General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Watch your maintenance and not just on your cars.

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2010, 11:04 PM
car guy

Watch your maintenance and not just on your cars.

Being lazy is going to cost me. I've owned my car trailer for 9 years now and it might get used 4-6 times a year but sometimes its a pretty long trip. It seem like forever I have been telling myself to pull it apart and pack and adjust the bearings but there was always something better to do. Well today I finally had a nice day and got out there to do it. When I jacked it up and could move the wheels over 1/2" on the hub I got a sick feeling. Well luckily I never had a failure but the inner bearing had started eating into the shoulder of the hub creating more clearance and adding freeplay. I will now have to buy two axles at 100.00 ea before I can feel like my trailer is safe to use again.
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:39 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Pack wheel bearings with every brake job. Use high temp disc brake bearing grease on disc brake cars ...
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Mine get done every spring before the first use.
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:50 AM

That takes all the fun out of doing in the rain on the side of the road with traffic 8" from your Bum. Andy
Old February 28th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Registered

I worked at a trailer rental place in high school and most all I did was pack wheel bearings and replace races.
Put a glob of grease in the palm of your hand and shave it off with the bearing edge like shaving your face to push that grease all the way through, or use a bearing packer. New are not greased even though they may be covered with it, still have to grease them again. If there are any scores or dark spots on the bearings or races get new ones.

Bearing failures were the biggest safety concern where I worked, had to document every bearing number and all service and intervals.
The speed and weight limit on those rental trailers is there for a good reason. How many U-Hauls have you seen on the freeway going 70 with the 45 MPH max speed warnings all over them? Even backwards on the fenders so you can see it in the mirror.
Old February 28th, 2010, 06:40 AM

Ouch.... Glad you found out now in the comforts of the driveway. Nasty jobs like packing wheel bearings are always put off it seems.
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:40 AM
71 cutlass convertible

At the nursery we had just bought a brand new tracking wagon(about 5 years ago) after a couple of months the wheels were not turning smooth. They forgot to pack the wheels from the factory. We got new bearings and an apology.
Larry
Old February 28th, 2010, 09:02 AM

I don't own a trailer anymore but the last one I did own the previous owner had installed a set of boat trailer zerk fitting hubs on each axle. You used your grease gun to add grease to the axle bearings worked neat.
Old February 28th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Bluevista
...Put a glob of grease in the palm of your hand and shave it off with the bearing edge like shaving your face to push that grease all the way through....

One of the first skills my father taught me when I was a kid, a person can never under-rate the value of some of the simplest mechanic's skills. That is one of a ba-jillion things I am indebted to him for and so grateful.
Old February 28th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by Bluevista
The speed and weight limit on those rental trailers is there for a good reason. How many U-Hauls have you seen on the freeway going 70 with the 45 miles per hour max speed warnings all over them? Even backwards on the fenders so you can see it in the mirror.
I love watching them jump 8 " off the ground when people are going 90mph with them empty.
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:56 AM

One of the first skills my father taught me when I was a kid, a person can never under-rate the value of some of the simplest mechanic's skills. That is one of a ba-jillion things I am indebted to him for and so grateful.
My dad didn't teach me anything when I was a kid. I was still holding the shop light when I was 17 years old. I guess he never trusted me.