't ask me what the pool noodle in my shop is for
Old November 27th, 2019, 11:28 AM

Seriously, I think they removed the tooth for just that reason. I tend to get rather pissed when I bump it. Pool noodle huh, I was was considering a foam wrap I could slip on while working.

Steve
Old November 27th, 2019, 12:51 PM

I’m 6’ 1”, and have owned my car since 88. I’m guessing a cracked my head on the hood a few times when I first got the car, I guess I’m use to the hood design now.

i got a trouble light that has telescopic hooks that clamp the outside edge of the hood, I position it up close to the front, near the tooth, and rotate the light so it shines towards the rear. My buddies tell me that helps keep them aware of the hood.

Good lord, don’t let Foose anywhere near my car!! While I can respect his talent, I despise his automotive tastes. Old iron is suppose to have chrome, I don’t like huge rims, and don’t care for his loud 2 tone paint styling. It seems he always strips off all the chrome, minimum 17 inch rims, uses too many colors and stripes. No thanks.
Old November 27th, 2019, 02:01 PM

Who is Chip Foose ?
Old November 27th, 2019, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
GM wanted to make sure everyone that worked under the hood cracked their head. Please don't ask me what the pool noodle in my shop is for
If you live down there and you have a pool noodle, you have a pool. Right?
Old November 27th, 2019, 05:15 PM

Got this picture from a oldsmobile article in a magazine. Looks like the designers intended for the bumper to be more integrated with the body.

Old November 28th, 2019, 06:36 AM

That looks a whole lot better than the stub nose effect.

Steve
Old November 28th, 2019, 07:04 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

That's exactly what I'm talking about.
Old November 28th, 2019, 07:59 AM

Are you sure that isn't a Chip Foose rendition? I wish mine looked like that. I went in the and took a look at mine. I'd have to drop the bumper a 1/2" and push it in an inch. The tooth lands behind the bumper. And my roofline looks nothing like that pic, it is a cool pic.

Steve
Old November 30th, 2019, 05:51 PM

The 68 and 69 are just works of art in my opinion, not taking anything away from other model years its just that I enjoy the sleek lines. I know others prefer the sharper lines of 64 to 67 or the bolder lines of the 70 to 72.
The nose of the 69 looks good if adjusted correctly its just that a lot have suffered with minor collision damage or poor alignment practice.

Old November 30th, 2019, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Phoenix8990
Are you sure that isn't a Chip Foose rendition? I wish mine looked like that. I went in the and took a look at mine. I'd have to drop the bumper a 1/2" and push it in an inch. The tooth lands behind the bumper. And my roofline looks nothing like that pic, it is a cool pic.

Steve
All convertible models have a line of there own do to the soft top.
I'm with others on Chips take on some of the cars that he did . Over use of plastic filler,color. stripes and aftermarket parts.
But in his defense it was show biz and people like over the top.
Talented nice guy, I did enjoy the show when it was on cable.