General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

the 67 442 that did happen

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2010, 12:05 PM
67w30

the 67 442 that did happen

well we did find the same article that we have for april of 67 its at oldsmobilty.com under vintage road test A 4 OF A KIND which tells how dealer did in fact send 442 to mich, to get the hurst campell package.as it states it was a b/stocker and they came to the track also to change heads, air bags,and so on. now in fact hurst did play with the 67's and some of these cars got more than just heads and grears and NEW AUTO TRANS, changed out .the ad will tell you the main guys that were in this program.if you think that only one dealer did this your wrong , i cant speak for the car in illni, but i can for our cars for we in fact know the history, they may be more than 4 but thats all we evere could find.these cars did get out to the public this was a race program for all iam sure some dealers pulled the decals and sold the cars they were stock and streetable.and w 30s did have power brakes, we never said these cars were HURST OLDS but HURST EQUIPPED which means just that if they change the trans dont you think olds let them change motors around also.iam not trying to start problems but iam clearing some things up i know a lot of you dont get it but its in black and white hurst was involed in 67 with olds and the 442s thanks guys and gals
Old February 26th, 2010, 12:31 PM

Reading this it appears you are referring to another post somewhere as your post seems to start in mid sentance. What I read into this may be related to a post on another site trying to establish legitability on a 67 Hurst Oldsmobile that is for sale. I can say that yes, Hurst was involved with Oldsmobile in 1967. The 4spd cars used a Hurst shifter. That is about all for 1967. Anyone wanting to believe in a 67 Hurst edition 442 may do so at their own expense. Do not be surprised if you are laughed at or the BS meter pegs upon a sale or purchase of same.
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:09 PM
67w30

no not selling anything i do have one of the cars with papers the article is from april of 67 and it doesnt say anything about hurst shifter it says the car was sent to hurst campell i dont thing they would send cars their for a shifter or come to the track to switch one but thanks for input thats what were here for not to down anyone and their cars

Last edited by alsip455; February 26th, 2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: misspelled words
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:31 PM

The easiest way to prove your car is what you say, or said, or will say is to post the papers proving it. Your words and an article from 67 dont mean squat.
Old February 26th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Registered Luser

Does that article have any pics? If so, I'd like to see them posted.....
Old February 26th, 2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by alsip455
no not selling anything i do have one of the cars with papers the article is from april of 67
The article states that Hurst was hired to make some performance mods on their car campaigned by Century Olds. Is this the car you have as pictured in the article? They did one car for B stock It says no-where that another car was ever done. Do not assume there were more. What papers do you have with the car??

but thanks for input thats what were here for not to down anyone and their cars
We are here to find the truth and not spread rumor and untruth also know as shoe-shee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
67ho.JPG (30.2 KB, 39 views)
Old February 26th, 2010, 05:45 PM
"me somebody" site member

This is the full article:

http://www.oldsmobility.com/four442s.htm
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

I'm not sure what the point of this is (but punctuation and sentence structure would probably have helped...). The article describes how Hurst was paid to prepare a few race cars. So what? Hurst did this for several manufacturers in the 1960s. These were NOT production cars sold through dealerships. These were stock cars that were later modified for racing, not for resale. They were definitely not Hurst/Oldsmobiles. Olds built or contracted for lots of one-off cars. They were not production cars.
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:48 PM
67w30

read real close real close it says b/stockers were filtered into provinces all we can say it is what is and as far as the article says out loud that hurst was around in 67 and not just a shifter i know you older guys seen the hurst van in the 60's at race tracks you younger guys in your 20's and 30's need to find more on olds not just one or 2 years i post this to talk not say harsh words to anyone iam 100percent olds man the pms i get say that it is the guys on here that do this and i agree we should keep it clean so we dont get locked out ive met some good people on here
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:04 PM

read real close real close it says b/stockers were filtered into provinces all we can say it is what is and as far as the article says out loud that hurst was around in 67 and not just a shifter i know you older guys seen the hurst van in the 60's at race tracks you younger guys in your 20's and 30's need to find more on olds not just one or 2 years i post this to talk not say harsh words to anyone iam 100percent olds man the pms i get say that it is the guys on here that do this and i agree we should keep it clean so we dont get locked out ive met some good people on here

Was California a Canadian province back then? READ the article and youll see that Olds sent three cars to them to test then the B/S car showed up. Thats what they mean by filtered into their provinces.

Again post the documents that you say you have to prove what you say you have.

