General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

66 Starfire, time to get back at it

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2010, 06:49 AM

66 Starfire, time to get back at it

Well, it looks like my bike is sold. I should have a few grand to put into the 66 Starfire. I have to warn you all, it will not be a resto. Unfortunatly it is a bit too far gone and i dont have near enough money to restore it. I am going for a mild custom 60's styled hot rod. Something I can cruise and enjoy without freaking out about a little scratch or who is standing too close to it.

I got the car last december, it ran well but needed a lot of a body work. Luckily a friend of mine has a great shop i could use to work on it. Here is how it looked when i picked it up.

I learned a lot about about body work and unfortunatly a little too much about bondo. Like I said I just wanted a low buck cruiser and didnt want it off the road too long. It was painted in the 70's with numerous thick coates of paint (6 total coats to be exact). I spent 8 hours with a DA and 40 grit paper just to get the roof down to metal. At this point my friend needed his paint booth back, so we left a lot of character on the lower body(Thats what I am calling the dings and cracked paint we didnt have time to fix). We sprayed it single stage flat black, then had a different friend pinstripe it. I only have one pic of the hood here, I will update with more pics soon.

He did the trunk and both doors by the door handles.

Since my friend has a lift in his shop and needed his paint booth, I decided to address the suspension. When i got it, the springs had been heated and all 4 were collapsed. I used the springs we took out of a 62 caddy that we bagged. I cut 2 coils off each and put them back in, it rides much better now and has a rake to it. Future plans include an adjustable suspension.

Since I will actually have some cash I can start doing a few more things to it. First thing on the list is brackets from scarebird for disk brakes. After that I am going to adress the interior. I am looking for replacement seat covers to match the stock black seats. Next I am going to focus on getting the air conditioning runnning and if funds permit an adjustable suspension.

I am excited to get started and look forward to asking lots of questions. I have always enjoyed chebbies, but am really getting into this unique Olds. I have been doing a lot of reading on this site, it is a great place to learn.

I am not sure if this should be in the project section the more I think about it. Either way, thanks for looking and for all the great info.