General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

'68 442 Carpet color question

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2017, 04:37 PM

'68 442 Carpet color question

My '68 442 convertible is Teal Frost with Teal bucket seat interior. The Trim code on the cowl tag is "949" which indicates Teal color bucket seat interior. I would consider the interior color a medium teal.

Now my question, should the new carpet color match the seat color or should it be darker teal like my dashboard. The previous owner changed the carpet and put in a medium blue carpet which is ok, but I would like it to look more as originally produced.

Therefore, should the new carpet color match the seats and console (more medium teal) or should it be a contrasting dark teal color.

Thanks for your help here.
Phil
Old February 28th, 2017, 10:24 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Might come down to what is reproduced. In a teal gut, I'd like to see a matching teal or black carpet. Match the seats and console IMO. Have you looked for any remaining remnants of the original carpet? No telling what the factory contrast was. Interiors other than black, white and pearl; such as the gold, blue, red and green etc... were a Hodge podge of different shades in that particular hue. Consider footwell liners too. Bet it's near if not impossible to find matching footwell liners in teal whereas black is common place. Try Fusick, Legendary Interiors, and Year One. Its likely a custom order color and you should request samples. If the color was more common in a Buick or Chevy look there too. Legendary is king in interiors, not sure they have Oldsmobile specific. Auto Color Library dot com will list the color codes and paint codes for the dash and steering column. Is the whole dash teal or teal cover with the black lower section. What color is the vert top frame? I don't recall ever seeing a 68 vert w/a 100% teal interior. Are you sure the console and seat backs haven't been color dyed? Definitely interested in seeing some good pics of this car.
Old February 28th, 2017, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the info. Most of the interior is still original and in great condition. Previous owner made the console and seat backs a bright blue which does not match the original seats and door panels too well. I did contact Legendary and they are sending me a swatch of medium teal and a darker teal blue. I am thinking of going with the darker color but will wait to see the swatches in hand.

I have attached a picture of the car and you can see the teal color top of the seats. Have no other pictures at this time of just the interior.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1968 Olds 442 - L side.JPG (3.69 MB, 16 views)
Old March 1st, 2017, 09:43 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I really dig that color. Nice paint!
Old March 1st, 2017, 11:58 AM

Thanks! Car was painted 12yrs ago and still looks great. After 12yrs, if there was any shoddy body work done, it would certainly be showing by now. that's why we bought it.

Phil
Old March 1st, 2017, 12:20 PM

FWIW
My trophy blue, blue, blue, blue and blue 69 drop top has the darker blue carpet.
dash, steering wheel, console, seats and door panels are lighter blue
Old March 1st, 2017, 04:31 PM

I am leaning to the darker teal/blue myself. I think it will make the seats and door panels stand out better.

phil
Old March 2nd, 2017, 12:40 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Phil, what color is the vert top frame? I've seen some of the lighter colored cars with a color on the top frame. Of the 2 I have seen in person the owners insisted that it was from the factory. I thought 68-69 were all black?
Old March 2nd, 2017, 12:52 PM

My 69 top frame is dark blue.

Dang it, I'm starting to doubt my doubts

Now I need to go check
stand by
Old March 2nd, 2017, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Phil, what color is the vert top frame? I've seen some of the lighter colored cars with a color on the top frame. Of the 2 I have seen in person the owners insisted that it was from the factory. I thought 68-69 were all black?
My top frame looks Black to me.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 06:14 PM

The Muskrats new '68 has a willow gold interior with a willow gold frame...her teal interior '68 has a black frame.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 07:29 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Love to get to the bottom of this mystery? Was the top frame attached prior to paint then sprayed as a whole unit? Or was there some callout that designated certain colors got the painted to match frame? 99% of what I've seen in 68-69 was a black frame. Maybe it was plant specific??? I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the gut color, not the body color? I'm pretty sure one didn't have the option to chose? What do you all theorize? I had a Y color code 68 vert with a black frame. A friend had a color code 77, 69 with a black frame. And 99% of what I've seen at cruises and shows is black. I've seen a white 69 with a med blue gut with med blue frame and a Willow 68 with a willow gut with a willow frame. But I've also seen these same combos with black frames. The trippy 60s....
Old March 7th, 2017, 12:02 PM

Carpet color decision made.... Received some carpet samples for Legendary and they have a dark Teal that looks great with my seats and door panels. In fact matches my dash perfectly. I think I am going for it. They were great matching my interior on the convert boot color.

Thanks all!

Phl