And please answer me this question, how are those Hurst badges applied to your car.
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:08 PM

My God...it IS there...right in print..."and then B/S filtered into our provinces"...NO one here doubts that Dung's car is 100 percent BS.
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:23 PM
67w30

they are die cast and bolted to fenders and trunk on both the cars we have your right joe the dealer didnt sell these cars they just help get them terry oldsmobile of cincinnati had a b/s with hurst all over it answer this did the dealer send the 68 h/o to hurst and then hurst would shipp it to your front door after the car was done and did hurst do the engine swap from 400 to 455 at hurst
Old February 27th, 2010, 05:01 AM

No engine swap was required on the 68-69 H/Os since those cars came with a 455 installed by the factory. Not that has any bearing on the legitimacy of your car either. OR the Hurst Van. OR that article.

If you really want to convince us, just post those papers you say you have. And tell us the full history of your car (selling dealer, month it was built, what mods Hurst performed, etc etc) rather than playing quizmaster.
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:13 AM

See picture below of a Hurst Equipped emblem. They are reproed now and were available in the late 60'S. You could slap as many as you wanted on your car. The Century car too is a stick shift car...B/S. A car with Hurst equipped emblems on it is nothing more than that.
Attached Images
2843_35.jpg (7.6 KB, 8 views)
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:45 AM

Without attempting to roll in the mud, if some claims are being made, some proof is necessary. People have been proven wrong before, so that means if your car is one of the four, show some documentation to back it up. Speculating that your car is something that appeared in a magazine in 1967 doesn't mean diddly.
Old February 27th, 2010, 08:18 AM

What I derived from the reprinted article was, that they had some Olds that were differently equipped and they took them out to the strip for some evaluation, played with the gears and tires, and the O.A.I. options, then proceded to tell us about it. Nothing in the article to indicate that these were as special factory prepped cars, nor anything to imply Hurst built them, just that they had Hurst shifters in a couple of them....but during this time what car didn't?
Old February 27th, 2010, 09:34 AM

Main Entry: prov·ince
Pronunciation: \ˈprä-vən(t)s\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin provincia
Date: 14th century

1 a : a country or region brought under the control of the ancient Roman government b : an administrative district or division of a country c plural : all of a country except the metropolises
2 a : a division of a country forming the jurisdiction of an archbishop or metropolitan b : a territorial unit of a religious order
3 a : a biogeographic division of less rank than a region b : an area that exhibits essential continuity of geological history; also : one characterized by particular structural or petrological features
4 a : proper or appropriate function or scope : sphere <that question is outside my province> b : a department of knowledge or activity synonyms see function
SEE 4a
Learn more about "province" and related topics at Britannica.com

Last edited by greenslade; February 27th, 2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: .
Old February 27th, 2010, 09:39 AM

Thanks for bringing all this back up. I loved reading about the Saffron Yellow car that had people "gawking" until out of sight. Shows where the Rallye 350 idea came from. I am also glad to hear all your factory installed 455, errr, now factory installed 425 and factory Hurst Olds blather has expired. I read nothing about a 425 in that article, by the way. Go with the Dealer Prepped story, impossible to prove either way.
Old February 27th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Past Administrator

I suspected this thread would go the way it has, as I read the first post almost immediately afterward. I have no comments on the subject but want to implore everyone to refrain from profanity in your posts. I have made a few edits already. Thanks.
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:26 AM

Dan, as a gesture of my appreciation for this site, I will refrain from acknowledging this guy's claims again (in this forum at least).

BUT NOT BEFORE stating my opinion that profanity notwithstanding, the thing that I find truly OBSCENE is the propagation of misinformation with regards to Oldsmobiles. The internet makes this, like the proliferation of mis-information of any kind (urban myths, pseudo-science, conspiracy throries, etc, etc) easier than ever before. Truth ends up getting diluted in the process.

Normally, I would say that such claims, made with no basis in fact, must be challenged. But in this case, its pretty clear that nothing of substance is even being offered up to rebut, so why bother? Like the old sayin goes, "Never wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty and the pig likes it!"

