General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

65 rear axle question

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2017, 07:21 AM

65 rear axle question

Trying to figure out exactly what I have for a rear axle in my 65 starfire. As far as I know it's not swapped with anything. I tried fitting a TA Performance cover on it for the easy drain and fill spots but it wouldn't fit. Was for BOP 8.2"/8.5" rear 10 bolt cover. I called them to let them know it didn't fit and they said I had an O type because of the 12 bolt ring gear. Been doing some digging and it seems like the O type didn't come around to 67 (but that's mostly info on A body's that I could find). Hemmings says it should have the standard olds 10 bolt, but they don't specify the if that's the ring bolts or cover. It is a posi unit with the optioned 3.42s. The internals are all in good shape. Slight drip out the pinion seal but all in all a strong unit, just want to know exactly what I have. Thanks!

Last edited by Classics65; April 15th, 2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old April 15th, 2017, 09:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

A-body info does not apply to your full size car, so don't even try to use any A-body parts on the rear axle. The only full size that used A-body axle parts was the 1964-66 Jetstar 88.

Olds used one of two axles on the non-J88 cars, the Pontiac 8.875" axle or the Oldsmobile Type O 9.3" axle. Do not confuse this big car Type O with the A-body Type O. They are COMPLETELY different axles and share NOTHING. The easy way to tell Pontiac from Olds is to look at the ribs on the side of the case. Parallel ribs are a Type O. Angled ribs are a Pontiac. Don't expect to find anyone selling a chromed rear cover for either axle. And no, the Pontiac 8.875" axle has nothing in common with the 8.875" Chevy 12 bolt axle, either.

Old April 15th, 2017, 09:22 AM

The rear in your Starfire is most likely a Pontiac unit with hourglass shaped rear 10 bolt cover. Its cool you have a posi and those 342 gears were the steepest Olds optioned for in your car. Cool!
Old April 15th, 2017, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
A-body info does not apply to your full size car, so don't even try to use any A-body parts on the rear axle. The only full size that used A-body axle parts was the 1964-66 Jetstar 88.

Olds used one of two axles on the non-J88 cars, the Pontiac 8.875" axle or the Oldsmobile Type O 9.3" axle. Do not confuse this big car Type O with the A-body Type O. They are COMPLETELY different axles and share NOTHING. The easy way to tell Pontiac from Olds is to look at the ribs on the side of the case. Parallel ribs are a Type O. Angled ribs are a Pontiac. Don't expect to find anyone selling a chromed rear cover for either axle. And no, the Pontiac 8.875" axle has nothing in common with the 8.875" Chevy 12 bolt axle, either.

that's why I was so confused. Only thing I could find on O type rear ends was for a bodies. I'll crawl back under and check the ribs to determine if it's an Olds or Pontiac. I just wanted a cover with the drain/fill ports and baring supports but I can make due with the stock cover. Assuming part availability on either the type p and o is scarce, should I be would worried about running my built 468ci through it? Going to use good racing fluid and additive if that helps

Last edited by Classics65; April 15th, 2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old April 15th, 2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
The rear in your Starfire is most likely a Pontiac unit with hourglass shaped rear 10 bolt cover. Its cool you have a posi and those 342 gears were the steepest Olds optioned for in your car. Cool!
Yea from what I'm reading in 65 not too many people optioned for the 3.42s. Just wish it had the 4spd manual haha. But 3.42s drove great on the old setup. Can't wait to see how they work with the cam thats spec'd for them and the heavier weight of the car!
Old April 15th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Classics65
that's why I was so confused. Only thing I could find on O type rear ends was for a bodies. I'll crawl back under and check the ribs to determine if it's an Olds or Pontiac. I just wanted a cover with the drain/fill ports and baring supports but I can make due with the stock cover. Assuming part availability on either the type p and o is scarce, should I be would worried about running my built 468ci through it? Going to use good racing fluid and additive if that helps
How do you plan to use the car? Even the Pontiac rear will be fine for street and occasional track use, but if you plan to regularly run at the strip with slicks, get a built nine inch.
Old April 15th, 2017, 09:45 AM

How do you plan to use the car? Even the Pontiac rear will be fine for street and occasional track use, but if you plan to regularly run at the strip with slicks, get a built nine inch.
mostly street maybe unprepared track use. The engine should put down in the neighborhood of 450 to 475 hp to wheels low to mid 500s ft-lbs of torque at the wheels. Want to run a soft compound grippy tire either drag radial or full slick on it. Probably won't see much prepped track use. But if to save the rear I might run a softer street tire to

Last edited by Classics65; April 15th, 2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old April 15th, 2017, 10:18 AM

Looks to be the Pontiac
Old April 16th, 2017, 04:37 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Are the axles the weak spot in these differential's? Just curious, he is very lucky to have good optional ratio.
Old April 16th, 2017, 05:15 PM

The 65 Starfire I have as a parts car came with a 3:23 Type P and so was the one I sold the rearend too. It is my understanding that 3:23 was the standard rear in those cars. I could be wrong but that was what I determined.

Larry