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; February 27th, 2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old February 27th, 2010, 02:11 PM
67w30

what i have

this is the paper i have which is in plastic and tells about the motor swap and how was picked up at the customers driveway all this was done by dealers not factory i hope this uploads as said the 68 h/o already had the motor in it went it got to them it doesnt tell which motor was installed but does tell you get a credit for the old motor i know alien will have to say his piece but thats his way as iam told
Attached Images
hurst olds 2 068.jpg (53.6 KB, 61 views)
Old February 27th, 2010, 02:29 PM

That's a start, do you have any paperwork that ties it to your car, like the vin on a reciept from Hurst?
Old February 27th, 2010, 03:14 PM
67w30

not really just a copy of the org, title and that the car was bought new by my dads brother which hes no longer with us, my dad and 2 of his brothers bought 67 442s' new and we still have them these things are hard to prove and i know this but it did happen and we have 2 of the cars. i took this car over in 1978 when i was 16 and wasnt able to drive until late 20's i was little to wild as my dad put it.
Old February 27th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

That proposal letter says that Hurst-Campbell will pick up the cars at the Lansing customer drive away, not the customer's driveway.
I believe the drive away was the place at the factory where you could pick up your new car in order to not have to pay the transportation charge.

Again, this document refers to a proposal for Hurst to modify customer-ordered 442's in late 1967. It is generally accepted that the Hurst/Olds program didn't come to fruition until the 1968 model year. I have never seen or heard of anything which would indicate this particular Hurst proposal ever actually happened during the 1967 model year.

BTW, that jpeg shows one page of a 2 page letter. I can't help wondering what the other page says.
Old February 27th, 2010, 03:33 PM

The bit about the motors was all smoke and mirrors to make it look on paper anyway that they were not installed at the factory.

Looks like a case of a little white out to change the date from 1968 to 1967, since the date would otherwise be about right.

Here's a remarkably similar case:

Inneresting how this alleged marketing bulletin announcing the limited availability of the setup on '65 cars is dated exactly one year to the day prior to the date of the well-known bulletin used to announce the L69 option for '66 cars. Many other details are identical to those on the real bulletin, including the list prices.
Old February 27th, 2010, 03:39 PM

The letter is somewhat interesting but states nothing about building 67 442's. It is mere correspondance and perhaps a proposal. It almost hints to what could be done to create a H/O which was not done till later in 1968.
Old February 28th, 2010, 07:20 AM
67w30

it does say customers drive way in 2nd paragraph last 2 lines, march of 1967 isnt late in the year h/o cars arleay had the motors in them when they got there this isnt a whiteout its real only you alien would be a ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' about this, i have nothing to prove to you, this is for the real olds guys not a knowitall.which i dont think you do at all.this letter was typed no white here face it your wrong.good try though like the way you keep trying though. we dont have page 2 it says 442s and march of 67 you cant be that slow, we know the cars are real thats all that counts. thanks oldsmaniac you have a open mine as said these arent factory buy dealer cars
Old February 28th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Wow, i cant even comprehend what you are trying to say.
Old February 28th, 2010, 09:14 AM

I don't want to sink far into a controversy that I don't understand. 4-4-2's used Hurst 4-speed shifters so I guess that makes them Hurst-equipped!
Hurst people, meaning Dave Landrith and Paul Phelps, were "involved" in the genesis of the 1966 W30; see August 1966 Car Craft. It is not stated whether they were involved in design or just "fitting and testing" of prototype parts, as can be seen in the article.
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:22 PM
67w30

run to rund hurst did use more than shifters on olds they used hurst wheels ,air bags schocks,and other products that made it hurst equipped the article i have was in the papers i got when i got the car over 30 years ago this tells more than just wheels motor swaps and so on its there in black & white these this went on all the time iam sure there more than well ever know.dealers pulled this off not factory
Old February 28th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Trying to remember member

run to rund hurst did use more than shifters on olds they used hurst wheels ,air bags schocks,and other products that made it hurst equipped the article i have was in the papers i got when i got the car over 30 years ago this tells more than just wheels motor swaps and so on its there in black & white these this went on all the time iam sure there more than well ever know.dealers pulled this off not factory
You are talking to someone who along with me and others here that are quite familiar with Hurst products, dealer preps, George Hurst, Bill Campbell, and the Hurst-Campbell company. And that is exactly why you are being questioned. We don't need a history lesson on things we already know.
We are asking what was done to your car, by who, what documentation you have (that is supporting papers that confirm what was done to *your* car) and how that makes yours one of 4. That's all.
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:22 PM
67w30

kurt i know you guys are up on olds not trying to be the bad guy like i had said thier were more than four iam sure but there so
much we dont know also, this artical was in the car when i got it .iam going by what was told 30 years ago when i got this car from a dealer who sold the car, whish i did have a lot more but dont iam trying to find old pics that my aunt had when they had the car.
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:41 PM

Is it possible that your aunt might have the paperwork somewhere?
Old February 28th, 2010, 05:28 PM
67w30

yes that what she lookin for hope we fine more i do have the orgn title and pro-plate